Fordmods Logo

Turbo Or Worked 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo Or Worked
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1982 XD Ute

QLD, Australia

I have come to a cross roads i want a s**t load more take off and top end power out of my current XF EFI, i have 2 options so far that i know of but i am unsure of what extra work will be needed to make it all legal.

Firstly i have seen a cople of X model falcons with Turbo's i was wondering what will be needed to install one of these on a EFI system will i need to spend to much money on makin the car stronger or not.

Second is to just go and fully work the motor and gearbox for both top an bottom end speed and power

Both options can cost alot of money but will be a nice mod to have.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Anyone can slap a turbo on the side of a donk and get gains but the question is more often than not for how long. A small turbo probably wont give u the gains ur looking for so eventually ud wind up the boost and blow ur rings or f**k knows what else. The point is most good turbo setups require a fair bit or prep work to ensure that it holds together in the long run. Id suggest if u plan on keeping it for a little while then to work it up, but if its on its way out and u have the cash for a tubo setup and a new car than just slap the biggest hairdryer u have on and go that route.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

you want s**t more take off and top end power???

which one do you want more, taking your description of s**t into account you either have to go for mid to high end or low to mid, you cant have it all, if you stay atmo and go big cams they wont be happy down low, if you go turbo and go a big turbo it wont boost to higher in the rev range.

Im assuming you want to do it right, if so you will need an engine rebuild, each application will need its own cam, head can probably be done the same for both, exhaust will just be extractors and probably 2.5" mandrel exhaust if you go atmo, custom turbo exhaust manifold and 3" mandrel exhaust for turbo, you will also need a turbo, if you go a big turbo you will also need an external wastegate, you will need and intercooler and all the piping, rising rate fuel reg, bigger injectors and aftermarket ecu and some one to tune it, if you stay atmo you may be able to kepp the same injectors and depending on your cam choice maybe your ecu, but if s**t of power is required you will need to change both, if you have an auto box you will need to get that beefed, dont know how the standard diff will handle but with a big turbo you will eventually need a new one, engine rebuild will be almost the same which ever way you go bsides higher comp for atmo and lower comp and O-ring the block and use forgies for turbo, it would be a smart move to use the longer rods aswell if you can.

In summary the cheapest is atmo, but you will get more power from a snail, most of the fuel cost can be cut by using lpg, then you will just need to get your dizzy regraphed and boost retard added for turbo.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

the censoring function on thisa board is s**t, put the word load after each s**t in my first post.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:35 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

If you can find a 2nd hand turbo manifold for cheap (<$300) you can turbo your stock motor for anywhere from $2000 to $5000 if you are trying to do it on the cheap. The stock motor will hold fine if in good condition, a leak down test will tell. The stock cam is the best unless you are chasing big power (>300rwhp). Aftermarket EFI is mandatory.
Turbo selection is critical for good power, boost response, and engine longevity. Too small a turbo and you will be roasting the air.

In the end turboing the stock motor correctly will produce more power & torque, better economy and good road manners all for about the same price. I have done the cam and compression thing before and have now seen the light.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]