Fordmods Logo

XB coupe needs motor - ideas?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Ah, the good ol budget... believe me, I'd love to go BA but I reckon save the hassles and go turbo 6 - hard to beat a potential 1,000 horses!!!!!

ok, back to planet earth - my budget will top out at about $1,000 - I know, half of you are saying what will that get?? Well, ideal purchase would be say a defected or damaged XY, 302, pref. manual - possible even to get something still regoe'd even... then, chuck the 250 in that and get rid of it for whatever I can get... I know it sounds dodgy but done it a few times before, and even managed to turn a profit as well as end up with new running gear. I prefer to have a whole car to work with for ease of grabbing wiring, trans mounts etc etc.

Real cheapo version just means getting hold of an XD- XF - have you seen how cheap these are now?? saw a primo example the other day - efi 250 5 speed on gas, a bit rusty, 350 bux. Simply cannot go wrong...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

if your staying 6 stick with the old 2v they have been known to show up the odd 302 but really just save and get a 351 and dont worry about economy just the other week my local paper had an xd with 351/top loader/9" for $1200 and it was in there for 3 weeks a cheap old car is the go then you get all the forgoten about trinkets who cares if its a rusted out unreg wreck you only need running gear then you need some huge back wheels that coupes should have come with std start at 10"

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Damage wrote:

Love the idea but I have to agree, don't think they would fit, they would be narrower than the BOSS but they are still wide, but if they could fit (large sledge hammer and oxy could work wonders).

How about a 460, I know that has been flogged heaps too, but think about the fun.

Springs aren't that hard to change, if you have the right tools :wink:

What is your budget?

If the budget is big enough then an RRS strut kit and shock tower notching kit would give it quite a bit more room to fit. As for the 460 oh s**t yeah even a mildly worked one is wheelspin city. And they could be had for cheap as chips too. I've seen runners with gearboxes go for a tick over 1500 bucks.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: xf wagon

SA, Australia

try xf efi motor good power exelent fuel econ big job tho

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

kris n nicky wrote:
try xf efi motor good power exelent fuel econ big job tho

Sorry but I just p****d my self laughing when I read this.

Yes a freshly rebuilt and properly run in example may fit your description but a delapidated one with 270,000+kms isn't even woth looking at unless you can pick it up for free and plan to rebuild it with a ported head and hot cam. Otherwise just throw it in the tip.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

nik, provided they dont use the EEC-IV ECU from an XF, and go for an aftermarket management, there's nothing wrong with the XF EFI I6's, but i still wouldnt stick one in an XB hardtop

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2