urgent help after washing engine bay 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: urgent help after washing engine bay
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

i washed my engine bay with a hose and scrubber it started fine then last night started it and it wouldnt turn of so i disconnected the battery then connected it but the ignition stays on and the warning lights all come up as well as my dash and ABS modural making an earthing out sound with out a key even in it when i start the car and drive it the traction control light and ABS light stays on

ive never had a problem with this car now im tryin to sell it and this happens wtffffffff

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Post subject: Re: urgent help after washing engine bay
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

not sure what the probs is, but never ever wash your engine bay with the car off...big no no, its a bad idea to do it in the first place, u dont just splash a hose into it, specially the older cars, from now on make sure if your gonna do it, make sure the car is running when u wash it down, then let it run for a while after youve washed it, till the water has gone, or take it for a drive to get rid of the water asap.

and dont splash the hose around the engine bay like its going out of fashion, just degrease the areas of concern and wash it away, uve got water into the electronics, and water + electronics = not good, hopefully u can fix it, but ive seen many cars not start after being given a good engine bay shower, fingers crossed.. and the fact ur car started but didnt wanna turn off seems it could be worse lol, to the auto electrician you shall probably have to go.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

LOLHSV wrote:
not sure what the probs is, but never ever wash your engine bay with the car off...big no no, its a bad idea to do it in the first place, u dont just splash a hose into it, specially the older cars, from now on make sure if your gonna do it, make sure the car is running when u wash it down, then let it run for a while after youve washed it, till the water has gone, or take it for a drive to get rid of the water asap.

and dont splash the hose around the engine bay like its going out of fashion, just degrease the areas of concern and wash it away, uve got water into the electronics, and water + electronics = not good, hopefully u can fix it, but ive seen many cars not start after being given a good engine bay shower, fingers crossed.. and the fact ur car started but didnt wanna turn off seems it could be worse lol, to the auto electrician you shall probably have to go.

You've gotta be joking don't you? Where is your facts and evidence on this?

I pressure wash under my bonnet all the time... It is perfectly fine... and it is rather hard to do the timing case when you have a belt spinning around and you're trying not to get the pressure washer nozzle caught in it... That has got to be biggest load of crap ever... You'd be one of those people who drives around with a putrid engine bay then?

Think about it... The motor is sealed... It's not like you do it with the oil cap off... The motor has water inside it... So why would washing it hurt... What do you think happens when it rains and you're doing 100km/hr? What do you think happens when you hit a puddle?

The only correct thing you have said is sometimes the car wont start... Now yes this is true... BUT it is only true if something is wrong... For example... Mine wouldn't start one day... Had no spark... Turns out the coil had a fatigue line in it... This meant I could fix it in the back yard, as opposed to going on holidays in the winter and the over night dew settling into the coil and me being stuck out of town...

The electronics are sealed... What do you think happens when it rains and you're doing 100km/hr? Hang on have I said that... Next time it rains... Check your engine bay... I bet it is soaked everywhere except for the extractors... The electronics are sealed... The critical plugs have seals in them... If something stops it is because it was on the way out anyway and would have stranded you on the side of the road...

Still can't believe you said that... You seriously believe you can't intentionally put a single drop of water in the engine bay? You really have never looked in there when you're out driving and it is raining?

:|

Anyway... When you turn the key off the ign power to computer is killed... You sure it isn't coincidently the barrel playing up? Also if it has a coil the power to the coil is killed as well when you turn the key off... The accy relay in the dash isn't stuck on? Just seem like it could be engine bay related... Tap water usually wont conduct 12V DC... 30,000V out of your coil it will... But you'd want salt water to conduct 12V DC to make something stick on...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
misc-jackie-chan-l.png
misc-jackie-chan-l.png [ 158.55 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

so awesome for you to take everything i said and take it out of context.... :wink:

if you read what i wrote, and then what you wrote, AND then read what I wrote again, it makes no sense, i dont know how.. "you dont just go splashing water through your engine bay like its going outta fashion" compares to "You seriously believe you can't intentionally put a single drop of water in the engine bay? You really have never looked in there when you're out driving and it is raining?"....

