Fordmods Logo

balljoint replacement trouble's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: balljoint replacement trouble's
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 XG

NSW, Australia

g'day, here we go another whinging post, seems u guys only here from me when im in trouble.

i was looking for XB351 on here but couldnt find him as he was really helpful before with one of my suspensions/steering queries. (hopefully he'll come across this forum anywyas)

my problem: i can not get my old ball joint out of the steering knuckle it is screwed to, yes i undid the bolt that holds it there :)

are these things hydraulically pressed in, or screwed in, or is it possible its just held in there tight with years of dust s**t road grim and bitumen.

i have undone the three 1/2 inch bolts that hold the ball joint to the wishboney thingy (that is screwed to the shocker). levered the whole wheel/disc brake assembly out of its little "seat" under the shock and spring. so it is now swinging freely. undid the big 22mm nut underneath the steering knuckle that holds the ball joint there . . . and now im stuck

i have pulled it, hit it with a hammer, swore at it, kicked it, tried to lever it with differant objects. but cannot get it free.

please help :( how do i get it out and how do i replace it with my new one??

by the way its in my 1994 XG falcon ute, which i noticed the whole setup is exaclty the same as my 1974 ZG fairlane.

any help would be apprecaited

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XG Pano

VIC, Australia

They're a pain in the a** to get out, is it the top or bottom balljoint? I had to replace the the bottom passenger side one on my xg panel van. You have to grind and drill out the rivets that hold it in, the replacement should come with nuts and bolts to secure it.

93 Xg Panel Van: Globe Wheels, Lowered, 2.5 Inch Exhaust, Nice and clean with more to come

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 XG

NSW, Australia

top one, i thnk i need a ball joint removwer tool, or sumpin like dat, i have been reading abit and going to go try buy one tmw and do it

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xd fairmont

NSW, Australia

is it the ball joint or tie rod end , there is a upper and lower ball joint which the wheel pivots on for turning or tie rod end which are for steering , if its tie rod end smash the side of it ( the bit that its bolted to) with a 4lb hammer on the siede , yes it works ( it unlocks the taper ) if your going to hit the threasd part down put nut on 1/2 way first
you could also use a tierod end remover which is a big wedge , there are 2 types one which u hit with hammer or one which ids pnuematic ( better )

dont little things like this just s**t u

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

flog it with a decent sized hammer. where the steering knucle sort of turns a corner to the balljoint. it'll eventually come loose.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

dont need the tool for a top ball joint

put the nut back on it and smack the f**k out of it with a hammer
hitting the nut with the face of the hammer head!

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]