Fordmods Logo

Central locking help needed 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Central locking help needed
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1995 XG falcon ute

VIC, Australia

trying to install central locking on my 1995 xg longreach and I am having some trouble finding where to plug in all the wires for it.

the wiring diagram says I need to wire it into these wires battery (obviously) red and black, acc white/black, foot brake switch orange, it also has pink and pink/black which I have no idea where they go even in theory and lastly the yellow wire which I assume goes to the blinkers.

I want to try keep the wiring nice and neat but have no clue where and of the wires connect to other than the brake and the battery but the wires are not long enough to reach the battery terminals anyway.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: this is the wiring diagram
WIN_20150112_154953.JPG
WIN_20150112_154953.JPG [ 114.86 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]

Post subject: Re: Central locking help needed
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

rorschach239 wrote:
trying to install central locking on my 1995 xg longreach and I am having some trouble finding where to plug in all the wires for it.

the wiring diagram says I need to wire it into these wires battery (obviously) red and black, acc white/black, foot brake switch orange, it also has pink and pink/black which I have no idea where they go even in theory and lastly the yellow wire which I assume goes to the blinkers.

I want to try keep the wiring nice and neat but have no clue where and of the wires connect to other than the brake and the battery but the wires are not long enough to reach the battery terminals anyway.

pic explains ALL lol ...... the foot brake switch shown is an EARTH type switch so won't work as it should unless you put a relay in the brake circuit as EA & up use a powered switch :mrgreen:

yellow wire goes to the HAZARD side of the blinkers.

as to the "pink & pink/black" it shows em connected to earth but without the brochure in front of me . . . . . . .... no idea :roll:

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
rorschach239 wrote:

pic explains ALL lol ...... the foot brake switch shown is an EARTH type switch so won't work as it should unless you put a relay in the brake circuit as EA & up use a powered switch :mrgreen:

yellow wire goes to the HAZARD side of the blinkers.

as to the "pink & pink/black" it shows em connected to earth but without the brochure in front of me . . . . . . .... no idea :roll:

that is all well and good but I already knew all that, I am wanting to know how to find these wires, and ways of wiring them in not exactly what the diagram has already told me.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

rorschach239 wrote:

that is all well and good but I already knew all that, I am wanting to know how to find these wires, and ways of wiring them in not exactly what the diagram has already told me.

calm down

do you have a manual for your model? [car] and multimeter?

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
calm down

do you have a manual for your model? [car] and multimeter?

yes I have all of those things.

I'm calm and I appreciate the help.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hazard light switch has two wires coming out, one to each blinker... Otherwise if there was only one wire then all blinkers would be on when on left or right... It shows diodes installed so you'll need to add two diodes... and feed into each blinker line... One blinker line is green and one is green/blue... You can see the combo switch on the right hand side of the drawing and the two wires coming out... Not sure what the looms look like on your XG, but there should be a large loom disappearing through the firewall into the engine bay, these two wires will be in there somewhere... Or under the dash coming out of the combo switch plug... They will also loop into the driver kick panel and into the body loom and to the rear of the car... Just make sure install those diodes and get them around the right way (control board should have had these inside and two outputs, one for each blinker... Bit cheap...

Attachment:
EA EB ED Factory Manual Voumel 2_Signal Lamps.pdf [53.86 KiB]
Downloaded 336 times

In the above attachment, there is no reason you couldn't put the door locks on the hazard light circuit... The circuit has no load until the you turn hazard switch on, also keeps some of smartlock's memory alive... Odds of you using the door locks and the hazard lights together are minimal and even you did the odds of it overloading and blowing the fuse are minimal too... So I'd pick power up off that yellow wire (383) going into the combo switch that supplies power to hazard switch... Then the control board is protected by that 15amp fuse...

The pink and pink/black wires show links in the line to earth... What does the text say about them? Seems like you only hook them up in some cases and not others...?

You'll be able to find a black wire in any loom to hook onto for earth... Make sure it isn't a black with any colour trace first... And then confirm it has continuity to earth anyway before hooking into it... (Black/yellow is fuel pump power and black/blue is ground for interior light (door open))...