i think splashin the ol' hose in there while the engine is off, and cold is a bit more hectic than some rain splashing into the engine bay while your driving, and is hot.. i dont, infact, believe a single drop of water in your engine bay can fk it up, but i do believe, infact, that splashin the hose in there can somewhat cause a little more moistness to the general engine bay area, then some rain flying in from driving on the high way, and im not too sure if you are familiar with what happens to water when it comes into contact with heat... but anyways im sure u can figure that out for your self champion.

pretty much everything u said here, is fkin retarded, and your title of " technical coordinator" should be taken from you and replaced with a coned dunce hat, and be made to sit in a corner for 20 mins to think about what you have done...

never gonna see how you can compare washing out your engine bay with a hose while the engine is off and cold, to some rain splashing into the hot engine bay while your driving.... I still cant believe YOU said that...

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

LOLHSV wrote:
Attachment:
misc-jackie-chan-l.png

so awesome for you to take everything i said and take it out of context.... :wink:

if you read what i wrote, and then what you wrote, AND then read what I wrote again, it makes no sense, i dont know how.. "you dont just go splashing water through your engine bay like its going outta fashion" compares to "You seriously believe you can't intentionally put a single drop of water in the engine bay? You really have never looked in there when you're out driving and it is raining?"....

i think splashin the ol' hose in there while the engine is off, and cold is a bit more hectic than some rain splashing into the engine bay while your driving, and is hot.. i dont, infact, believe a single drop of water in your engine bay can fk it up, but i do believe, infact, that splashin the hose in there can somewhat cause a little more moistness to the general engine bay area, then some rain flying in from driving on the high way, and im not too sure if you are familiar with what happens to water when it comes into contact with heat... but anyways im sure u can figure that out for your self champion.

pretty much everything u said here, is fkin retarded, and your title of " technical coordinator" should be taken from you and replaced with a coned dunce hat, and be made to sit in a corner for 20 mins to think about what you have done...

never gonna see how you can compare washing out your engine bay with a hose while the engine is off and cold, to some rain splashing into the hot engine bay while your driving.... I still cant believe YOU said that...

and yet i believe what you said is stupid, and beleive in what TimmyA said,i always pressure wash my engine with water while cold,have done it with 3 different falcons, plus a milion old carby fed 4 cylinders and not once have i had a problem, apart from having to remove the dizzy on my mates old ute when he directly pointed water at it, i wiped the cap out with my shirt and away it went again, not a problem, you are supposed to put plastic bags over anything you may be worryed about(distributor etc..) but this is the only problem ive ever had and it was because my mate pointed the nozzle square at it, i have done my el now 3 times under the bonnet, and not once has it even hesitated to start on me afterwards, and i spend alot of time hosing s**t down in there,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You're telling him if you splash a hose (tending to imply a slow stream of non pressurised water) is going to cause his car certain death

Quote:
not sure what the probs is, but never ever wash your engine bay with the car off...big no no, its a bad idea to do it in the first place

Quote:
but ive seen many cars not start after being given a good engine bay shower, fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed? Like there is a 60% chance the car will never run again?

And in the last statement...

Quote:
a bit more hectic

Quote:
a little more moistness

Just a bit more? Just a little more? It seems the intensity of your initial statement has somewhat dissipated... No such a serious factor now?

You started off saying not even an unpressurised hose was not acceptable... Couldn't do it by any stretch of the imagination... Now it is OK because it only causes a "little bit" of water in there?

Seems so stupid of you to bring up evaporation... Ever left Sydney and riven through a puddle... Or followed someone else who has hit a puddle... And I mean a big puddle... The amount of water that flies up into your engine bay soaks everything before it evaporates... Only places you'd expect quick evaporation would be the extractors or the block... And what do you know, these parts get so hot they don't mount the electronics on them anyway (remember the electronics you brought up?)... So the externally mounted electronics do get wet before evaporating... Water cooled (not water logged) electronics work far better than air cooled electronics...

