Fordmods Logo

170 - 200 motor specs.. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:05 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XL XE XF

WA, Australia

Picked up an XT 3 speed and bell housing and fly wheel to hang of the rear of the 221 from Superoo Falcon Spares :D . Problem is that the clutch is hydraulic. Got a new slave cylinder, master cylinder, and clutch actuator arm for an XT.

Has anyone ever fitted a Hydraulic master cylinder to an XL. Had a suggesting to use the manual push rod and "bolt" the master cylinder to the top of the steering column. Apart from looking s**T the master cylinder hangs down at 45 degrees(ish). See previous engine bay photo.

Going to pull out the old gear box today and the steering column and "have a look". Will post some pictures of the results.

Cheers

Even a backfire from a Ford is a QUALITY BACKFIRE

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Changing the XL clutch from Mechanical to Hydraulic

Not a real easy job but more or less straight forward. Had to fabricate a mounting block. Did this out of 6mm plate so I could tap the mounting holes. Bit of welding and grinding. Positioned for welding by using the mounting and bolting from the inside. Welded into place and cleaned up and painted. Modified clutch pedal to incorporate a high tensile bolt out the left side of the pedal arm after removing the old pivot point from the right side of the arm. Lengthened the hydraulic cylinder actuator rod with a thread end and used a rose joint to make the connection. (also gives adjustment.) The hole under the clutch slave cylinder is for the accelerator linkage. The hole above the cyclinder is for the speedo cable - may have to blank and move over a bit... Need to make up some new hydraulic pipes for the brake and clutch and another job finished.

Photos.

Before - The mechanical clutch push rod comes out above the steering column.

Locating the mounting block ready to weld.

Finished hydraulic cylinder ready for pipe up.

Under the dash.

Attachments:
Before.jpg
Before.jpg [ 406.07 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]
Mounting Block.jpg
Mounting Block.jpg [ 429.72 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]
Engine bay2.jpg
Engine bay2.jpg [ 302.49 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]
Engine bay1.jpg
Engine bay1.jpg [ 302.09 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
Under Dash.jpg
Under Dash.jpg [ 640.84 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hi all.

Had a good weekend and got a bit more of the engine bay sorted out. Made both the engine bay wiring harnesses. Currently they are covered in heatshrink but will have a final harness tape wrap to 'look the part'. Fitted the windscreen washer bag but with the electric motor instead of the manual foot operated pump.

Overhauled the carburettor including bead blasting all the parts. Installed carburettor. Overhauled the distributor and installed with new cap, rotor and leads.

Got a pile of bits back from the powdercoater and put on the fan, fitted the battery box, etc...

Waiting on the inner lower control arm bushes and then can put the complete front suspension back together with the new shock absorbers. have already put in the new top ball joints and idler arm bush.

Need to overhaul the steering box next and get it back in so I can get it back on the ground to move it about.

Regards

Steve

Attachments:
Enginebay_4.jpg
Enginebay_4.jpg [ 130.65 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]
Enginebay_3.jpg
Enginebay_3.jpg [ 129.01 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]
Engine_4.jpg
Engine_4.jpg [ 182.6 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
Engine_3.jpg
Engine_3.jpg [ 160.33 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:58 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Very Very nice work here! Keep it up!
My XW has a 221 in it, loves to rev off its head...
Keep up the good work, cant wait to see it all together.

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Been a good weekend.

Sorted out the XT gearbox. Unmantled it and mantled it up again. look good inside. New gaskets, new front seal, new extension housing seal. lots of cleaning, etch prime and paint cast iron bit (Ford engine blue), beadblast aluminium bits, Loctite 'purple' stuff in the joints.

Replaced the inner lower control arm bushes. That is where the clunk was coming from, no rubber left in the LHS. Reinstalled springs minus 1 coil with new Munroe shock absorbers.

Fitted cross brace to the engine compartment with the engine mount brackets.

Thinking of putting a Smiths under dash Air Conditioner. Managed to find 2 under dash units, 2 compressors and 3 condensers in 'the shed'. Next is to work out how to drive the compressor. Thinking of using the old harmonic balancer, fitting in a rigid centre and using the three centre 'puller holes' of the new harmonic balancer to drive it. That would in effect make it a double pulley. The problem is that the A/C drive pully would be direct off the crankshaft, not cush driven via the harmonic balancer pulley. Anybody see any problems with that???

Cheers

Steve

Attachments:
XT_Gearbox.JPG
XT_Gearbox.JPG [ 516.63 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]
RH_Front.JPG
RH_Front.JPG [ 631.92 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
LH_Front.JPG
LH_Front.JPG [ 677.62 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]
Engine_Bay_10.JPG
Engine_Bay_10.JPG [ 315.07 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

i can't wait to see the finished product! keep up the good work!

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:11 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

isit possible to use say, an xy or xa balancer off a 250 with the 2 groove pulley ? didn't power steer xb's have an extra bolt on pulley ? you might be able to use that.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

No work this weekend -wifes birthday etc..... :(

Good idea about the use of the bolt on pully etc but now looking at the twin "V" pully on the Air Conditioner compressor. Could I run one belt between the water pump, harmonic balancer and compressor. Then run the alternator off the other "V" of the compressor. Need to make up some fancy brackets and adjusters. May have to re-locate the right hand horn from the right side of the engine bay as I will need to get the compressor as low as possible. The altenator - compressor belt will be short but all should fit in. I am putting on extractors so may need to put a heat shield between the alternator and the no. 1 cylinder exhaust - even with the ceramic coating on the extractors.