Dunno why it needs to see the foot brake... By foot brake are they meaning brake lamps or hand brake? Hand brake is on the bum of the handbrake obviously... Orange/green wire... Otherwise brakes are on the pedal box and there is two green/red wires on the plug, one side is powered all the time, one side is only powered while you're on the brakes... Obviously this wire will also be behind the driver kick panel as it heads to the rear of the car... Again the text may help explains why they need this wire and that in turn may clarify which system they mean... The circuit diagram isn't enough to explain whether it needs to see power or earth when the brakes are on, its very poorly drawn... Hopefully the text clarifies that... The handbrake wire (orange/green) (which I assume they use) is earthed when on and powered when off...

Attachment:

This one is your accy circuits for the last wire... I'd probably use that accy rly fuses with the mirrors on it... Violet/red wire... It'll run from the back of the fuse box and into the white plug that goes into the drivers door up to the mirror switch so probably easiest to unplug that plug and splice into the wire there...

If you need more help sing out...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You said you were doing this neat too so I'll express the usual... When I say splice I don't mean scotch locks... I mean remove the insulation with a razor blade and wrap the new wire around it and solder the connection insulating afterward with electrical tape or similar...

Goes without saying to everyone...

DO NOT USE SCOTCH LOCKS... THEY ARE s**t...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The XG Smartlock module is same as the EB/ED, so it does support the factory style keyless central locking, but you need to wire in the extras, and use the factory actuators, or an aftermarket system, via it's control unit.

This aftermarket system is similar to most other aftermarkets, except it has it's own remotes. The system will lock, on first braking - anti hijack function. The wire looks for 12v on the brake light side of the switch.
The pink/pink black look like negative triggers, so if you earth each in turn, the system will lock/unlock.
You could hook these up to the smartlock module and use a factory keyfob, but also wire the indicators and a switch on the boot line to train the keyfob.

There is a tech doc on installing aftermarket central locking.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ahhhhh...

So the foot brake is indeed the brake pedal... Makes sense... Guess some people want that feature... Sounds like a pain in the bum...

And of course the pink and pink/blue wires are that... Should have realised that... Haven't done many of these...

As snap said, if it were me too because you already have a smartlock module installed I'd just fit factory actuators and pair up some remote controls...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The smartlock module in these is behind the LH dash air vent.
I'm guessing the ACC line on that kit is for training it's own remotes.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I was just about to ask what I found on the passenger side behind an internal panel but it sounds as though that might be the smartlock system? big grey box like 15cm x 15cm or near enough left hand side between the floor and the glovebox?

thanks for the help everyone, I have wired up the 2 motors and will continue working tomorrow I will be hiding the wires away (trying to think of the best way to feed the wires from the doors to the inside of the car atm) once I have the wires all connected I will test it and if it works as it should I will put my ute back together and let you all know how it went. if it does work I will be back here and also hunting through the internet looking for answers to get it to work.

also it was mentioned before something about power mirrors...the 1995 xg doesn't have power mirrors...

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:05 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The grey on on the floor behind the kick panel is the PCM... Powertain Control Module... It runs the motor... The one snap is referring to is up behind the passenger air vent... If I remember rightly they're a prick to get to... If you have no intention of hooking up the factory system that was already in the ute then it is of little concern to you now...

Keeping your system just note what snap said about the brake pedal wiring and the pink and pink/blue wiring and hook that up accordingly... Or if you don't want those features don't hook them up...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ok so after a few trips out to buy more wire and some diodes, I have the wiring setup so that the doors lock and unlock with the remotes and the indicators flash as well.

I still have the pink wires and the black/white wire to hook up (decided I wouldn't bother ith the foot brake one) but I was just wondering what the point of hooking up the black/white wire to the accessories would possibly do? as it seems the car locks and unlocks the way it should with the indicators working fine, any ideas on why I need to hook up any more wires?

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Snap stated it had something to do with pairing remotes possibly... Not sure myself...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Read again what I've written.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next