Ok then if "you so smart"... Why are 4wd vehicles able to cross water ways and literally fill the engine bay with water? And I'm telling you A common rail diesel has a s**t load more electronics than my ED petrol motor... So if you can't put a slow running hose in your bay for fear of certain death of the engine... The fact that a 4wd can cross a waterway must be as much of a mystery to you as the big bang is to the rest of us...

I am a technical contributor (not coordinator, that really makes no sense... but each to their own I guess) because I pass on TECHNICAL knowledge backed by facts... You come up with some half assed reason that makes as much sense as tits on a bull... And then change how serious the facts were in the next reply... From intentional watering of any kind being a massive no no... To just a bit more hectic than rain...

Here's an idea for you... Go down to your local dealer and watch how the detailer cleans the engine bay of a car down... Or the mechanic when he's had a leak and sprayed oil everywhere... Say for the sake of an example... Changing the head gasket on a falcon and having an oil stained block due to the bit of oil that leaks and drips as your pulling things apart... I think you may be rudely surprised...

Still stand by the fact I have pressure washed (yes 2000 psi) my motor for the last 5 years I've had the ED and only ever got stuck once because of the fatigued coil... I'd sooner it happen at the car wash just behind home instead of 500km away when I have no tools or spare parts...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

mmm this turned into a Krudd certified shltstorm preety quik huh. :lol: :lol:

for the record i have pressure waseh my engine. i was a bit hesiant but i also sprayed some crap out of where the injectors and coils were sitting and was fine.. BA V8.

gotta be more wiring in there than the old Eseries :wink: :P

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah would think so Benny... Like most modern vehicles your PCM is under the bonnet... Mine is inside high and dry... But again Ford thought about it... Put all the plugs in the bottom of it to help avoid moisture ingress... It is a sealed unit... Cam plugs on it I think? With he O ring seals in them... Still got me beat how this running hose that you splash around is going cause these electronics certain death...

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

lol...

so you think the concept behind cool water hitting a hot engine whilst driving is the same as high pressure washing a cold engine that is not running?...note, that I never disagreed with anything to do with you cunnts washin out your engine bays... do what you want if it works for you i couldnt give a shiit.. high pressure rinse your engine bays out all you want, how you want, when you want, why you want... i only said something about it in my first post, that it is not a good idea to splash the hose around in your cold non running engine bay. Not my fault he got cut, and had to make an idiot of him self, go to any half decent car wash, mechanic ect... theyll tell you its better to wash out your engine bay while the motor is running....

Its fantastic that youve washed your engine bay out 3 times with out the motor running and not had a problem..and that you agree with timmyA that its sweet to wash out your engine bay with out the motor running ... good on you...

but, washing your motor down with out it running, compared to rain splashing into the engine bay while its hot, and your driving, is ridiculous, when its raining and the motor is hot and your driving any water that gets into the engine bay, evaporates from the heat...

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

meh...technical CONTRIBUTOR... still think u should wear a coned dunce hat and sit in a corner, you took my initial statement of not washing down the engine bay while its off, and instead, wash it down while its running...and turned it into this stupid idea of comparing it to getting rain into the engine bay while your driving...

your argument is invalid...

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

LOLHSV wrote:
note, that I never disagreed with anything to do with you cunnts washin out your engine bays...

all i hear is blah blah mang mang b**ch b**ch cry wah... go stick a tampon up your cuunt. i think theres blood coming out.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

lol..eat a diick redneck..

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

Good idea, best i've heard yet. Second best way to crack your head by spraying water on hot running engine. Best way is to tip it in the radiator without engine running and crack it from the inside out. How do you think car detailers do it.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

I wipe my engine bay down every so often with a damp cloth and some trim detailer.

Haven't had the need nor the want to use a hose/pressure washer.

Take notes kiddies.. :roll:

EL Ghia

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

When I worked at the Ford dealership, they told us NOT to wash the V8 engines/bays......coz it takes 3 days in the sun to dry out and get running again.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next