AU motor into XG 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: AU motor into XG
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: V8 XG VAN / V8 NL fairlane ghia

VIC, Australia

i have just done this conversion
only real mod that was needed was to space the swaybar down 25 mm at the front mounts

and an XH tensioner

picked up a low k motor for $400 only done 90,000 klm
very worthwhile conversion IMHO

Post subject: Re: AU motor into XG
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

hey mate got a photo of you spacers fitted up?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

the first 2 pix are of the spacers

regards Heath

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

$400 ?? thats a bargain well done

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Falcon

VIC, Australia

Just done the same, Pretty easy but took me most of the week to get it done around work.

My sway bar spacers are made out of 1" RHS 2.5mm wall and I just cut the notches with the angle grinder and cleaned up the edges with a file then drilled the hole through them and got some longer bolts, dead easy and easily just as strong as original and shouldn't change how the sway bar works at all, still sits reasonably close to the sump, hits when I jack it up from the cross member but I doubt I will be able to make it hit while on the road unless I get it airborne and then that will be the last thing I will be worried about.

I used the XG engine mounts, XG timing cover (2 sump bolts at the bottom left out and just mastik'd up), XG Oxy sensor, XG power steering pump, XG harmonic balancer and XG alternator then cut some notches in the webbing on the bolck, tapped out one of the holes on the block to 7/16 UNF which was not drilled and tapped and fitted a HT 7/16 bolt with loctite to mount the XG alternator mounting bracket along with the standard long 6mm bolt rather than using an AU unit.

Means that when the XG alternator dies I can use either XG or AU with minor wiring alterations.

Had to cut about 10mm off the aircon mounts on the block, and I made up a mounting plate for the coil to bolt on where the knock sensor was for the AU.

All up, the conversion has cost me about $300 for a 180k engine and reco trans which replaces my 480k engine and second hand trans which I have no idea what K's it's done.

I got my Engine and trans off Ebay for $179, trans is reco, came with startermotor but no alternator or power steering pump thus why I used all the XG stuff.

As par the course and seems I had the front off the engine I fit a new timing chain and tensioner kit, seal etc

Loving it, next to fix some minor rust, and exhaust, get the low beams working and fit new lights all round and some new spring saddles for the front and it should be done and can go back to work.

Cheers Damo

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: e series

NSW, Australia

he man nice job on the spacers i was thinking of putting an au in my xg but didnt want to do mods to fit.so i threw in ed xr6 engine which is exactly the same as the stock xg so easy to change

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

good work
ive just got my other XG regoed

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: e series

NSW, Australia

shagin wagon nice

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

dammcc wrote:
Just done the same, Pretty easy but took me most of the week to get it done around work.

My sway bar spacers are made out of 1" RHS 2.5mm wall and I just cut the notches with the angle grinder and cleaned up the edges with a file then drilled the hole through them and got some longer bolts, dead easy and easily just as strong as original and shouldn't change how the sway bar works at all, still sits reasonably close to the sump, hits when I jack it up from the cross member but I doubt I will be able to make it hit while on the road unless I get it airborne and then that will be the last thing I will be worried about.

I used the XG engine mounts, XG timing cover (2 sump bolts at the bottom left out and just mastik'd up), XG Oxy sensor, XG power steering pump, XG harmonic balancer and XG alternator then cut some notches in the webbing on the bolck, tapped out one of the holes on the block to 7/16 UNF which was not drilled and tapped and fitted a HT 7/16 bolt with loctite to mount the XG alternator mounting bracket along with the standard long 6mm bolt rather than using an AU unit.

Means that when the XG alternator dies I can use either XG or AU with minor wiring alterations.

Had to cut about 10mm off the aircon mounts on the block, and I made up a mounting plate for the coil to bolt on where the knock sensor was for the AU.

All up, the conversion has cost me about $300 for a 180k engine and reco trans which replaces my 480k engine and second hand trans which I have no idea what K's it's done.

I got my Engine and trans off Ebay for $179, trans is reco, came with startermotor but no alternator or power steering pump thus why I used all the XG stuff.

As par the course and seems I had the front off the engine I fit a new timing chain and tensioner kit, seal etc

Loving it, next to fix some minor rust, and exhaust, get the low beams working and fit new lights all round and some new spring saddles for the front and it should be done and can go back to work.

Cheers Damo

great work Damo

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BF XR6 '07

NSW, Australia

Hey guy's, nice job on the conversion! Am doing the same thing now to my xg ute, and I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me!

With the xg intake manifold, can you bolt it straight to the au head?

Is the xg dizzy able to be put onto the au block?

Did you have to change out the xg ecu to an au ecu?

Cheers guys, looking at the pictures gives me hope!

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

flathead wrote:
Hey guy's, nice job on the conversion! Am doing the same thing now to my xg ute, and I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me!

With the xg intake manifold, can you bolt it straight to the au head?
A) Yes
Is the xg dizzy able to be put onto the au block?
A) Yes

Did you have to change out the xg ecu to an au ecu?
A) AU ECU is for Coil pack, it won't run the dizzy. Use all the wiring from the XG on the AU Motor. You can use an EL ECU if you want to run an EF/EL BBM.

Cheers guys, looking at the pictures gives me hope!

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BF XR6 '07

NSW, Australia

Cheers for the info swc! Headache has now eased!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]