Fordmods Logo

Windsor or Clevo? The debate rages on. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Windsor or Clevo? The debate rages on.
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Your probably thinking oh not again but what I want to know is which one would make a better burnout engine. Most people I've spoken to have suggested the windsor cause it has coolant passages through the inlet manifold which results in a slightly cooler motor, or is that just bullcrap and the clevo reins supreme? From the big hitters I've noticed that there are slightly more ford burnout cars with windsor power rather than clevo. Also gotta love the sound of a windsor pushing in excess of 7000rpm. They really scream.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

just remember, there's a s**t more aftermarket gear for windsors than there is for clevelands, which goes a long way to explaining thier popularity

Banned

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Cleveland. hands down... they sound alot better then the W.

1995 EF Falcon GLi V8
Extractors, Twin 2.5inch Exhaust, Lowered Suspension, 17" CSA Mags, Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger, K&N Air Filter, Stage 2 shift kit, 293rwhp@5,900rpm on 9psi.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

A 460 Ford efi !!!!!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

3.9 six! screw the 8s, theyre overrated boat anchors!

I wish :oops:

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

They don't make sohc 3.9's anymore either !!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
They don't make sohc 3.9's anymore either !!!

Lucky me! i have one still!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quit the f**k whoring lads. I want to know what would make the better burnout engine. Windsor or Clevo? I've heard myres windsor on full song and that thing sounds insane at 8000rpm (although a little too high pitched). I've also heard the light green clevo powered XE at both the summernats and supernats and it sounds mega tough pulling 7800 or so rpm but the exhaust he's got on it really doesn't do that car much justice at all. Its way too quiet for a top class burnout car.

I'm not just hinting at the sound. I want to know about reliability at 6750+rpm and which would be the cheaper engine to get to hold together at those rpm.

As for big blocks, unless you have one that sounds like the world is about to end whenever you crack the throttle I'm not interested. Just their low revving nature doesn't make for much of a burnout spectacle.

And 6 cyls. My XF in its current trim can more than hold its own but I want more. More smoke, more noise and more of everything. That's why I want an 8.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Ive got a clevo and run it with the pipes off, I reckon its pretty bloody loud and Ive never really given it a belting to see how it moves up top, but from my very limited experiace with both types, clevo all the way.

Ive never really found it hard to come across after market parts for the clevo, only hard part it finding some fool that doesnt know what its worth so I can pick up a bargin, most people seem to know what s**t worth these days.. grrrr.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

this post is #351 for me!!
personally i reckon the clevo's are cheaper for 'go-fast' bits, i suppose it comes down to what you prefer, just remember a clevo can only be stroked to 378ci, and a windsor can be stroked to 427? i think.
but as my signature says, GO THE MIGHTY CLEVO!

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD wagon V8, Suzuki SV650S

ACT, Australia

hate to corret you, but you can get clev stroker kits now that go to 402ci, and i have hured but don't know if true, even bigger. i run a clevo in mine, and it smokes its tits off, and screams like no other! :twisted: thats why i lost 3demerit points and $385 for putting on a smoke show! but it was worth showing them crappy holen 5lts how its down :twisted: 3rd grea line locker brother! go the clevo!!!

Why lord why? Why does every d**k head in a datsun wanna race me??? don't they know i don't like hurting there feelings??

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

At Eastern Creek's last burnout there was a nice 460 XD [I think] It sounded bloody nice..But really it doesn't come down to MOTOR it would be the way exhaust etc is done, if you are only going by sound..
The good ones are well modded so block doesn't matter!!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Clevos are cheaper & easier to get power out of, much stronger & sound tougher but yes they do run hotter but they can be made to run cool & will take the heat. There is a rare version of the clevo refered to as the pillow block which is supposed to run cooler too.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Finally some of the big boys have spoken.

What I have my heart set on (Its only a pipe dream by the way) would be a 302 windsor stroked to 347 topped with some CHI 3V large port heads and 6/71 blower and EFI. I've heard that blowers are a big pain in the a*** on clevo's as the stresses on the crank are enough to make the bottom end bearings s**t themselves. I's this true or just a pimply faced kids myth?

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

i've had a 302 wins and a 302 clevo, the clevo seemed to spin the tyres and do burnouts hell of alot better...., the clevo was good up till about 70 only tho then it died, but put the wins next to the clevo in a drag the winsor would win, but IMHO i think the clevo's are cheaper, and get them going better for burnouts...., i'd stay with a 302 clevo setup as they rev more and thats what you want in burnouts (but thats IMO again), plus for the price you could buy one you can't go wrong..., plus the sound of the clevo's can't be beaten :wink:

but again if you wanted a drag car i would rather a stroked out wins engine.
You can still get a wins engine to do burnouts very good, just the same as clevo's but it'll cost more to do up a Fuel injected wins then a carby clevo, for the same result in the end....

(But im not a man for burnouts to be honest, im more of a drag man, there's most likly alot more people here that can tell you about burnout engine then me, but all this is IMO so don't quote me on this).

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next