Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: xe esp lookalike blueslip issues
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

Hey guys.

The old man has bought a 1983 model xe esp look a like but we need some clarification on blueslip.

At the moment there are a couple of issues we need advice / help on

1. Clips that hold the headlight globes in are missing. If anyone knows the esp / ghia headlights were slightly wider and had a separate driving light built in. These are rare as all hell and we can't find them anywhere.
Need to know if anyone has any for sale at a reasonable price or can supply the clips. Am I right in assuming the clips from the standard xe headlight will fit.

2. Has been converted to a 302 v8 from a 6cyl. I have been told Ford stopped mass production of the v8 in Nov 82. After that it was only available special order. Does anyone know if this will be passed for blueslip.

3. Exhaust has been dumped just before the diff I would imagine this is too short is this correct.

What we would love is someone (after headlights have been fixed) to pass it as is around the Penrith / blue mountains area.

We will be getting a dual system exhaust for it and it looks great, no rust, no leaks, etc. It's just a couple of things holding it back. Just need to get it regod soon so we can get his cruiser up for sale.

If anyone can help us out with any info or an easy going mechanic for blueslip *wink**wink* please pm or reply.

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Post subject: Re: xe esp lookalike blueslip issues
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

howsie wrote:
Hey guys.

The old man has bought a 1983 model xe esp look a like but we need some clarification on blueslip.

At the moment there are a couple of issues we need advice / help on

1. Clips that hold the headlight globes in are missing. If anyone knows the esp / ghia headlights were slightly wider and had a separate driving light built in. These are rare as all hell and we can't find them anywhere.
Need to know if anyone has any for sale at a reasonable price or can supply the clips. Am I right in assuming the clips from the standard xe headlight will fit.

2. Has been converted to a 302 v8 from a 6cyl. I have been told Ford stopped mass production of the v8 in Nov 82. After that it was only available special order. Does anyone know if this will be passed for blueslip.

Engineers Report Will be required for the conversion. The special order was for Government vehicles only and they were few and far between. Good luck getting a Clevo to pass 27C without it being on straight gas.

3. Exhaust has been dumped just before the diff I would imagine this is too short is this correct.

Yep. The exhaust has to come out at the rear of the vehicle.

What we would love is someone (after headlights have been fixed) to pass it as is around the Penrith / blue mountains area.

Cant see it happening. All the Blue Slip guys around here are pretty strict and to the book nowdays.

We will be getting a dual system exhaust for it and it looks great, no rust, no leaks, etc. It's just a couple of things holding it back. Just need to get it regod soon so we can get his cruiser up for sale.

If anyone can help us out with any info or an easy going mechanic for blueslip *wink**wink* please pm or reply.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

83 still had the same pollution laws as 81 + 82 though so what does 27c cover that didn't come into effect till the xf I thought

Current cars
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

howsie wrote:
83 still had the same pollution laws as 81 + 82 though so what does 27c cover that didn't come into effect till the xf I thought

Incorrect.
83 had the new lot of pollution laws. I apologise 82 was 27A changing to 27B which is what killed off the Clevo.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What exactly changed do you know I've been looking and it seems the 83 with charcoal canister and it's only a 302 should come under.

Apart from straight gas (not an option money wise atm) what can we do / do you recommend to make it complient.

Ie would running a second charcoal canister help

Current cars
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The allowed readings of tailpipe gasses changed.
Second charcoal canister wont do a thing to help you.
The car is not complied for that motor so will need engineering , no ifs buts or maybes.
There is no easy way around it!
Look up the VSCCS list of approved signatories and talk to them.
They will tell you the same...........

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
The allowed readings of tailpipe gasses changed.
Second charcoal canister wont do a thing to help you.
The car is not complied for that motor so will need engineering , no ifs buts or maybes.
There is no easy way around it!
Look up the VSCCS list of approved signatories and talk to them.
They will tell you the same...........

I agree with Matt, as for thinking it is easy to pass emissions with a Clevo think again, going straight LPG and you will still need to have it tuned well.
A mate returned a Clevo to standard, failed at EPA, returned with straight LPG, failed again as it was a to simple OHG gas system, old Impco systems would be the same, and this was on an XD.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

ADR 27 no longer exists it has be deleted and awaiting re-assignment.
No other ADR's apply to that model and the provisions of ADR 27 can no longer be applied because it no longer exists. Guidelines used to say an engine swap to any other engine that was available in that year model was permitted,,,,,,it now says if it was available in that series,,,, Many Blue slip agents and engineers are now interpreting this that you can simply slide a V8 into any XE and the brakes and suspension are all they are concerned about. (no pollution requirements).
Guess the figure that most of these are off the road now.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]