Thermo's on Nc 5L 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Thermo's on Nc 5L
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Does the radiator have a drain plug? If so, you can use that to fit a temp switch to turn the fans on, then just fit a set of fans from a EF or EL to your NC.

I have a davies craig switch setup & it leaks when it wants to, even with a new radiator hose. Other times it won't leak for weeks at a time, then it starts to leak again. I'll be looking at fitting a switch to the radiator & ditching the davies craig switch.

They do have one on the market that is designed to fit between the fins on the radiator now, as an upgrade for those with the older probe switch setup, seen it in the catalog the other day at work.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

would just like it to ato switch on when the temp get up there maybe 80 degree's or so. If I put a manual switch on there and the missus is driving it on the odd occasion I cant guarantee she will remeber to turn it on

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
would just like it to ato switch on when the temp get up there maybe 80 degree's or so. If I put a manual switch on there and the missus is driving it on the odd occasion I cant guarantee she will remeber to turn it on

Steal a temp switch from a car that has one in the radiator, there are plenty of them around. These get wired up to automatically turn the fans on. Then if required use a thread adapter to adapt it to the drain plug hole. This is what I'm doing with my new radiator for the mighty boy, as it does not have a hole for a temp probe. There is a wide range of temp probes available brand new in the aftermarket from places like Repco & Bursons.

So a trip to Pirtek for a couple of fittings and now it has a temp probe in the bottom tank. This can then be hooked upto a relay to turn the fans on when the coolant get's hot enough.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Good idea but I think the radiator does not have a drain plug as I cannot remember seeing one when I was thinking about dropping the rad to get to the harmonic. The thermo's I saw done had a plug retrofitted near the return hose inlet and had a module that had a temp dial on it. I know the aftermarket jobbies that someone posted on here might be good but for $400, well if I can do it using what I have and cut the costs down than that means more money for more mods. I also have been told the factory fit Ef thermo's are more reliable than the aftermarket ones?
This may sound silly but I have gone cams, blueprints, turbo's, chargers etc in other cars before but never wired a set of thermo's before lol. Think it will make a big difference though, I also think the clutch fans on the way out anyways so may aswell improve than replace. Thanks all for input guys. All info is greatly apreciated.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

something i looked into for the 5l is drilling and taping a hole in the top of the thermostat housing (there is actually a perfect spot for it if you look) and finding a tridon temp switch that fits nicely and wire that up, will almost look factory, there was some talk of it on here a while ago but i havent seen it done yet

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Tee into your heater pipes where the current temp sensors are fitted to fit a sensor. That way you switch on the actual engine temp and use one of these....
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5381

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That sounds like an idea xr, I know the spot too. Suppose the only thing I can think of that would be a drama is hiding the wires, those switches on top of the housing can be a bit of a wire mess sometimes and a plug down the side of the radiator can mean a factory job look to the untrained eye and leads more to wire hiding aswell. Wish I'd see that bloke again that had it done up here in the mountains, he had an ed 5L and it looked pretty good. He said he had to wire it up himself but got the plug fitted at a radiator place up here ( aftermarket sensor like said in previous threads). Will have to call the local boys when they open again for the new year and find out were he got it done.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nice idea Xr9ute, but give me a couple mins to upload some pics.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've got a junk radiator lying around, it will be going to scrap once I salvage the tanks off it, but it was good to show what I'm talking about. It is an after market radiator to suit EA -> ED Falcon's, lanes & ltd's. I am yet to see one without a drain plug, it is receased & needs a star screw driver to remove it.

Only issue with sticking a temp probe in there is clearance at the bottom of the rad support, but I think there will be enough room for a probe & it's wiring. I'm going to search around for a probe & I can run a test fit in my parts car before I scrap the shell. Below are some pics for you all.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ill have another look torry, was honestly looking for more of a typical drain plug so might be right. Would be a shame to loose the radiator as its only about 12 months old ( last guy installed it new before I bought it) so that might be a go. Maybe if I drilled a hole through the front chasssis ( dont know that might be illegal) and as long as there was enough room to fit a spanner in between the front chassis and the probe should work and look quite neat. Funny how much clearance there is between the thermo's and the front of the block when the clutchy goes hey.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

For those without climate control you can screw into the hole that's already in the heater pipes. With the Jaycar temp switch you may be able to use factory climate control sensor too?

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Have a read of documents.php?d=97 too - might give you some ideas.
It's easy to forget what stuff is in the docos.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2