Fordmods Logo

BA XR6 automatic to manual transmission change 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR6 automatic to manual transmission change
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford BA XR6 Phantom

VIC, Australia

Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost to change my 4sp auto to a 5sp manual? And, any opinions about whether I should or shouldn’t?

Post subject: Re: BA XR6 automatic to manual transmission change
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

rickBAman wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost to change my 4sp auto to a 5sp manual? And, any opinions about whether I should or shouldn’t?

Hi. i thought about doing the same thing .... a few years back. you will find some people will go yeah do it & others will go nah you will lose $$ on it. so 'changing' your car is totally up to you.

i bought a complete box, flywheel/clutch & pedal assembly [also included the cruise/brake/clutch switches & wiring loom] for roughly a grand. i had already bought an XR PCM [about 200/300 plus changed to override security for $?]. but prices maybe higher now.

also who would be fitting/changing the boxes around? as that will be extra $$ too unless you do the work. with mine i will be [sometime] fitting everything myself so i save there.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey, appreciate your response. I was originally looking for an XR6 that was already manual, but, couldn’t damn well find one!!! And the difference in price between the two was outrageous! So I bought the automatic one and I am happy with it, but it made me start to crunch numbers, then realised, hey, I’m holding onto this thing for future value, so if I struggled to find a manual now, then wouldn’t it make sense to do the conversion?!

Probably save money in the future by doing it, simply because it would save me having that milkshake problem! Haha

Anyway cheers for your wisdom!

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

rickBAman wrote:
Hey, appreciate your response. I was originally looking for an XR6 that was already manual, but, couldn’t damn well find one!!! And the difference in price between the two was outrageous! So I bought the automatic one and I am happy with it, but it made me start to crunch numbers, then realised, hey, I’m holding onto this thing for future value, so if I struggled to find a manual now, then wouldn’t it make sense to do the conversion?!

Probably save money in the future by doing it, simply because it would save me having that milkshake problem! Haha

Anyway cheers for your wisdom!

to make sure you don't have a free milkshake . . . . . . .... [i presume you have the hard lines to radiator?] is fit an air/oil radiator [cooler] to the hard line ends at the radiator. refer to link

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11441275

different box but same theory. i also fitted one to the missus's old BF. have yet to fit one to the 'new' BF as there is a 'few' things to remove/replace & both were/are 4 speeds.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I would have thought by the time the BF came out, Ford would have sorted their milkshakes by then! I had a BA futura and did that 2nd cooler upgrade! (After me gearbox finally shat itself) it all started in the radiator…

Now, I hand balled that one to me missus, and are currently still bugged out from it in my mind!!! So, yeah, it’s worth the upgrade just so you can sleep at night without every smell being “the milkshake “

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

rickBAman wrote:
I would have thought by the time the BF came out, Ford would have sorted their milkshakes by then! I had a BA futura and did that 2nd cooler upgrade! (After me gearbox finally shat itself) it all started in the radiator…

Now, I hand balled that one to me missus, and are currently still bugged out from it in my mind!!! So, yeah, it’s worth the upgrade just so you can sleep at night without every smell being “the milkshake “

no ............ i think it was still going till FG?

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah doesn’t surprise me! I know taxi drivers back in 03 wouldn’t let them out of the rank until they had that upgrade!!! Suppose there’s how you get 3 or more million clicks outta the things ay?!!!

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]