Fordmods Logo

V8 5 litre 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

i was thinking of going carby on my ef aswell because ive had a 5.0 eb 5.0 ef and the au 1 xr8 only the xr8 went ALLMOST as hard as the old 302 windsor i had in a xy when i was a kid and it only had a 600 holley on it as for fuel economy in the last 12 months my ef fuel pump has s**t,now all the injectors are rooted it runs on 6cyls on petrol,im adding up what this s**t costing me and that would have bought a fair bit of fuel!but being honest if i changed manifolds i would probally just go for a gas reasearch twin throttle body set up,as ive had this in the past and it works awsome and looks even better lol,probally sound like a efi nazi or something ive just got the s**t with my ef because its a tub of s**t lol

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

prydey wrote:
muzzlecar wrote:
" 'What do you think are the two biggest old wives' tales regarding electronic fuel injection?'

'That EFI is a bolt-on performance improvement and that you get better economy - this can be true, depending on how messed up your carburettor is. While not impossible, it's rare for EFI to touch the power of a good carburetted set-up. Efficient cylinder head design, higher ring lands and lowering of RPM via overdrive transmissions have done more for fuel economy than EFI. I've seen guys... get incredible fuel economy - in the 25mpg region at freeway speeds. I doubt you'd do any better with EFI.' "

- Barry Grant, Street Machine, May 2007.

you don't seriously believe that do you. efi can definately get you better economy. the control of the fuel system by the ecu with all the different mapping and closed loop functions will easily see 25mpg on the freeway. 28mpg is about 10L/100km in the modern speak and that is achievable even in the new boss engined cars on the highway.

EFI will give you better ecomony than most carby setups. However I believe it is possible to get a carby to get close to an efi's fuel consumption, and make more power.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

It's easy to get a carby to make more power than an EFI set up. Street manners are another story, but if you're setting up a track car that spends most of it's time in the one rpm range there's nothing wrong with a carby. Also a hell of a lot cheaper.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2