Fordmods Logo

Thoughts on using oil flush? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Thoughts on using oil flush?
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi guys, i have bought an NC 5.0 the oil in the car was very black and it seems that there is some sludge on the bottom of the dipstick. i think there might be a fair amont of gunk in the motor, proabably due to the previous owner being slack on the oil cahnges.

question is, am i better off using an oil flush to try and clean this stuff out or just buy a couple of cheap bottles of oil and cheap filters and do a couple of quick runs then flush the oil out and hope that clears it.

its jsut that i have hear before that the oil flush can break up hard carbon and deposit it around the engine including in the lifters leading to lifter tick and other damage?

thoughts???

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

Old oil will not dislodge the sludge.

Buy some cheap oil and some diesel fuel and two filters (3 prefered)

Then:
Drain oil.
Change filter, fill motor with 2L oil and 2L Fuel.
Run motor for 10 mins. Do not rev, idle only.
Drain (if you bought 3 filters change again)
Fill again with 3L oil plus 2L fuel
Run motor again as above
Drain again.
New filer and oil.

The clean oil lubricates whilst the fuel cleans. They then carry the sludge out. Your motor would almost be new inside now. (depending on amount of sludge).

After 5000 klms, do change. If you find sludge, then repeat above. It may take more than one session!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

DIESEL???, we arent in the 50s so i wouldnt be pouring diesel into my 5.0., that is the kind of s**t you do to a dirty old landcruiser donk
Just run cheap oil for a few hundred ks then drop it,change filter and repeat the process.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:24 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EA SPAC 1990

VIC, Australia

I agree with LTDHO, when i bought my car 8yr ago i found the same crap engine oil in it as you did with the sludge, i gave it a couple of flushes using pretty much the same process as LTDHO and it came up trumps, wont harm the engine just as long as you dont run it for to long.

WHO EVER SAID "TWOS COMPANY THREES A CROWD" OBVIOUSLY NEVER HAD A THREESOME

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You can buy " Engine oil flush" from Repco or similar places made by Nulon. Thats the one I use. Get engine hot, then pour in the Nulon flush, run engine at a fast idle ( put some cardboard under the throttle stop screw ) so engine is doing about 1,200 to 1,500 rpm. Leave it like this for about 1/2 hour, then turn off and drain and change oil filter. Repeat this every oil change ( 6 months or about 3,500km ) for about 5 or 6 oil changes. This does work, BUT....there is nothing like pulling the engine down and cleaning it that way, new bearings, rings, oil seals & gaskets.
Depends on how far you want to go.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thanks guys, my main concern was if the dislodged gunk will float around the engine causing other problems such as blocking the lifters, dmaging bearings etc? dont want to fix one problem only to cause a more expensive one!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I put diesel oil in my engine and went for a long drive.. when I came back I changed it..

diesel oil full of strong detergents.. worked wonders.. inside of engine went from black to silver.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

green car wrote:
DIESEL???, we arent in the 50s so i wouldnt be pouring diesel into my 5.0., that is the kind of s**t you do to a dirty old landcruiser donk
Just run cheap oil for a few hundred ks then drop it,change filter and repeat the process.

Depends if you want to clean the engine out or use cheap oil and not remove the sludge...

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:46 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

you can also use power steering fluid. the power steering fluid has alot of lubricants and detergents in it, put it in cold, warm the motor with a short GENTLE drive, leave the car sit at idle for about 10-15 mins shut it off, let it cool, change oil as per normal. ultimatly depending on how sludged up your motor is, will depend on what steps you need to take. Diesel is a good option to, don't fear that things are gonna blow up. main reason i suggest power steering fluid over diesel is thats it easier on seals and rubbers, with the fluid designed to be used with both. I would suggest upping the frequency of the oil changes for a while too, maybe do a couple of changes within 2500km, the sludge will break away over a period of time. Recently at my local fraud dealer, they had a special on oil filters. 10 for $55. motor craft ones too. but your in vic and my local dealer is in syd, so probably no help to you.

hope this helps

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

frankieh wrote:
I put diesel oil in my engine and went for a long drive.. when I came back I changed it..

diesel oil full of strong detergents.. worked wonders.. inside of engine went from black to silver.

will diesel oil do any harm to the engine internals at all?

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

diesel will be fine, but your only using about 300-350mls its not like your replacing your oil with diesel. Reason I suggested power steering fluid is the high amounts of detergents, plus 1 bottle for the oil change is a good mix.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

diesel oil will do no damage at all to your engine.. as long as you don't leave it in the engine indefinitely (and probably not even then if it's the right viscosity)..

basically Diesels have a real problem with soot and other buildups..so diesel oil has much stronger detergents to deal with it.. those same detergents do a pretty good job at cleaning out a sludge filled motor.

Worked great for my old ED motor which had sludge all though it and stuck to the rocker gear etc.. all gone now.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD FAIRMONT GHIA

NSW, Australia

Heard a 50/50 mix of diesel and cheapie oil is the way to go. Personally i just run cleaner and cheap oil idle for 20 minutes dump it then due it again and run it for a day or 2 on the cheap and oil flush and then the new stuff changing the filter every time.

then after that to keep the car regular use the engine flush and good oil. i personally buy the workshop grade (steel can nulon trade only stuff) in bulk for a years supply (fuel cleaner, oil flush, and the anti-wear/tune, cant get the radiator one anymore).

http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?pr ... em_Cleaner

Engine;
351 Crank, 302 Rods, Custom Forged Pistons, Blue Print & Balanced Bottom End, Crower Stage 5 Cam (Cam Specs), 4V Funnelweb Manifold (Injection Modified), CHI 3V Heads

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TUF250 wrote:
frankieh wrote:

will diesel oil do any harm to the engine internals at all?

nope. i've had Gulf Western XDO diesel oil in the AU 6cyl for about 2000km now. will leave it in untill it's 5000km, then i'll be using a full synthetic 0W20 oil after that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]