Fordmods Logo

XE or XF crossflow???? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

OK guys needing an opinion or two....I have an XA sedan with a stock, slightly tired 250 pre-xflow running through a 3 speed on the tree all synchro box so I'm looking to change out the engine. This is just the family hackster so not looking for a hottie, just a nice reliable car.

OK, so I've put an ad out there looking for a crossflow to throw in there and I've got two possibilities...

no. 1 is an XE ute a guys wrecking, has a good running 250 carby motor and an auto, wants $150 and will chuck in the auto for free ( tho I'd probably just use the existing 3 on the tree if I was to go this way...)

no.2 is an XF wagon, EFI 250 with 4 speed - whole car is $500. OK, this is going to be a little more powerful and has a 4 speed but where option 1 would be pretty straightforward, I'm a bit worried that option 2 is going to involve a lot more work - wiring mainly, installing the computer, fuel system upgrades such as return line, tank maybe? (unlikely that the tank will just drop into the XA so again, more hassles)

So, remembering that I'm not really looking at a hottie, just a reliable family car, which way do you reckon you'd go? Is the little bit more power of the XF worth the extra work and hassle?

Opinions would be gratefully appreciated...

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
OK guys needing an opinion or two....I have an XA sedan with a stock, slightly tired 250 pre-xflow running through a 3 speed on the tree all synchro box so I'm looking to change out the engine. This is just the family hackster so not looking for a hottie, just a nice reliable car.

OK, so I've put an ad out there looking for a crossflow to throw in there and I've got two possibilities...

no. 1 is an XE ute a guys wrecking, has a good running 250 carby motor and an auto, wants $150 and will chuck in the auto for free ( tho I'd probably just use the existing 3 on the tree if I was to go this way...)

no.2 is an XF wagon, EFI 250 with 4 speed - whole car is $500. OK, this is going to be a little more powerful and has a 4 speed but where option 1 would be pretty straightforward, I'm a bit worried that option 2 is going to involve a lot more work - wiring mainly, installing the computer, fuel system upgrades such as return line, tank maybe? (unlikely that the tank will just drop into the XA so again, more hassles)

So, remembering that I'm not really looking at a hottie, just a reliable family car, which way do you reckon you'd go? Is the little bit more power of the XF worth the extra work and hassle?

Opinions would be gratefully appreciated...


OK....couple things....the XA has an accelerater linkage, not cable ( unless it's already modded to cable).....so an Xflow engine will be harder to set up....the carby is on the opposite side to the Log engine.
Next is the XE engine has a rag rear main seal, and the XF has a one piece rear seal.
You can easily convert the EFI engine to carby.
You could use all XD (alloy head, NOT iron head) intake, dizzy ( swap over dizzy gear) and carby on the XF EFI engine.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
tearlejc wrote:
OK guys needing an opinion or two....I have an XA sedan with a stock, slightly tired 250 pre-xflow running through a 3 speed on the tree all synchro box so I'm looking to change out the engine. This is just the family hackster so not looking for a hottie, just a nice reliable car.

OK, so I've put an ad out there looking for a crossflow to throw in there and I've got two possibilities...

no. 1 is an XE ute a guys wrecking, has a good running 250 carby motor and an auto, wants $150 and will chuck in the auto for free ( tho I'd probably just use the existing 3 on the tree if I was to go this way...)

no.2 is an XF wagon, EFI 250 with 4 speed - whole car is $500. OK, this is going to be a little more powerful and has a 4 speed but where option 1 would be pretty straightforward, I'm a bit worried that option 2 is going to involve a lot more work - wiring mainly, installing the computer, fuel system upgrades such as return line, tank maybe? (unlikely that the tank will just drop into the XA so again, more hassles)

So, remembering that I'm not really looking at a hottie, just a reliable family car, which way do you reckon you'd go? Is the little bit more power of the XF worth the extra work and hassle?

Opinions would be gratefully appreciated...


OK....couple things....the XA has an accelerater linkage, not cable ( unless it's already modded to cable).....so an Xflow engine will be harder to set up....the carby is on the opposite side to the Log engine.
Next is the XE engine has a rag rear main seal, and the XF has a one piece rear seal.
You can easily convert the EFI engine to carby.
You could use all XD (alloy head, NOT iron head) intake, dizzy ( swap over dizzy gear) and carby on the XF EFI engine.


Cheers, thanks for the reply - you're saying about converting the XF engine to carby - would I not be better simply going with the XE since its already carby? Or is what you are saying about the rear seal a big enough consideration that I should avoid the XE motor?

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 863

Joined: 26th Nov 2007

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

Location: Bris-Vegas
QLD, Australia

Buy them both, strip all the EFI off the XF and fit all the carby bits to the XF engine. Use the accel pedal and cable from the XE to convert the XA to cable throttle.

Use the 4 speed from the XF.

Bundle all the leftover x-flow stuff together and flick it on Ebay and recoup some cash.

Enjoy. 8-)

 

_________________

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
Buy them both, strip all the EFI off the XF and fit all the carby bits to the XF engine. Use the accel pedal and cable from the XE to convert the XA to cable throttle.

Use the 4 speed from the XF.

Bundle all the leftover x-flow stuff together and flick it on Ebay and recoup some cash.

Enjoy. 8-)



yeh, good idea - I'm just a bit intrigued why everyone wants to stay right away from the XE motor though - is the rear seal situation that bad?

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 863

Joined: 26th Nov 2007

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

Location: Bris-Vegas
QLD, Australia

The XE should have a rope rear seal, where as the XF should have the one piece rear seal. They both work fine, but when they do need replacing, the XF one is piss easy, the rope seal means you need to drop the crank out - big job. 8-)

 

_________________

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
The XE should have a rope rear seal, where as the XF should have the one piece rear seal. They both work fine, but when they do need replacing, the XF one is piss easy, the rope seal means you need to drop the crank out - big job. 8-)

cheers, thanks for that - yeh did a bit of researching last night on the topic and found a bunch of horror stories of people replacing XE ones and having them leak 300 kays later...

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
sooty72 wrote:
The XE should have a rope rear seal, where as the XF should have the one piece rear seal. They both work fine, but when they do need replacing, the XF one is piss easy, the rope seal means you need to drop the crank out - big job. 8-)

cheers, thanks for that - yeh did a bit of researching last night on the topic and found a bunch of horror stories of people replacing XE ones and having them leak 300 kays later...


Having a rope seal in 300K's ..........must have been done by a rank amateur.... :shock:

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 16

Joined: 3rd Dec 2014

Location: Albany WA
WA, Australia

Just a word of warning if you use the XF's long motor and change it over to carby you will have to run an electric fuel pump as the EFI camshaft doesn't have the mechanical pump lobe on it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Just a thought, I think the XE EFI engines had a full oil seal....they were a different size to the XF ones....IIRC.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names