Fordmods Logo

What power should a standard EL series V8 be producing? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: What power should a standard EL series V8 be producing?
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

FG270KW wrote:
main three, manifold, throttle body and headers. All were restricted for fuel economy.

Dont forget the heads are absolutely horrible.

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

In my experience a dyno is best used as a comparitive device rather than an absolute device. Unless they are regularly calibrated, meticulously serviced and the operator knows exactly what they are doing, the numbers they produce can very wildly from reality. An old trick was to have an "optimistic" dyno, then clients would brag about how much power company xxx got out of their engine, so more people went there than the the more accurate dyno down the road....

But an engine that makes 150 before modifications, and 200 afterwards, gained 30%. This is where a typical shop dyno can be useful.

Some of the best rear wheel estimates can be made from dragstrip times, vehicle weight and trap speed.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
Burns wrote:
Ive owned a fair few e-series now, many windsors. Yes in stock form complete with E7 heads and HO s**t manifold they arnt the fastest. Yet the power they do have is pretty flexible and I prefer it over a faster 6

I'd also like to mention that EB GT, ED Sprint, EL GT, EL 185 XR8 and the AU models move quite nicely with their upgradeds. And getting decent headers helps the windsor ten fold. Stock headers suck

EL GT headers, which also came out on the series 2 EL XR8 are quite a good stock item. The earlier crushed headers are rubbish.

your quite right scaffy, EL GT headers perform quite well, well enough for me to have them on my ED XR8 Sprint :)

FG270KW wrote:
main three, manifold, throttle body and headers. All were restricted for fuel economy.

Yes manifold, and headers are quite restivtive. Throttlebody upgrades wouldn't really be of much gain until other work is done (full exhaust, heads, cam, tune etc) I would piss the E7 heads off staright away, they are very restrictive. Replace them with GT40 or GT40P's (which to be honest still arn't that great) or you can get a set of AFR's or Trickflows or any of the top end aftermarket models. Depends on what you want to spend

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2