Fordmods Logo

WTF MATE! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: WTF MATE!
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

WA, Australia

i was just doing some breather piping on the clevo,, it used to have the hose from the right roker, goin into the back of the carby (spacer) and another standard breather, im running the lines together and into an oil catch can with filter.

so i took that hose off an started it up, a thin grey smoke is coming out of teh breather hole, if i block them both off, the pressure builds up a fair bit, when i release it, its like a blow off valve,,, obviously not as harsh, but whats going on, i was under the impression that that it was just a vent, i didnt realise how much pressure the rockers were under,,, i think disconnecting the hose from the intake was a good idea, as it would be feeding the engine old air..

so yeah, is it normal, cause ive had the car for almost 2 years, and never noticed it before.

i miss you scotty, u goddamn goose!

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

It is caused by gasses escaping past the rings and compressing the sump, valley and rocker covers, called blow-by. All engines have some blow-by, the older the engine the more it has. They feed it back to the carby/intake to reduce emissions, lots of people replace the pipe with just a breather cap which just vents to atmosphere.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

Your motor is starting to breathe. The combustion gasses are getting past the piston rings and into the crankcase. Thats why motors have crankcase ventilation, if they were sealed, the crankcase would pressurize and blow gaskets etc.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

yeah but i mean, it has increased noticibly very recently,, but maby thats only because i removed teh hose to teh intake, so its not feeding the Clevo s**t air, lol, its not like its gonna affect my polution,, much, haha

i have 4 grand worth of bottom end rebuild sceduled for mid this year, hopefully with a bigger 393 crank, acid dipping, torque honing, acl Race kit, and all the goodies,,,,, just hope i can make it till then,, lol

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

it should be fine, my old charade turbo had the same symptoms on a much worse note! i made an oil catch can out of a 600 ml bottle, and the blow by on my charade was that bad that it would fill up in half a day of driving, thats how rooted my rings were lol, if its not too oily or smoky you shouldnt have any major problems

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

yeah, im keen to work oin the v8 tolday, but nothing is open damnnit,,,, i think just removing the hode from the intake and blocking it was a damn good idea, polution smolution, id rather my engine didnt breathe crank fumes.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

yeah if its not too bad just run the hose down the side of the engine so the fumes go into the atmosphere, and block the manifold off so it doesnt have a vacuum leak, or you could go to autobarn or something and buy a $20 air breather that replaces the pcv valve, and they look cool too! (looks like a minature air filter) a lot of people opt for the filter option.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

hehe, i just came in from doing just that, comes out of teh two rockers, into a t peice, then into a pcv valve,and thru some more hose than runs parralell to my fuel lines, and dumps just before the diff, next to the dumpers..
works great, feels a bit smoother at low rpm, and rev's more freely..

nice mod, for about $10 worth of stuff.

not to shabby, was surpised at the diff it made, ill do a gtech run tonight and post details.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]