Fordmods Logo

Barra into XF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Barra into XF
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon XF

NSW, Australia

Hi, This is my first post so go easy on me if I ask a stupid question or one that has been ask before!

We have a 87 XF EFI with T5 that is used as a track car. We also have a 2010 FG XR6 n/a barra engine plus ecu, bcm, full wiring harness including ignition key. We want to fit it to our XF and use the T5. The car will never be registered.

I am looking for guidance with the following;

I want to use the T5 currently in the car. Understand the bell housing is different (XF to FG). Does the bell housing have to be from a FG or do other models share the same bell housing facilitating fitting our T5 to the Barra with minor mods. Will a AU BH fit?

Fly wheel and clutch. Will the flywheel and clutch from our EFI fit the barra? If not what are my options. Leeds me to also ask if the existing cable system (for clutch) can be used or do have to convert to hydraulic?

Engine mounts. Are there standard ford engine mounts that will facilitate the transplant or do we have to customise?

Will the engine fit with the FG sump or do we need to change. Have indication that XF sway bar is only issue and can be changed. If this is true what model sway bar would we use?

Understand the electronics maybe a hassle, we do have a bit of a handle on this bit however any tips on this and questions above would be gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: Barra into XF
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

XF747 wrote:
Hi, This is my first post so go easy on me if I ask a stupid question or one that has been ask before!

We have a 87 XF EFI with T5 that is used as a track car. We also have a 2010 FG XR6 n/a barra engine plus ecu, bcm, full wiring harness including ignition key. We want to fit it to our XF and use the T5. The car will never be registered.

I am looking for guidance with the following;

I want to use the T5 currently in the car. Understand the bell housing is different (XF to FG). Does the bell housing have to be from a FG or do other models share the same bell housing facilitating fitting our T5 to the Barra with minor mods. Will a AU BH fit?

Fly wheel and clutch. Will the flywheel and clutch from our EFI fit the barra? If not what are my options. Leeds me to also ask if the existing cable system (for clutch) can be used or do have to convert to hydraulic?

you can use AU or BA depending on IF you want to use the cable clutch OR the hydraulic system. but seeing as you already have the cable maybe AU? & thats all i can help you with. sorry

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Excellent thanks for your help.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Re the sump - the FG has rear pick-up, whereas every other Ford 6 is a front pick-up. Maybe you can use the sump, etc, from a BA/BF? Not too sure if this is possible.

If you can locate a manual bellhousing from an AU/BA/BF it should work. You could use an E-series bellhousing, but the bottom bolts won't line up.

Engine mounts - EA maybe? These will fit the XF chassis, not sure re the FG block...

Hope this helps.

8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
Re the sump - the FG has rear pick-up, whereas every other Ford 6 is a front pick-up. Maybe you can use the sump, etc, from a BA/BF? Not too sure if this is possible.

Engine mounts - EA maybe? These will fit the XF chassis, not sure re the FG block...

It is possible to fit the BA/BF sump to the FG block, you will need the Sump and the oil pick up from the BA/BF.

EA/EB Engine mounts will work, just small mods required to lower the motor down to fit under the bonnet (needed for the EA/EB, so would think that it maybe so for the XF).

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Excellent thankyou.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]