Installing a V8 into an XF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Installing a V8 into an XF
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

OK guys does anyone know the reg's about putting a V8 into an XF Ute at all, Such as does it need to be Straight Gas or can it be Duel Fuel or wat, what other changes will have to make like do I needd to put V8 springs in the front also I guess you would, anything you guys may know will help me out heaps Thanx Guys Jon :evil:

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

OK what yrear model XF is your ute? 86 or newer must run an EB or newer 5.0 (or you can get an 86 EFI 5.0 or 5.8 from the states). 85 or earlier can still run a clevo but it must be from an XE with all the relevant polution hoses conneted (I'd still run an EFI windsor in the early ones cause its easier to fit).

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i agree put a efi 5ltr into it. nice smooth motor with good starting and a smooth idle.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:57 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

I did this conversion couple years ago in QLD. Needed V8 Springs and rear disc. I used 1985 plates or find a leaded vehicle without F/I.

If you want a serious engine stick with the clevo. I own a windsor and its an expensive excersize to get the hp the clevo easily offered.

All in All it a basic conversion if you have done an engine swap before but be sure to have plenty boubon on hand.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

The XF ute is an 1988 model, but at home a have a FD LTD im striping down and thought I could be able to put the 351 out of that into the ute, Dont wanna go with the EFI as dont have money for that really and dont wanna spend to much on this ute I just wanna put the clevo and go old skool with it

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

id find an XE ute and use that as they came with v8's, and then put the XF front end ( and any other bits u want) on the XE, that way u have no rego troubles...my mate had an XF 351 and it got a licky a couple of years ago...hasnt seen the roads since....thats just my 2 cents

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:05 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

[quote="Grumblexr6"]The XF ute is an 1988 model, but at home a have a FD LTD im striping down and thought I could be able to put the 351 out of that into the ute, Dont wanna go with the EFI as dont have money for that really and dont wanna spend to much on this ute I just wanna put the clevo and go old skool with it[/quote]

"Old skool" I like it, If it were me I would find XD/XE ute Tags (not written off or stolen of course) and you could have it all without the dramas.

You have it all in the way of running gear so a trip to the junk yard and youre on your way.

But hey thats me.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

You should be able to place it on straight gas, This should get you past EPA issues, other than that have to modify the heater pipes. also if your going to get an engineer report tell them it's a 302. Less issues.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yea thanks guys for that, also XFV8Ford thats why I thought about putting it on straight gas for the EPA issue, Crossmember is the same isnt it as XE model, also been told no need to change brakes either as the didnt change from th earlyer model that true Thanx Jon

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Grumblexr6 wrote:
Yea thanks guys for that, also XFV8Ford thats why I thought about putting it on straight gas for the EPA issue, Crossmember is the same isnt it as XE model, also been told no need to change brakes either as the didnt change from th earlyer model that true Thanx Jon

There is a bit of stuffing around with crossmember but it will still fit just not in the original holes, only thing you may need to do is put a disc brake rear but if you tell them it's a 302 you may not need to do this as the difference in torque and hp of a stock 250 and a stock 302 in minimal. so performance upgrades are not needed.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:59 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

[quote="XFV8Ford"]You should be able to place it on straight gas, This should get you past EPA issues, other than that have to modify the heater pipes. also if your going to get an engineer report tell them it's a 302. Less issues.[/quote]

If you dont use the A/C you can modify the heater pipes to come thru where the a/c pipes currently do and this leaves plenty clearance.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

have a complete car that came with the v8 - makes it easier when it cmes time for all the difficult parts that you dont expect/ anticipate...

Can be done - as i am sure many people on here have done it before :)

i am thinking of putting in a EB 5L into my 87 ZL fairlane.. but that is still in the planning stages.

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]