AU centre console in XH Ute 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU centre console in XH Ute
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: XH Ute

QLD, Australia

I picked up a complete AU centre console at the weekend for $20 so happy enough with that.

I reckoned it would be a plug and play affair, but far from it. It fits on the transmission tunnel ok, but none of the mounting points are the same, but should be manageable with some plates and self tappers.

The auto selector cover is separate from the console, so I reckoned gluing it would be the go, but only had some white bathroom silicone to hand last night, seems to have done the trick and will allow a bit of give if I didn't get it quite straight.

The economy switch had me stumped for a bit as the AU item is a momentary switch and the XH is a toggle and a very different shape. Fixed easily in the end by swapping the caps on the switches, but had to cut a bit of a notch out of the underside of the AU switch to allow it to toggle properly. Means I'm using the AU cap on the XH switch and can use the XH wiring. Result

Pics to follow when I get a chance.

Post subject: Re: AU centre console in XH Ute
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Tried a test fit up last night and the poxy silicone let go, seems like the back of the console is too smooth for it to grip. Nothing a bit of sandpaper can't fix.

Anyway, here's some pics of the switch mod. The caps are a straight swap between switch bodies, both switch bodies are the same size so swap nicely and the fit is perfect. Since I predominantly drive in economy mode I may turn the switch internals so that it sits completely flat (in the disengaged position picture below), but the difference is minimal, especially when viewed from the driving position.

Old V's new
the old one is a bit closer to the camera so the size difference is exaggerated. The notch I had to cut into the underside of the switch to allow it to toggle properly
Image Image

This is the econ engaged and disengaged
Image Image

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

This is interesting , never though about that with using the AU switch cover on the XH/ED one .

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Initially I was prepared to make up a bunch of relays that would change the momentary pulse to toggle the econ switchover, but it would take 4 or 5 relays to do it. So finding a simpler solution was a bonus. Retaining the existing wiring connection was handy too since I didn't have the AU connector.

Managed a to get the console fitted last night. Pics to follow.

Used a couple of ally pieces, cut from the legs of an outdoor chair, and screwed them under the existing XH front mounting points. These maintain the mounting height and give a location nearer the front of the car to allow the AU mounting holes to locate onto them.

At the back the AU console has feet that made it sit too high, so they were cut off in line with the bottom of the unit. The XH console had a mounting plate riveted to the side of the console that I was able to remove. Used a self tapper to thread the rivet holes and drilled through the AU plastic at the right spot and used it to mount the rear.

Seems to sit pretty firm and (as a last minute thought) the lid stays up, so it must be reasonably level.

The biggest issue now will be getting the auto selector channel in the right spot and fixing it.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Had to grout the bathroom tiles last night so only got a chance to take a couple of pics of the work to date.

To get the console to sit level I cut off the rear mounting lugs. I didn't measure anything, just chopped them off I line with the lower edge of the console, this turned out to work well and I didn't need to make any more cuts. You can also see the holes I drilled to fit to the rear mount.

The front mountings are a bit of a lash up but they won't be seen. The blocks are hollow aluminium with a couple of internal braces, they are cut from the leg of an outdoor chair (it's a bit wobbly now). The brass coloured lugs are the original fitting points for the XH console, I drilled new holes in them and used self tappers to screw into the blocks, a couple of spring washers help keep them firmly fixed, but leave a little movement to get the alignment of the auto selector right.

I fixed the rear mounting plate from the XH console to the floor then fitted the AU console in place at the front and managed to get the point of a sharpie through the hole in the plate to mark the inside of the console where the holes needed to be drilled. I was pleasantly surprised that the holes lined up perfectly when I refitted it (more luck than judgment I reckon).
This is the plate mounted and the location of the hole.
ImageImage

Luckily a couple of the AU mounting bolts were self tappers, just the right size to cut a thread in the existing mounting plate holes so I used them. I could have used other bolts, but in the interests of future removal I thought this would be the best way to fix it.

Still to do:-

1-Fit the auto selector - the intention is to glue it to the underside of the console.
2-Get a good location for the window buttons, cut holes and fit.
3-Find a location under the console to fit the bank of relays that auto close the windows when I lock the car.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Managed to get a bit of time on the ute at the weekend and reckon it's all done and dusted.

To align the shifter I used a heap of double sided padded tape round the hole and on the shifter plastic. Dropped the shifter block over the lever then mounted the console and pulled the shifter block into place so it stuck well to the double sided tape.

The plan was to trim back the tape with a blade and mark the underside of the console so I could remove the shifter block and glue it properly. However, when I tried to take the shifter block out it was pretty well stuck, so I left it that way.

Here are a couple of shots of the underside with the electric window switches and auto-close relays in place.
ImageImage

Here's the top

And here it is all fitted in place and ready to go.

Needless to say the double sided tape lasted no time at all and the selector fell out inside a day, I didn't expect it to last, so I'd already got a tube of builders bog and was able to use the outline I'd drawn as intended and it's pretty well stuck in place now.

A bit of an ordeal just for the luxury of a couple of cup holders, although that wasn't the only reason for the change.

If I was doing this again I'd get the AU selector and plastic base and use it in the modification, not sure if it would be a straight swap, but probably a bit less awkward than the way I went about it.

Hope this helps someone else who's thinking about making the swap.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Looks very good , The AU consoles look like they are meant to be in the XH. Least you have cupholders now :D

how did you do the power windows into the XH?

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Cheers mate, I went the easy route and got some universal ones.

here's a link to how I did it ford-x-series-f29/universal-electric-windows-into-xh-ute-t123238.html

Last edited by falcopops on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Bugger ,

I have 2 XF motors but don't know how to do the conversion :(

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

ford-x-series-f29/universal-electric-windows-into-xh-ute-t123238.html
Hope this one works, using the phone and its a bit awkward. Edited previous post too.

There are a few topics covering electric windows I found before going down the route I took. Try the search function. IIRC the one that looked most helpful didn't have the pictures linked properly, which is a pity.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:34 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The doco in the X series section did have pics - balls up with the new forum revamp.
All the others including XH cupholders still have pics.

There is a thread by Johnny FX with an EB console front onto an EF/EL console.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Imo the ef cupholders are pretty terrible ,

I know there is no pics on the tech doc , how come ?

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
balls up with the new forum revamp.
One more time for good luck.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:52 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

About 6 months ago when I was 1st thinking about the electric windows I found Snap's Tech Doco with the pictures intact, it wasn't through the links in this forum (I hadn't found it yet) it was via google initially and possibly linked or replicated on some other forum.

When I've got time I'll have another look, unfortunately the Wayback Machine doesn't have them even though it goes back to 2009 on the thread.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next