Power steering in XB? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Power steering in XB?
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I have got hold of a reconditioned power steering box and pump for my XB (Clevo). Just trying to line up the pump and the bracket and it doesnt look quite right.

Just wondering if anyone has any pics of how its supposed to look.

Thanks.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

what pump do you have??? Is it the old tin housing with the dip stick???
I may have one here, off a ZG/ZH Fairlane.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:56 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

I did have the one with the dipstick but the one I got back is about half the depth of the old one and has a plastic filler cap. The bracket is exactly the same though.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:27 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Also, I have 1l of the generic Castrol power steering fluid from repco. It says suitable for most types and is in a black bottle with a red cap.

Is this stuff ok to use with the xb power steering?

The bracket still doesnt want to line up properly...

Attachments:
DSCF1381resize.JPG
DSCF1381resize.JPG [ 75.06 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
DSCF1380resize.JPG
DSCF1380resize.JPG [ 81.77 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You need spacers to use that pump on that bracket, and it may still not work. I made a bracket setup for an XD with 351C using an EF/EL pump.
I also fitted a cooler for the P/S fluid, because the extractors were only 1/2" from the steeringbox.
If you don't get it straight, it will spit the belt off at high RPMs.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

to me.. that p/s pump looks a lot like a one that you would get on a 6cycl x series car.

i always thought the v8 p/s pumps, had a rounder body - with the filler neck tilted back more?

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

zk wrote:
to me.. that p/s pump looks a lot like a one that you would get on a 6cycl x series car.

i always thought the v8 p/s pumps, had a rounder body - with the filler neck tilted back more?

The XD & XE's had the C2 pump, which is the plastic bodied pump, which were noisy, and Ford were still using them on the E series V8's, and the Explorers. The XF was the first to use the Saginaw pump, and they continued to use them up to the AUIII I6's.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:33 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Ok, so the pump theyve given me isn't the V8 version... I cant see why it wont work.

I currently have a tranny cooler fitted for the auto, is there anything wrong with plumbing that into the p/s when I put the toploader in?

I'll be taking the motor out soon to fit new welsh plugs and a manual conversion so I'll fit the p/s pulleys and line it all up spot on...Im not a big fan of losing steering.

Does anyone have a pic of how the tensioner bracket goes on. No matter how I position it, it wont line up...I only have one bracket, is this all that I should have? Maybe its this new waterpump that doesnt have the right holes...

Thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Found it!
So obvious now

*Slaps self in head

Attachments:
d831_1.jpg
d831_1.jpg [ 15.05 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
Ok, so the pump theyve given me isn't the V8 version... I cant see why it wont work.

I currently have a tranny cooler fitted for the auto, is there anything wrong with plumbing that into the p/s when I put the toploader in?

I'll be taking the motor out soon to fit new welsh plugs and a manual conversion so I'll fit the p/s pulleys and line it all up spot on...Im not a big fan of losing steering.

Does anyone have a pic of how the tensioner bracket goes on. No matter how I position it, it wont line up...I only have one bracket, is this all that I should have? Maybe its this new waterpump that doesnt have the right holes...

Thanks.

That pump will work just fine.
Yeah, you can plumb in the auto tranny cooler for the P/S. make sure its the low pressure side/return side, eh?
An easy way to fit it up, may be to use an XF hipressure hose and convert it over, because the original end won't go into the Saginaw pump, unless you can get an adaptor made to fit.
I have seen 3 different water pumps and all had the same holes in them.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]