V10 test fit in ED 

Page 5 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: V10 test fit in ED
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I didn't look at the engine mounts because you'd likely use BA mounts and just mod the K-member to suit. You certainly wouldn't use crappy EB-D ones. Might be good time to use an EF-L K-member which also have good mounts.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Not going to say was considering it for an AU. I'm meant to be selling it and buying something I won't be tempted to further play with and with more torque for easier towing....f**k. :lol:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:01 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

An AU may have bonnet clearance issues....well, more than the other vehicles anyway.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

All the crown vic/marauder conversions I can find haven't been finished :(

Does appear the best option for auto would be using F series PCM to control engine then Baumann to control the tranny. Was curious to see what transmission they put in an alleged "Police Interceptor" crown victoria that was made as a test. Apparently it used the v10 & tranny from an F series, but I haven't actually seen anywhere confirming it was a 4R100, which would have been a big PITA to fit.

Good to see d***head on other countries forums too; was a great argument when someone claimed they had switched a 4r100 and 4r70w on an F truck and it was plug and play.

As far as bonnet height goes could always get a bulge/fab up a low slung manifold. I am more concerned with mounts/accessories/engine wiring/starter/steering column (although same applies to exhaust manifold as intake).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:15 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Have you seen this one...
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5- ... l-v10.html
I think the Crown Vic has a pretty big tunnel so i suppose E4OD based trans could fit. But there sure are a lot of unfinshed ones out there.
There's a guy in Perth putting a 3V in an XC ute but the whole chassis has been chopped up so it's not going to be a street registerable car anymore...I haven't heard from him for awhile so don't know how far he got.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Here's an excerpt from a discussion on a truck forum about comparisons between the V10 and the new 6.2 Hurricane V8....

"The 2 valve V10 did not flow air very freely, and had quite a bit less power than the 3 Valve V10's. I had one of each, with another 3 Valve on order. Comparing the 3 Valve:

The SD 6.2 reaches it's max HP of 385 @ 5500 RPM.
The 3V V10 reaches it's max HP of 362 @ 4750 RPM.

23 HP more, but at 750 more RPM. 6.5% more HP @ but 15% more RPM to get it, Pretty much a toss up.

The 6.2 (using the F250 rating) reaches its max TQ of 405 @ 4500 RPM
The 3V V10 Reaches it's max TQ of 457 @ 3250 RPM The 3V V10 has 90% of it's torque available by only 1600 RPM (more than the 6.2 puts out at any RPM)

That's 52 TQ more, at 1250 RPM less, or about 38% less rpm to achieve 13% more TQ.
Clearly a V10 win.

That adds up to the V10 having a way more usable power range. Overall win in power goes to the the 3V V10. The 6.2 will get about 10% better fuel economy.

I'm not saying the 6.2 is weak, only that the 3V V10 is better in power for those actually working them. Unloaded, the 6.2 should be just as quick because of the 6 speed auto trans (The V10 still only comes with a 5 speed auto) The 3V V10 will tow better. "

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

double

EVL098 wrote:

Last edited by skidder on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
Some good pictures in that link.

Would be good if alternator was able to be mounted somewhere aside from in front ofr the manifold as far as keeping manifold height down. I'm guessing there isn't much room anywhere on an 8/10 though.

Shame the v10 wasn't one of our 5.4's with 2 extra cylinders, would be able to get 2 boss manifolds and make one to suit. I'm guessing port shape and size is quite different between boss and SOHC heads and even our 3V heads (not that our 3V intake would really help with height) :(

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:14 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I think a 4V intake could be adapted to a 3V because the port shape is not completely different like a 2V. Otherwise a couple of these C&L 3V intakes could be chopped up.
It's pretty easy to mount an alternator externally on these engines like they do on the supercharged modulars.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Interesting food for thought.

Good thing I booked a holiday 2 weeks ago, could have been premature purchases. :lol:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:34 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

btw the 6.8 is a 5.4 with two more cyls it's just that it didn't come with 4V heads. Although they did do a set for that 4.6 based 5.8 V10 they did several years ago.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

food for thought, why be limited to the height of a stock bonnet. if clearance was an serious issue wouldn't it be easier to get a new better suiting bonnet shaped out of fiberglass or something? or just have the intake coming out of the bonnet to a shaker :twisted:
this would be one hell of a build!!! certainly unique

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I think you'd need a bonnet bulge even with a lower version of the intake. Which is why a BA is a good candidate. Yes I suppose you could make a bonnet bulge but personally I'd like it not to be obvious that something is going on under there. If I put one in my Pursuit, you wouldn't outwardly know anything had changed except maybe the constant stopping to change the rear tyres :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

This bloke has cut and shut a Lightning intake for a 2V V10 and made his own rocker covers too.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/membe ... -img-album

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I would be happy to use a BA bulge on my car, no way in hell would be putting a cowl though.

The intake is interesting - I had read another forum that talked about something similar which is where I got the idea about using our boss manifold. The other option would be a manifold which has the intake at the front of the engine (same position as LSx intake) which is probably the most viable if I had to make it myself.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next