Fordmods Logo

Thermo fans 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Thermo fans
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8 Ute

NSW, Australia

I have a BA XR8 5spd ute 2004 with 130000km on it.(bought 3 months ago)Im really happy with the car but I noticed the thermo fans or fan were coming on far too often even while driving at 80kph or 100kph.The temperature gauge was only on the 1st mark and A/C off.
I took it to a radiator place where they put a scan tool on and discovered the fans were coming on at
a temperature of 80deg and cutting out at about 73deg is this normal? Could it cause engine damage runing this cool?Has anyone has had similar troubles?

I'm taking the car to an auto electrician tomorrow to have checked.

Post subject: Re: Thermo fans
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Why don't you take it to Ford and see if there is a PCM update or any codes lodged in the computer.

The IDS is going to be more useful that some scan tool a radiator shop has and the auto sparky wont be able to tell you squat because a temp sensor feeds into the PCM and it turns the fans on... You know all that parts works so you need to interrogate the PCM to find out why...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi Tim thanks for your reply. I actually went to a ford dealership to ask them to check the thermo fan and as I was booking it in this guy behind the counter who I took for the sevice manager over heard me and he more or less said sure we can check it but it sounds normal to me so it did'nt give me much confidence in going there.
Anyway will try the auto sparky and see what happens.

cheers.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You could start by finding out what the thermostat is they run? I know the E series falcons and that are around the 92degree mark, so you don't want your thermos coming on before it opens because there is no point...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The thermostats for BA/BF 6cyl NA are 92c and are the same as the AU ones.
The EA/EL are different type thermostats.

I asked one of our Mechanics and he wasn't too forth coming. Highly unlikely the temp sensor is your problem but the Mechanic says it COULD be the PCM having issues as it is intermittent.
Might be an idea to check all the electrical connections on harnesses under the bonnet as it is possible the connectors are not pressed in properly?

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

George,

A PCM update may fix the issue if all else fails? There commonly seems to be module updates in the IDS, esp for the older B series models now.

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

True but our Technicians don't know. :)

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Had the ute checked today by the auto sparky and all is ok except the fans are cutting in at 80deg and out at 77deg. My guess now is that the ECU has been
flashed to run this way so I think I will look for a dyno tune where they can tell me the state
of tune its in.

cheers

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I was searching through a workshop manual for BAs and found that if the cylinder head temp sensor
stops working then the PCM can't pick up the correct engine temp and so it will turn on the thermo fans at 80deg.This is like a protectve mode so it won't cook itself I guess.mmmmm thats what mine does so off to Ford its going. I booked it in today and was told though that they might not be able to find any faults or codes.
There has to be something amiss when the thermostat is not suppose to open until 87 to 91 deg but the fans cut in at 80deg. Just hope they find something that won't cost an arm and leg to fix.

cheers

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well Well Well I received some info today about my ute. I wrote a letter to the first owner
hoping he could tell me a bit about the history of the ute when he owned it. Not thinking I would get a reply. I did he said he put the exhaust headers on ,(I thought they were standard)CAI, a sports exhaust and said he had the ECU flashed at intune motorsport.No cams or anything.Apparently keeping the engine between 80 and 75deg gives more power.Not sure if thats good for the engine though.The figure of 265 rwkw was mentioned after a dyno run which is good I guess,as Ive said before the thing goes and sounds great but those noisy thermos are annoying.So now I will cancel with Ford and either take it back to intune or find a dyno tuner here and get a custom tune done but really the only thing I want to change is to set the fans to come on at a higher temp and maybe a to have a bit more low down power.

cheers

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's got me stuffed... Why bring the thermos on at 80 if the thermostat is closed?

You checked the thermostat to see what temp it is rated at and or replaced it with a std one?

If you want the engine to run colder why not get a thermostat that opens lower, as opposed to running the thermos when the thermostat is closed... Makes no sense and wont do stuff all...

Engine running at 92 degrees will give fuel economy too... That's where they're designed to run, though I suppose a tune in the PCM will upset all that anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah sorry Tim the previous owner did say they (intune motorsport) put a thermostat in that is fully open before the fans cut in when they tuned it. I think he said an apprentice was the one who said
by keeping the engine below 80deg will give more power when the ECU was flashed.
I will go back to standard with the thermostat and tune it for power below 4000rpm as thats about all I have taken it to since Ive owned it and I was going fast enough.I want a lot more engine life yet.
Might get a compression test done too. It does'nt burn oil so thats a good sign.
Fuel economy wise its been getting about 20mpg,thats 75% around town and towing a trailer so not too bad I suppose,but would like a bit better economy If it can after tuning.

Hows Leeton mate? I got lots of relies there,been a few years since my last visit.

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]