Fordmods Logo

That weird donut thingy... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: That weird donut thingy...
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

So out of interest what the hell is that roundish donut looking thing that hangs off the side of the air intake tube on the E series v8?

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Last edited by Landau510 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Thar weird donut thingy...
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

its called an intake damper. Its supposed to reduce the intake harmonics

Post subject: Re: That weird donut thingy...
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

i see....I wouldnt have thought in a short rubber tube there would have been much harmonics....does it really do anything?

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

It wasnt there in EB I, and is there after until EL so I guess it does.

Im sure the design reduces pulsing in the intake (due to valve opening/closing) but on my car its blocked off

Nigel

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

I remember Peter Brock marketed one for early injected GM's called the "energy polariser", and this device was resoundingly rubbished. I've always known the Ford version as "the dog turd". Who knows if they are beneficial. But from what I've seen, the dog turd wasn't made of sufficiently durable materials and most develop cracks along the molding seam line, which then leak unfiltered and unmetered air into the intake. I'm pretty sure this nullifies or exceeds any advantage they may produce. So I always swap cars to the EB1 pipe that doesn't carry the dog turd.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:13 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

Its listed in the parts list as a resonator.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
I remember Peter Brock marketed one for early injected GM's called the "energy polariser", and this device was resoundingly rubbished. I've always known the Ford version as "the dog turd". Who knows if they are beneficial. But from what I've seen, the dog turd wasn't made of sufficiently durable materials and most develop cracks along the molding seam line, which then leak unfiltered and unmetered air into the intake. I'm pretty sure this nullifies or exceeds any advantage they may produce. So I always swap cars to the EB1 pipe that doesn't carry the dog turd.

You remember wrong. The energy polariser was a box of electronic and rare earth crystal mumbo jumbo. It didnt even go anywhere near the air intake.
The dog turd is the dog turd. Reminds me to get some welsh plugs at the car bits shops today to block ours off.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I think some silver gaffer tape will do the trick....and look shiny...thats got to be worth an extra 10 jigawatts.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

stick a pod where its ment to be, fully sick induction noise and unmetered air going into the motor ftw!!

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

EVL098 wrote:
xafalcon wrote:

You remember wrong. The energy polariser was a box of electronic and rare earth crystal mumbo jumbo. It didnt even go anywhere near the air intake.
The dog turd is the dog turd. Reminds me to get some welsh plugs at the car bits shops today to block ours off.

You could be right, I'm no GM expert. Was it Walkinshaw who had the Holden version??

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Series 2 EL XR8

NSW, Australia

The Holden version of the dog turd, or the Energy Polarizer? Pretty sure the VL Walky (I assume thats the one you're referring to?) had twin throttle bodies with very short intake hoses, and the Polariser wasn't ever fitted to anything other than the Brock HDT cars - Brock thought they should be standard fitment on all cars, Holden wanted to test the things to prove whether they actually did anything and Brock told them that the equipment required to test the beneficial effects of the Polarizer hadn't been invented yet..... :shock: I believe Bev Brock started making them again last year, and whoever owns the HDT name at the moment was putting them in the ghastly "VL Retro" (google it. have a bucket handy :lol: )

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]