Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: drift an old skool
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This again from my perspective would be sweet as to see...

A v8 or any sort is so much cooler than the jap 4cyls... I still never forget the first time I saw robbie bolger drifting his commodore ute with a supercharged v8 producing 1024rwhp... It smoked the tyres the whole main straight... The jap cars didn't have the torque to keep em going... Its was an amazing sight...

Either that or you could go a ute, not back seats in them to add weight... Forgive me but in saying that I'm not sure whether a light rear end like that would make it extremely hard to drift or not...

As for a diff... Could always try and find a pranged Falcon RTV somewhere, as they both run leaf springs and have the lock up diff in them... Might be modifiable into an XC? I don't know... Not sure what a wrecker would want for them, imagine it wouldn't be cheap though...

As for steering you might be able to get some sort of power rack from something... But if you just run a quick steer you'll have it pretty twitchy and responsive anyway...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

honestly unless you win lotto it's not gunna happen competitively. not with an xc, theres a reason the rice burners dominate.... even over 6 litre supercharged commonwhores.. with <wank> umpteenth kw <wank>, it's cuase their suited to do that..... theres a reason they don't drift 60 seater buses and 10 tonne panteks.... it's cause they were designed for something else, something similar to a near 40 year old falcon... it was never designed as a sports car, specially in the 70's, may have been sporty then but the definition of sporty has changed somewhat since then.600hp and leaf springs was the answer to fun back then but things have changed. if your xc is any good and your that serious then sell it if it's worth anything and buy a turbo rice burner coz their worth phuk all these days. and dollar for dollar will outdrift anything you could do with an xc.

face it it just wasn't meant to happen, otherwise it wouldve by now....

and to the knobs (aka top gear australia) that think that utes are awsome for drifting... have another look phukwits, they run a 'brute ute' series coz utes are just incomparable to cars, it's coz they handle shyte. utes are good for 360's not drifting. their useless for drifting coz drifting requires constant angles and control. theres little control in the back end when it comes to utes... once again hence why D1 has NO utes. or old cars.

not out to shoot you down, just out to save your hip pocket

true it would be awsome to see an old coon drifting but the only thing they're good for is power slides. which is far from drifting.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon ED

QLD, Australia

I heard there's a mob in Melbourne or somewhere selling minispools for about $75 over the internet. Ive welded up dozens of diffs, usually I'll cut an access hole and jam the planetary gears full of bolts or pieces of reo, then weld the exposed planetaries both sides. Thats for racing on a dirt track, and they fly to bits after a while. Next time I'll try a minispool. The reason they arent legal, is that its not possible to turn without the inside wheel jumping and carrying on, unless you light both up properly. You'll also find if you have a locked diff and you get one side in the dirt, the tar side will spear you off.
But yeah, I would say its the sensible thing to do. Love to see it.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Another thing that will make a Falcon drift is lotsa power...my xb coupe now has a 351 and will drift, I just don't like doing it too much cos I don't want to hurt the diff or tyres. If you are serious about this, build a car just to drift - lighten the crap out of it (gut the interior, fibreglass panels) stiffen it bigtime - strut braces, monte carlo bar, chassis connectors etc., stiff stiff stiff springs , sway bars etc LSD low ratio diff, and as much power as you can throw at it so 351 (or convert your 302 to 351 - pretty easy)

And don't pay too much heed to everyone who is saying that you can't make em slide, they do if you set them up. Same basic chassis as a mustang or Falcon GT - have a look at some older bathurst footage etc...they slide.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yer they slide awsomely into trees like that green motorcraft xd, one of the best looking x series imho, or many other earlier tank spec examples.

another reccomendation would be stroke n blow.. the engine of course.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Aw, thats a bit unfair - don't base all X series based on one car that clipped a barrier and broke its steering...sure, you have to do some work to get them to handle and even then, they're a handful - but thats half the fun...I'm old. I grew up driving these and older Falcons like XMs and XPs with drums all round - believe me, my first XA coupe with V8 and disc brakes was like `wow! a Falcon that goes, stops and goes around corners!!' (that was in 1980) I used to drive cabs for years so I know what E series and AU's handle like, and yes they're good by comparison (you'd be bloody disappointed in Ford if they didn't improve over the years) but I like the style and character of the older stuff - plus my car is 1973 so I can do what the hell I like to the motor without fear of the pollution police...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2