Fordmods Logo

XB coupe that i want to put V8 into... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: XB coupe that i want to put V8 into...
Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi all,
the v8 bug is nibbling away at me - I really want to put a v8 in my xb coupe and I want to buy a rough complete v8 car to nick everything off - anyone have a wreck or anything moldering away in their backyard in SA?? defected, crashed, rusty etc would be ideal... I want a car with a GOOD motor , prefer on gas, prefer manual but other than that anything from XR to XB would suit (nothing against XC's and later but I don't want pollution gear - my car is pre ADR 27) They seem to be getting very few and far between in the trading post these days...If the guy whose Fairlane (302 w 4 speed on gas) I looked at near Gawler River ages ago is reading this get in touch - I really regret not buying your car!

And yes, Windsors are fine - I already have approval from rego boys - let me know if you have anything suitable....

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I don't have a wrecked car but I have a heap of bits you may be interested in.

I have a 302W long block that I'd like to get rid off. It's actually an EFI motor out of a EB Fairmont, but I want to keep the explorer manifold I got with it and all the loom etc. How does this help you, you ask ????

Put a carby manifold on it and you have a 302W with a roller cam (roller lifters will be included, as will the cam but you'll probably want to replace that). I have all the accessories also but you'll probably not want those so you can go for a V belt setup rather than serpentine. You'll want to tell the rego boys this is a pre '70 block, or the emissions will get you.

It definately needs a new water pump, and maybe a timing cover. I also have a 4 speed manual and all the gear to go with it (belhousing, clutch, brand new master and slave cylinders).

On top of that I also have a 302C, but I am keeping the heads of that to put on the 351C in Coupe. Various other bits and pieces too, I really need to have a cleanout soon.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Wow, that sounds tempting....but how do I just tell the rego boys its a pre 70's block?????????????? Engine number is a dead giveaway of its age....I mean, the idea is brilliant but for this , ahem, minor detail....remember, too, I'm going from a 6 to an 8, what if they want to inspect it, which they will - they will check engine no. and then say ah, wheres all the pollution gear??

What kind of money are you after for this engine?? Even doing it with late model accessories would be a nice setup....

Does it run well etc from your knowledge?

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

"Does it run well", no idea. I bought it as a long motor that had been removed from the car for a long time. I have it all stripped except the bottom end, because I was planning to rebuild it regardless.

The bores are in very good nick and I suspect it going to be a very good motor. If you don't want to, or can't, rebuild it yourself I could rebuild it before I sold it to you, but obviously the price would go up. All it will need is rings, bearings and gaskets (as well as the water pump already mentioned). I wouldn't replace the lifters, even if you went with a new cam, as they are rollers and in good condition. Push rods all look to be good. If you want I can strip the bottom end to verify it is sound. It's not on the engine stand at the moment, so I wont do this unless you are really keen on it.

As for getting past rego, not sure if they check engine age by number or not. Without sugesting you do anyhting illegal, buy a rooted cleveland block for $10, then use it's engine number to restamp the windsor block. Or ask the Rego guys if you can rego with no engine number, you improted this engine from the states and it has no number !!! Make some calls to the rego guys and see what options you have. They are real people that like cars, so they will help you where they can.

As for price, that all depends on what you want. Short or long motor, what accessories etc. It doesn't owe me a lot of money at this stage so I'd be starting around the $500 mark. I am negotiable.

PM me and we can arrange something in private.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmmmm, look, let me have a think about it - its tempting but kinda getting away from what I wanted to do - I was really looking at going pre-pollution

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hmmmm, look, let me have a think about it - its tempting but kinda getting away from what I wanted to do - I was really looking at going pre-pollution

well I might have the goods you want,302 Clevo,pre polly s**t, etc...

The deal is still hapening so we'll see...

vik...stay tuned :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[b]BANNED[\b]

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hey, vik351, sounds verry interesting!! Keep me posted (I'm watching this topic anyway but yeh, let me know, and thanks!!)

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ef Falcon

WA, Australia

i hate the be the bearer of bad news but all xb v8's had pollution gear on it even the gt had it my coupe had to have when it was in sa but now that its in the west i can change things on it

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Sorry, hate to disagree but it totally depends on the year and month of manufacture. My car's build date was November 1973 (very early XB coupe) - as such it is an ADR 26 vehicle, and can run ANY ADR 26 engine - SA rego authorities have backed me up on this one and have approved any ADR 26 engine in there - my original query to them was can I run a 1970 Windsor in there - they have approved, in fact the head of the dept I talked to even said a 289 from an XR would be OK, and joked that I should run a flathead in there!!

I think there is a general belief that XB's were 1974 onward, which is broadly true, but check your manufacturing dates - first XB's came out in November 73, if not earlier.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

In fact, just to add to my last comments and to prove the point, my car is currently registered with a 250 2V motor, which of course only came out in XY's and XA's - not XB's - if ADR's were an issue there's no way the rego boys would have allowed this engine to be registered in this car.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
In fact, just to add to my last comments and to prove the point, my car is currently registered with a 250 2V motor, which of course only came out in XY's and XA's - not XB's - if ADR's were an issue there's no way the rego boys would have allowed this engine to be registered in this car.

I am not sure that they would have checked the 2V 6 cyl, but you are 100% correct on the year info.

ADR 26, Vehicle emmision control, is dated 1/1/72. Basically no emmision control gear is needed but the car needs to pass a sniffer test.

ADR 27, Vehicle emmision control, is dated 1/1/74. This meant the manufacturer could fit, but was not required too, emmisions control gear to pass the sniffer test. If the vehicle had the emmisions gear from factory it must remain fitter.

ADR 27A is dated 1/1/76. This is basically fitment of a charcoal canister and sealed rocker covers with PCV is mandatory.

Have a read http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/per ... etin_3.pdf

Adrian

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yep, cheers on that - gave me a nice warm glow about a month after I purchased my car to see that date...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]