Fordmods Logo

Windsor into an EA 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Windsor into an EA
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

Hey all...I have an EA Fairmont Ghia 5 Speed and i was gunna turbo the car but now im thinkin of dropping a 5ltr windsor motor of an eb or ed...I was wondering if its hard to do and does the front end need much work for the conversion???

Also...do i have to get an engineers cert for the conversion? and is there anything else i should know (but dont right now) about the conversion b4 i go ahead in doing in?

Thanks heaps

JETEA

JETEA - ROARN8 - AUII Fairmont Ghia, V8, leather, sunroof, SAT NAV etc. 175KW

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

Technically you'll need an engineers cerificate because the car never came with an 8 from the factory, however, the chances of a cop telling the difference between an ea and an eb is damn slim.
you'll probably need to change to shocks/springs as they're not designed for the extra weight, your 5 speed gearbox won't match up and there's probably a lot more that people on here that know more than me can help with :p.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB Fairmont

SA, Australia

Engine K frame.

Plus everything that YTMONT said.

Doin it for Scotty.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

As above & the steering rack from the new K Frame plus the power steering hoses. The exhaust would need to be changed. The input shaft on your gearbox can be lengthened, but you will still need to find a bellhousing. Don't forget the ECU & harness (or straight LPG & an old school but recurved distributor). Yeah it is a bolt in job, but an engineer will need to sign it off to pass rego & insurance regs (not forgetting the need to comply with emission ADR's of the year your EA was built).

As for optional changes, shocks are the same, only difference is the height you want (ie if going superlow ensure the shocks won't bottom out). Springs are different though, but only in terms of the weight they are meant to carry (just get a front pair for an EB-EL V8 at the height you want). Calipers are the same but the brake bias in the booster is a little different. Nothing major though, it was mainly to suit the better front pads the V8's got. Front sway bar is 26mm on EB & only 25mm on the EA but I'd recommend a 27mm or a 30mm one anyway. A new/thicker radiator would be a good idea. The diff you have is probably a 25 spline whereas a 28 spline with a ratio to suit the cam you choose & type of driving you do would be a very good investment. If you want a factory tacho that will need to be changed too. Really, you need whole a 5.0L wreck to take all the parts needed to do the job completely.

With the price of EB & ED V8's these days it is hard to justify converting an EA (or any E series 6) to a factory spec V8, but if you are going to spend serious $ on modding a V8 E-series anyway (& I mean the whole car, ie. brakes, suspension etc), then why not I guess.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

sam12h wrote:
With the price of EB & ED V8's these days it is hard to justify converting an EA (or any E series 6) to a factory spec V8, but if you are going to spend serious $ on modding a V8 E-series anyway (& I mean the whole car, ie. brakes, suspension etc), then why not I guess.

Agreed. The V8s are just too cheap to bother with converting the 6s these days.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]