Fordmods Logo

The 8 keeps slipping into neutral or different gears 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The 8 keeps slipping into neutral or different gears
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

Been a while since i've been in here on the forums...
Anyway, i cant remember what it was and how i did it but im 100%
sure it was a speed sensor or selector switch that is the cause for this
transmission funkiness. Has anyone recently had this happen to their auto?
By the way its a EF v8

Post subject: bands
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

sounds like the bands have gone in the auto box time to get it rebuilt or get another box and your user name doesnt make sense. I own a fairmont with a XR front end but do you see me calling my car a XR8 fairmont its sounds wrong and fairmont is prestige where as XR is sport stock as a rock set up as interior wise no extra's like climate control,power windows etc etc

MEMBER 1390

Post subject: Re: bands
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
I own a fairmont with a XR front end but do you see me calling my car a XR8 fairmont its sounds wrong and fairmont is prestige where as XR is sport stock as a rock set up as interior wise no extra's like climate control,power windows etc etc

Maybe he is like me, and owns an XR8 AND a Fairmont!!

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:
Ben_Daui wrote:
I own a fairmont with a XR front end but do you see me calling my car a XR8 fairmont its sounds wrong and fairmont is prestige where as XR is sport stock as a rock set up as interior wise no extra's like climate control,power windows etc etc

Maybe he is like me, and owns an XR8 AND a Fairmont!!

And whos showing off now?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:

Well, the line is blurry to say the least. XRs are typically based around the Futura which itself has a number of "luxury" (at least in Ford parlance) features like front electric, body coloured mirrors and mouldings etc. It's blurred even further when you consider the Fairmont Ghias (from EF Series 2 and onward) are typically given XR engines and suspension. Still, I tend to agree with xr8 fairmont being a fairly silly label however he's free to call his car or make his username whatever he wants (within reason of course) making the point largely moot.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ben_Daui wrote:
sounds like the bands have gone in the auto box time to get it rebuilt or get another box and your user name doesnt make sense. I own a fairmont with a XR front end but do you see me calling my car a XR8 fairmont its sounds wrong and fairmont is prestige where as XR is sport stock as a rock set up as interior wise no extra's like climate control,power windows etc etc

Right, and who are you to criticize someone about their username choice?

Anyway xr8fairmont, what level of tranny fluid have you got?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

I wouldn't rush into panic mode about bands or other internal nastiness yet. As Vic suggested, check the fluid level in the trans. To me it sounds like the same sort of trouble other people on here have had when the inhibitor switch on the side of the trans has started to play up. Put the shifter into 1st and accelerate gently, if the trans shifts gears while the selector is in 1st its definately the inhibitor switch.
Also, how hot is the trans getting, is it only happening when you give the car a hard flog? Are you running a cooler on it?

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

My EF V8 kept jumping into neutral or other gears. It was the selector switch (that also contains the neutral start switch).

Costs about $65 including fitting and most auto trans repairers have them in stock as this is a common fault.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XB 351 V8 & BA GT

NSW, Australia

f**k u can be b**ch lot! "Ohh I dont like his name , I dont like his name!" Poor bastard just wants to know about his tranny! :wink: :wink:

XB 351 and BA GT

FordMods No: 288

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

just a weried user name sorry for the s**t I mean my user name is my name as Im lazy :lol:

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

mines doin the same thing

i doubt its the inhibitor switch as it doesnt cause that to happen normally, if its slipping its the bands inside the box unfortunately!

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I bet my left one it is the inhibitor/selector sensor. The way I read the title the box isn't slipping as such, it's jumping into other gears. Most EFs seem to do this at some point (as mine did).

And Fairmont1998 is right, if you put it in 1st but it still changes gears that shows it is the selector switch. Mine did it.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

Boy did i just open a can of worms. Didn't get a single complaint when i was on here three months ago... You guys crack me up. Thanx for the advice though. I think it is the speed sensor, auto electrician will plug in
and read the codes on wednesday...

By the way, yes i do own both an xr(classic machine) and a EF(fairmont). My third driving car is an EF fairmont base with a modified xr8 motor installed from an EL. The air con is gone as it decided to blow some smoke at me and start ticking away under the back of the ashtray meanwhile completely deciding to automatically select which temperature and level of fan to give me(54C at full on my feet...hahaha) simple solution was to completely remove the fuse for it and hope that another window doesnt snap a cable...
Anyway i ramble...It goes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat WITHOUT air con and having a drivers window thats broken really cuts down on smoking, both are good? things?

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

raiki wrote:
I bet my left one it is the inhibitor/selector sensor. The way I read the title the box isn't slipping as such, it's jumping into other gears. Most EFs seem to do this at some point (as mine did).

And Fairmont1998 is right, if you put it in 1st but it still changes gears that shows it is the selector switch. Mine did it.

If you put it into any gear 1/2/3 and it goes through changing all the gears then YES it is your Inhibitor Switch.

But if it slips and goes to neutral or bounces/humps through the gears when changing its the solenoids inside the box or the bands.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Fuzion

When my selector sensor was faulty it jumped into neutral more than any other gear. There is nothing wrong with the rest of my box, it drives like new now the sensor has been replaced.

My tip here is take the easy/cheap route and get the sensor changed. If the box still doesn't work properly then you haven't blown a heap of cash on a hunch and you've replaced something that was probably on its way out anyway.

Adrian

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next