Fordmods Logo

Timing marks wrong?? WTF?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Timing marks wrong?? WTF??
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi guys, got a real weird problem...when I put this 351 cleveland into my car, it was running poorly - I mucked around with a few things including moving the dissy to get it to run better - tuning it by ear, I've got it running really sweetly. Anyway, just bought a timing light to do a proper job of it and thats where the confusion starts...I marked 12 degress btdc on dampener, started it up, and can't see the mark... that's because its like a third of the way around the circumference of the dampener away from the fixed pointer....so I loosen the dissy, turn it back to try and line it up, and it runs worse and worse (like heaps retarded) until it stalls way before I can get to the mark - so obviously the timing marks, for whatever reason, are `wrong'....at least in relation to the dissy etc as things are..(remember the car is running sweet as, really powerful, no pinging) What do you think? I've been scratching my head and all I can think of is that the harmonic balancer somehow isn't where it should be on the crank? Or maybe the dissy has been installed a tooth out?? I'm timing off number one plug, which unless I'm mistaken is frontmost plug on the left as you stand in front of the car (i.e. driver's side)

Any ideas???

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

not uncommon at all the harmonic balacer has a rubber mounted outer ring which can slip over time on the odd occassion. Take number 1 spark plug out and turn by hand until the piston is at the top. you can gently feel the top of the piston with a thin screw driver to assess this. If the rotor button is within cooey of the number one lead then thats top dead centre if its around the other side then turn the motor one more revolution and recheck.
At the point where you are within coooey of the number one lead with the rotor button then loosen the dizzy ad turn it until it aligns correctly to the lead..
While you are dead postive that the piston is at the extreme top and it is in fact the firing stroke then your balancer should show TDC if not remark it with some paint. Anyway that should get you started.

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Could the balancer be to suit a different pointer position, or was there only one pointer position on the Clevo's. Could it also be that the cam timing is retarded, and requires this much static advance to make up for the cam being out, or did you not do a cam on this motor? Just bouncing ideas....

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks guys, I did a bit of research myself and suspected the balancer - checked it last nite and it is solid as a rock. I've tuned it by ear, winding back after a few runs to be just this side of pinging, runs really nicely at the moment...

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

even if a balancer has slipped you most likely wont be able to tell by looking at it. need to remark TDC #1 and work off the new mark..

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yep, thanks for that - good advice.

Cheers!

Post subject: Balancer = Balance
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

QLD, Australia

Hi. Do yourself a favour , buy a new balancer and fit it. Reason is balancer is there for a reason. To externaly balance the crank.
If the balancer moves at all. like a few degrees engine is unbalanced. which means less horsepower and shaking engine. You prob will do engine damage if you dont change it.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Yes a slipped balancer is an issue, A REALLY good way to set timing when youre running a cam with a bit of overlap is with a vacuum gauge. A mild stick will have about 20 inches of vacuum (thereabouts) Advance the timing until you get the maximum vacuum on the gauge and then retard it around an inch vacuum. If it pings it`ll need more fuel or alternatively retard it another inch.If it runs a Holley you can tune it with a Power Valve and jets to get it right. Retarding the timing will stop it pinging but slow it down somewhat.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]