Fordmods Logo

V8 Advice 260, 290 or 302? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: V8 Advice 260, 290 or 302?
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

Gday,

Im looking to upgrade to a V8 in a couple of months when i get off my Ps, and im after some advice on the different models/motors available so i can do my research look at a few cars and know what im after when the time comes to buy it.

Im looking at BAII XR8 or GT and onwards because of the 6 speed manual. Options available are Boss 260, 290 and 302. Of course there is a jump of about 5 grand between the 260 and the rest

So is it worth saving a bit more and waiting a bit longer to get the better engine (age of car aside)? I will be modding it mildly down the track so which is the better platform to work off and why? Are there faults in any particular models?

Cheers!

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Post subject: Re: V8 Advice 260, 290 or 302?
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

dont get ba xr8. engine problems and engine replacement needed fairly often.
get bf gt or somthin alike.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba xr8 supercharged

WA, Australia

all 3 motors are similar in construction and would likley share the same faults
if you are going to go the n/a route i'd say the 290/302 but for forced induction i'd go with a 260

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

There was a problem with plastic timing chain tensioners breaking on the BAs. They were replaced later with metal items.

You will have to do some more research to find out when the changeover was. The BF overall is a nicer car in any case over the BA, lots of little things fixed.

With the Boss, I'd go as late as you can anyway.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:

I was leaning towards those, looks like a better car all round just gotta fork out more. What sort of engine problems and at what sort of kms do they arise? My dads ba xr8 had timing chain rattle on start up sometimes i remember but he sold it before it got too old about 80,000 kms. Did all boss motors suffer that and is it an easy fix?

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ive heard of quite a few needing the engine replaced aound the 150k mark.

as for the chain rattle the 3v copped it fairly bad but there is a fairly ezy solution. i used to get it every now and then on really coldmornings. since ive been rinnung the motocraft fl820s oil filter it gone. sounds stupid but believe me try it.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

o yea and you would want toi spend the extra few grand to get the zf box. far better than the old clunker btr.

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
o yea and you would want toi spend the extra few grand to get the zf box. far better than the old clunker btr.

Oh s**t yeh if I was gettin an auto I'd get the ZF. I'd prefer manual trans with a performance car. May be slightly slower but if I wanted all out speed and performance I'd be going auto F6. Im pretty set on the BF GT, I had a look at one the other day and sitting in it is SUCH an upgrade from my ef.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:41 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

bennomate wrote:
Benny D wrote:

Oh s**t yeh if I was gettin an auto I'd get the ZF. I'd prefer manual trans with a performance car. May be slightly slower but if I wanted all out speed and performance I'd be going auto F6. Im pretty set on the BF GT, I had a look at one the other day and sitting in it is SUCH an upgrade from my ef.

I upgraded from a EL. Yeah it's a HUGE improvement.

IMHO there's no reason to buy a 260.

For mods, if you want n/a get a 302 if you can afford it, the higher CR will help over the 290, but the 290 isn't a bad starting point.

If you're going for boost, the 290 is the pick of the bunch if you're not going to build a bottom end. Responds best psi for psi. I'd recommend building a bottom end if you want to get some boost though.

260's sadly are not put together as well, and the low CR means things like cams and intake mods are often wasted $.

Car wise (rather than just the motor), sway bars, and diff ratio change should be on your list of mods. The heavy BOSS up front, isn't the best for handling it was the biggest change I noticed from my EL, sway bars, and a slightly different driving style (right foot steering) negates that though.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:29 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I upgraded from a EL. Yeah it's a HUGE improvement.

IMHO there's no reason to buy a 260.

For mods, if you want n/a get a 302 if you can afford it, the higher CR will help over the 290, but the 290 isn't a bad starting point.

If you're going for boost, the 290 is the pick of the bunch if you're not going to build a bottom end. Responds best psi for psi. I'd recommend building a bottom end if you want to get some boost though.

260's sadly are not put together as well, and the low CR means things like cams and intake mods are often wasted $.

Car wise (rather than just the motor), sway bars, and diff ratio change should be on your list of mods. The heavy BOSS up front, isn't the best for handling it was the biggest change I noticed from my EL, sway bars, and a slightly different driving style (right foot steering) negates that though.[/quote]

Ahh right foot steering is my favourite kind!

Seems the 302s are a touch rare for my price range. I most likely wont be going boosted, yet. From 164KW a jump to 290KW will be fine for now i think :D Even though i learned on dads old BA xr8 and ive driven his FG XR8 a few times id really prefer to learn how to drive and adjust to the different dynamics and more power properly before i go nuts on the power.

I do find the drive by wire strange though. Almost feels like the pedal isnt really connected.

Sway bars sounds like a good priority then, exhuast for sound purposes too. Theres alot of late model SS's and clubbies with rattly raspy exhuasts, most fords ive seen around have a much better note to them for some reason. Apart from this supercherged R8 around here that sounds like sex when its idling. Lumpy as hell and you can hear it whining. makes me want a 335.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:33 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

bennomate wrote:
I do find the drive by wire strange though. Almost feels like the pedal isnt really connected.

Sway bars sounds like a good priority then, exhuast for sound purposes too. Theres alot of late model SS's and clubbies with rattly raspy exhuasts, most fords ive seen around have a much better note to them for some reason. Apart from this supercherged R8 around here that sounds like sex when its idling. Lumpy as hell and you can hear it whining. makes me want a 335.

The DBW is better in FPV's than XR's. Nothing really wrong with it, just Ford gave them a fairly tame mapping, FPV improved it, but still not as direct as a cable - but a tune can fix that.

The Chevy 8's sound pretty crappy until they get cammed. It's down to the firing order, Ford V8's have a naturally lumpier firing order than the chevs.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:

Second BA XR8 now and no problem whatsoever, on either. Yes the first timing chain tensioner (BA1) wasnt all that, but an easy fix and a great car all the same. I drive mine for work constantly on building sites so i couldnt bring myself to do it to an FPV but great cars none the less. If you have the cash, the later the better of course, but dont knock the XR8's, awesome bang for buck, and as good as they are treated.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]