V8 into a current 6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: V8 into a current 6
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1984 XE SEDAN

VIC, Australia

Discussion Starter · #1 · 13 h ago

G'day all, I am brand new here but I need to pick some experienced brains for a 6 cylinder to V8 conversion. I have a fully registered 1984 XE sedan in great condition but it is an automatic 4.1, I want to convert it to a V8. I have been told that the XE had a V8 option so the conversion is allowable but the converted car must have a RWC and a change at Vic Roads to be compliant. I have obtained a complete 1984 LTD, 351 auto, and I am told that it should fit my XE. Firstly is this correct ? I have everything to change from 6 cylinder to V8 in the LTD. Secondly, I have drum brakes on the rear and coil suspension and the standard XE diff. The LTD has disc brakes, and leaf springs but the diff is not a 9inch. Some questions, Does the LTD have a LSD as standard ? If I take the complete diff housing and brakes off the LTD will it fit under the XE, remembering the XE has rear coils what modifications if any would I need to do to the housing or would putting leaf hangers on be a better option. Would the diff centres be interchangeable and I just change the drum to disc's ? I know that I have to adjust the length of the tailshaft as the LTD was a longer car. Any info on the above and any further tips for the project would be appreciated
Regards to all
Sacko7

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]