WA, Australia

Can you run an ED 5 litre on carby?

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Legally ??? NO !!!
In an early car yes... BUT "should" run all polution gear...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED V8 5LTR

WA, Australia

wat exactly do i have to do

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

get an early windsor manifold (carby type) and bolt on, plumb up the fuel, I would guess you would disconnect all sensors so your ecu only runs dizzy and auto.

Im curious, why?

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED V8 5LTR

WA, Australia

any computer mods i have to do

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

Why do you want to make your car slower and less fuel efficient, decrease your engine life etc etc etc ?

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

" 'What do you think are the two biggest old wives' tales regarding electronic fuel injection?'

'That EFI is a bolt-on performance improvement and that you get better economy - this can be true, depending on how messed up your carburettor is. While not impossible, it's rare for EFI to touch the power of a good carburetted set-up. Efficient cylinder head design, higher ring lands and lowering of RPM via overdrive transmissions have done more for fuel economy than EFI. I've seen guys... get incredible fuel economy - in the 25mpg region at freeway speeds. I doubt you'd do any better with EFI.' "

- Barry Grant, Street Machine, May 2007.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

muzzlecar wrote:
" 'What do you think are the two biggest old wives' tales regarding electronic fuel injection?'

'That EFI is a bolt-on performance improvement and that you get better economy - this can be true, depending on how messed up your carburettor is. While not impossible, it's rare for EFI to touch the power of a good carburetted set-up. Efficient cylinder head design, higher ring lands and lowering of RPM via overdrive transmissions have done more for fuel economy than EFI. I've seen guys... get incredible fuel economy - in the 25mpg region at freeway speeds. I doubt you'd do any better with EFI.' "

you don't seriously believe that do you. efi can definately get you better economy. the control of the fuel system by the ecu with all the different mapping and closed loop functions will easily see 25mpg on the freeway. 28mpg is about 10L/100km in the modern speak and that is achievable even in the new boss engined cars on the highway.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

QLD, Australia

mickoxhxr8 wrote:
Im curious, why?

i second that, why?

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:21 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

You're spot on Prydey. Sorry, I should've checked those figures before regurgitating them.

So ED94V8, why the interest in carbing' the 5.0L? What's it going into?

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
muzzlecar wrote:

you don't seriously believe that do you. efi can definately get you better economy. the control of the fuel system by the ecu with all the different mapping and closed loop functions will easily see 25mpg on the freeway. 28mpg is about 10L/100km in the modern speak and that is achievable even in the new boss engined cars on the highway.
YOU GOT THAT IN THE 70S---308 CARBIE-4SPEED-NO OVERDRIVE

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

in the 70's you couldn't do a mid 13 1/4 and still get reasonable economy round town and still around 10l/100km on highway

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

muzzlecar wrote:

You have to be confident in the product your selling.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I remember reading some article where a yank magazine was testing heads on a 5.0 and for ease of assembly over that testing regime, they used an old school carby with dual plane manifold with the engine's ignition run by EEC.

They got good power, more so than a smilar spec 5.0 with injection. I cant remember the source, perhaps FordMuscle???

When you look at it, you could spend very little on a old school manifold and carby compared to a fair dinkum EFI setup for this engine. It's not like the ED V8 has the best intake system and for a few bucks, you could ditch the HO stuff and try something else.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i was thining of going down the lines of a mid high rise single-plain manifold and have 4 barrel mixer for the gas . and just turf out the EFI and stick with straight gas .

Mind you i think thats what ED94V8 might be thinking of ?

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next