V10 test fit in ED 

Page 6 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: V10 test fit in ED
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:22 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Yeah I'd probably chop up two 3V 5.4 Falcon intakes, close off the stock T-body location, use a side mount alternator and machine the front of the plenum and extend up to the front of the block for a front mount t-body. If you had a bit of dough to burn you could buy two of the C&L jobs but, they would of course need to be chopped in half and widening aswell.
Modulars also lend themselves to starting from scratch for example here's a sheet metal job from MMR...

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Yeah I'd probably chop up two 3V 5.4 Falcon intakes, close off the stock T-body location, use a side mount alternator and machine the front of the plenum and extend up to the front of the block for a front mount t-body. If you had a bit of dough to burn you could buy two of the C&L jobs but, they would of course need to be chopped in half and widening aswell.
Modulars also lend themselves to starting from scratch for example here's a sheet metal job from MMR...

Now thats sexy

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Can anyone confirm for Qld what the maximum engine displacement per weight is for Qld?

I have an old old pdf stating 0.333kg x Weight of car = max cubic inch displacement. I had a quick look through the newer modification manuals but couldn't see anything similar. I was hungover yesterday when I looked though so may have missed it... :roll:

By the way, before I got bored and gave up :wink:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Massive snag, just realised that to get the thing registered would need to use stock manifolds to avoid having to do an emissions test (assuming it meets our emissions standards in stock form/tune).

Currently trying to find what emissions standard the 3v v10's meet.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:59 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Don't see why you you would need stock manifolds for an emissions test but it's probably a good way to start anyway...then after it's rego'd you'd do whatever you like :mrgreen:
The U.S. emissions standards are tougher than ours so as long as it meets the AU standard you'll be fine.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

In Queensland if you have evidence the engine meets emissions standards or greater for the car it is going into you don't need an emissions test for it to be approved. However you need to use the engine in stock trim (standard manifolds/ecu) so it doesn't affect emissions.

But yes, after it is signed off on wouldn't be retaining the big a** manifold (or horrific cowl that is probably going to be required to cover it).

Did some adding of sums today. To do it right definately not a cheap exercise, but then I suppose what ever is :lol:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:06 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Oh, your talking about the intake....you said manifolds so I thought you meant the exhaust manifolds. Afterall it only has one intake manifold. But yes, either way you'd leave it stock as to start with. I suspect you'd be suitably impressed with it anyway...especially if your car has tall diff gears.

If you're talking about mods I think I'd go this way...
Manley rods and Forged Pistons for around 10-10.5:1 compression
Crank is already forged so no worries there.
Comp and Crane do cams for them now.
Innovators west or ATI balancer.
Get the 3V heads ported by Foxlake or Livernois motorsports.
Full length headers.
Make your own intake with a big a*** Oval blade t-body at the front although I probably wouldn't make the runners too short.
Select the best PCM, support wise, for tuning and this would be an EECV on Pre-BA vehcles which means no PITA drive by wire.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha yep yep. Not sure on whether exhaust manifold would need to be stock or not, something that I would need to take up with person signing off.

If I was doing it not sure whether my budget would stretch as far :lol: My guestimate today put the conversion at easily $10k if everything went smoothly and with a big guess as to engine/trans freight cost.

This also took into account that I would probably need 4pot Brembos as minimum and upgraded rears to satisfy my mechanic. Somehow I think heavier springs (maybe custom wound) for the front would be a requirement for AU as modular v10 will be considerably heavier than wheezer.

Still would have to sort out mounting for alternator/belts/bonnet and didn't include tuning costs as still not 100% on how I would go about it. What EECV did you plan on using and do you mean running one just for the engine or using the one for the whole car including engine (but not tranny)? Originally I had planned on using whatever one came with the engine and its harness and ripping hairs out dummying loads for a few days, but I didn't even think about whether would need electric throttle.

Oh, and an AU2 donor car that I could mock it all up in and get running before pulling mine off the road and then steal the front end off for AU2+ brakes :wink:

EVL098 wrote:

Last edited by skidder on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Gotta love depreciation!

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I'd just run a V10 EECV to control the engine and use a T56 behind it.
Then just put the 2V sticker on the rocker cover and say "see it matches" :mrgreen:
If i were to use an auto it would be a 4R70/75w with the Optishift.
I'd probably get one from Dirtydog transmissions like I'm going to for the Rangie conversion.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

All of a sudden today remembered I had a Street Machine mag from years ago with a custom 1950 Mercury & V10 to boot! With my luck I found every Street Machine mag I have ever bought except for the one I was looking for!

An internet search turned this up.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6116338

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Nick, I'm pretty sure I have that issue laying around somewhere if you want it.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

skidder wrote:
All of a sudden today remembered I had a Street Machine mag from years ago with a custom 1950 Mercury & V10 to boot! With my luck I found every Street Machine mag I have ever bought except for the one I was looking for!

An internet search turned this up.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6116338

I know about that car 1st hand....it's bog city and my mate Tony did all the custom machine work on it. It was a 2V and sounded bloody awful.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks Brett, I don't think there'll be anything technically riveting in there though knowing SM :lol:

Pete, I don't doubt it. The few "show cars" I have seen have generally left me a little shocked as to what can make a podium. In saying that have also seen some amazing ones so goes both ways I guess.

I love FoMoCo; North American Ford don't wanna answer my question about emissions standards on a 3v because I am not a resident there and FoMoCo Aus don't becasue they don't use the engine (understandably). Looks like I am now a resident of the US...fkrs.

**edit: found a mob who ship engines from CA to Freemantle for $250 (plus duty/GST, although I thought US-Aus didn't require duty?).

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:14 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Who's that shipping mob? I've been getting quotes on shipping a trans from Ohio to Perth and the cheapest so far is $500 and that's not to my door!? Oh and wankers like fedex want $2250 or, get this; $2050 economy!?!?!??! and that's sea freight.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next