Fordmods Logo

Windsor misfiring: suggestions? 

Page 4 of 7 [ 92 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Windsor misfiring: suggestions?
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Have you self tested the NEW EEC again after all these changes?
How is the 2nd hand dizzy crap...was it no good or no different?

Smartlock tells the EEC when it's ok to start if not it tells the EEC not to fire the injectors.
Smartlock is a separate module and it could be an intermittant fault with that. There is a self test procedure for that too.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Have you self tested the NEW EEC again after all these changes?
How is the 2nd hand dizzy crap...was it no good or no different?

Smartlock tells the EEC when it's ok to start if not it tells the EEC not to fire the injectors.
Smartlock is a separate module and it could be an intermittant fault with that. There is a self test procedure for that too.

Well, the car is now running. The replacement ECU was faulty! The guys spent 4 or 5 hours testing each pin connector on the big ECU plug and finally got another one in and it fired up again.

The car now starts and idles on it's own, so it's been the dodgy ChipTorque all along. They still haven't responded to two emails, so much for customer service and product quality. Back on the standard tune, the car has definitely lost it's sparkle and seems to be running a bit rich. I suppose the ECU will learn over time, but I also heard it ping a little at full throttle. It also burbles a bit like it's running out of fuel after a minute or so along the road, but suddenly clears with a throttle stab. I had this problem before, the little connector between fuel pump and inlet pipe not sealing. It is also idling too high (1000rpm) and stalls up in Drive a bit at the lights. I'll take it for a big run soon and see if it calms down.

Not sure on the dizzy, but the guys put the original one back in with the same TFI and no worries.

Cheers, Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Good to see you've got it all sorted. What are the chances of putting in another f**k eec?

Maybe have a chat to the boys at TI Performance about getting a custom chip burnt and sent out to you to liven her up a little bit. At least that way, If you ever think you're having problems with it, you can just pull it out.

Have you checked the hegos? Maybe they're cactus, causing it to run rich. They should come up in the self test though, if they are.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah, pretty amazing on the ECU, huh? :shock: I should have left the other fuel pump in, but I was eliminating problems one by one. I think it's a fuel pressure issue again as the HEGOs are less than a year old. The idle is a bit too high and fluctuating in drive when stopped, so when I can be bothered I'll reset everything and swap the pump back.

I haven't actually done a self test yet. I'll have to learn how to do it. It will be interesting to see what codes are thrown up this time round.

Mike

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Have you reset your base idle?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hi guys, yes, base idle has been reset. Damn car is still running in all sorts of different moods. :? Haven't had time to take it back to auto elec yet, but they have been notified!

It still feels like it's running out of fuel about 1km up the road after EVERY start, hot or cold. It's weird, it idles very erratically at the lights when in this 'mode', but suddenly decides to clear very abruptly and is good for the rest of the journey. WTF? I haven't swapped my other fuel pump back in yet, but the car's bad behaviour is so precise, it wouldn't likely be the pump would it?

My old ECU has been sent back to ChipTorque for diagnosis, haven't heard back yet. My mechanic shop (Road & Track) were mentioning something about MAFless tunes on the Windsor in development, mainly because they are so unreliable and expensive to replace. Have you guys heard anything about this?

Just about ready to buy a BA XR8!

Mike

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Interesting development: ChipTorque have repaierd and sent back my failed ECU. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it back in the car and see how it goes. Problem: I'm out nearly $700 for this new standard ECU and the car still runs like crap, but it does run...

Not sure if I can get any money back on the replacement ECU, but I'm really not happy with it at all over the last few weeks. Car still feels like it's running out of fuel about 1km down the road, hot or cold start, then clears. Sometime it still splutters and wants to stall at the lights. Yes, I've adjusted TPS (couldn't quite get it up to 0.98V but close) and idle speed.

Hopefully some good news tomorrow. It's probably the damn MAF... :evil:

Mike

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well, it wasn't good news this morning. The ECU sent back from ChipTorque wouldn't run the car properly. Hard to start again and seemed to be running massive advance when cranking. It didn't seem to run the fuel pump at KOEO either. ECU's going back up to Qld. again to see what codes it grabbed. :?

Ran the car on the SnapOn tester and it couldn't grab codes with engine running? Something in the car won't let it communicate with the test unit. We noticed some cut and shuts in the wiring loom right at the ECU which was odd. I've never touched all that since I've had the car for 10 years. Does that sort of thing happen at the factory?

Mike

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Don't mean to be a bastard but at some stage, I reckon you'll turf that Chiptorque chip and pay the money for a solid aftermarket ECU and tune and be happy.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 1998 Au 5L Forte

WA, Australia

i had the same problem with my car mate and i just changed the injectors and it was fixed, hope this helps

FORD Loved by some Respected by all

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:16 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I can't believe you're still f**k around with craptorque stuff!?!

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

brain wrote:
i had the same problem with my car mate and i just changed the injectors and it was fixed, hope this helps

Yeah, the injectors (378,000km :shock: ) are probably all that is left for me to change! I'm suspecting either those or a manifold leak somewhere. The car runs in about four different modes, normal, lean, high idle or really lumpy and stally. I can't work out what makes it want to run lean (feeling like it's running out of fuel, no power) about one minute after every start. It's a different car every day. It's always been a bit like that- I have no idea why.

Pete, it's running a standard ECU at the moment and running like crap, but it is running. I'm only staying with the Chiptorque ECU as they are repairing it and I don't want to pay any more $$$. :) For some reason, we can't read any fault codes when the car is running???

Aftermarket ECU? Would be nice, but illegal also. I'd say good bye to my insurance in an accident. Besides, I've spent $1000 trying to get this sorted, so I want these guys to fix it before I spend any more money!

Mike

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Ah I see. So you can't do a KOER test with stock unmodified EEC or the craptorque one?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I'm not 100% sure as the guy was swapping ECUs around a bit, but I don't think the car was letting the tester grab any codes KOER at all? The CT ECU went back up to Qld. again so that whatever codes it had grabbed could be read by them. If that makes any sense!

The cut and shut wiring right at the ECU loom plug has me worried. I've had the car 10 years and never touched that loom.

Mike

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:47 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Well you need to know which one because it's critical to the diagnosis!
The Fault codes will be erased when the EEC is removed from KAPWR so no-one will be able to read anything.
CUt and shut wiring!?! well that's the biggest revelation so far! Are you saying that you've never noticed it till now?
I'd be buzzing out the whole harness with a multimeter in that case.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next