Ahhhhh next weekend with all this weekends maxed out brownie points I may get in 2 whole days....

Cheers

Steve

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:36 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

how is your car coming along ? any updates ?

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hi All.

The 1963 XL Falcon is progressing well and I have been a bit slack in following up in the forum.

Since last update.
Wiring has progressed well but as you can see from the photos there is still a bit to do. I have installed an immobilizer and central remote locking.

Have finished the body work and have painted the final correct Blue. The rear is ready for a buff and polish. The tail lights have been installed and the rear bumper re-chromed and fitted. The roof will be painted later in the original two tone white.

Removed the complete rear axle assembly. Dismantled and cleaned all components. New wheel bearings and seals as well as new pinion oil seal. The internals appeared to be OK. Took all external components of the diff and brake back plates back to bear metal and etch primed and finished in two pack black epoxy enamel. Rebuilt the brakes but reused the old rear hand brake cable after cleaning and lubing. All new suspension rubbers and a pair of Munroe shock absorbers. Put an extra leaf in the springs and lowered 50mm. Wheels were sandblasted and powdercoated white. New tyres all round 185x80x13.

Rebuilt the steering box with new internals. Replaced the inner lower control arm bushes and anti-sway bar rubbers. Reinstalled the steering column.

Rewired the dash unit, cleaned, polished and reinstalled. Cleaned and checked the radio, got it working sweetly, polished the chrome and reinstalled. STILL NEED THE 6 BUTTONS FOR THE 3 STAR RADIO IF ANYONE SHOULD HAVE THEM.

Cleaned the underside of the body and coated with noise deadening underbody spray followed by two coats of brushed on two pack matt black epoxy enamel.

Have sorted out the driving of the airconditioning compressor. Thanks to the suggestions. Still need to finish off the brackets. Will need to relocate the right hand horn to give room for the compressor. (Alternator and compressor components are only dummy for set up...) Got hold of a nice cast rocker cover. It was already sand blasted so might just give it a coat of clear finish and leave it as is.....

Gear box is now ready to mount to engine.

NEXT.

Picked up a couple of XP heater units on ebay and will build up heater-demister.

Got an XM-MP two speed windscreen wiper and switch. Now need to overhaul and fit.

Picked up another air conditioner evap unit. This is the correct Smiths 1963 aftermarket unit that was fitted to cars of that year.

Then to doors - LHF is finish and painted external. RHF rust cut out. Back door not started....

Will give another update when we are a bit further along......

Attachments:
File comment: Interior
XL_5.jpg
XL_5.jpg [ 155.24 KiB | Viewed 427 times ]
File comment: More diff and underbody
XL_4.jpg
XL_4.jpg [ 151.09 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
File comment: Diff and underbody
XL_3.jpg
XL_3.jpg [ 172.73 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]
File comment: Drivers side. Still a few wires to connect
XL_2.jpg
XL_2.jpg [ 201.01 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]
File comment: Back View
XL_1.jpg
XL_1.jpg [ 171.92 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]

Last edited by XFSteve on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Here are some additional photos.

Attachments:
File comment: Gearbox ready for install
XL_94.jpg
XL_94.jpg [ 183.68 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]
File comment: Engine driving front pully of compressor with the alternator off the back pully.
XL_92.jpg
XL_92.jpg [ 223.03 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]
File comment: Immobilizer and central locking control seen through the glove box.
XL_91.jpg
XL_91.jpg [ 160.93 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]
File comment: Engine bay, stearing box, wiring
XL_7.jpg
XL_7.jpg [ 157.92 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
File comment: All painted. Wires are for the central locking.
XL_6.jpg
XL_6.jpg [ 171.95 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

What u need now is a 2v head on that 221 , now thats a great little combo for an early bird.

Mk2 Zephyr
2011 XR6 Special edition

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Now thats a good ides :D . If any one has a donation to a good cause of a 2V head for a 221 I would be very happy. :D :D :D

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

I have a spare 2v head and manifold that have been sitting on the shelf for about 6 years, but i was thinking of using it on a project in the future the hard part is finding a 221 for sale.
What brake set up have you used on your XL did you stick with 4 wheel drums or fit a XP disc brake front end or have u gone for the later x series brakes??
I noticed you have the XL master cylinder so i think the last option is out or else you would have had an XB type on there.

Mk2 Zephyr
2011 XR6 Special edition

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hi Longlivethefalcon.

I was lucky. I thought I had a 170ci or a 200ci and it turned out to be a 221 :D

I tend to like the look of XL's on 13" rims - lowered 1.5" to 2". I have therefore kept the original brake setup with skimmed drums, new cylinders and new bonded linings of course. I do have a complete 5 stud disk brake set up for the front that requires 14" rims and then I would need to look at the rear set up.

This wont be a daily driver as I have an XE S-PAC sedan and an XF S-PAC wagon for that.

Lets get it on the road first and see how it performs....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next