Fordmods Logo

XE V8 Electronic Dizzy problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: XE V8 Electronic Dizzy problem
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi all just need to know some things about Electronic Dizzy for 351 V8

Is the number 1 position is the same place as the number one on a standard distributor?

Has anyone got a picture of the dizzy and where the number one should be?

The engine cranks, we definitely have fuel and spark but we're not sure if the dizzy is in the correct place.

Our dizzy cap only has number 1 marked on it which faces the front of the car and according to the manual it should be pointing just up from the 90 degree mark point of the left hand side of the motor when looking from the front.

Any help would be great as we're really close to completing the 6 to 8 conversion.

My dream car is one that costs me nothing at all and gets me from point A to B and Back without breaking down.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The rotation of the Clevo dizzy is anticlock-wise, and F.O. is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. You can make No.1 wherever you like as long as all is lined up and timed. Make sure the reluctor isn't poling out, this causes a missfire.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks cjh we worked it out this morning. Found the easiest way was to remove number 1 spark plug, set lead up to locate position of rotor on dizzy on number 1, then crank bit by bit to find compression at the cylinder and spark point on dizzy.

It seems that my neighbor had removed the dizzy at some stage.

I reset the dizzy and hey presto all eight cylinders burst into life with a roar.

Our only problem is the FMX box he picked up which someone suggested might have been from a Bronco which means the yoke is completely @#$ useless.
This particular little problem has really stuffed us around today, he went and picked up another yoke which is completely different to the one he had!
It has external circlips but the tailshaft has internal circlips. Does anyone know the correct part number for the universal joint?

Anyway hopefully tomorrow it'll get completed in the morning in time for the exhaust to be set up from the extractors to tail pipe and then it's just the problem with the vac. lines as the prior owner replaced the lines and we have more vac. points on the motor than required, I think????

My dream car is one that costs me nothing at all and gets me from point A to B and Back without breaking down.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xd fairmont

NSW, Australia

need to be measured to get correct ones

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yep reckon that will need to be the case, so we'll be off to a bearing place to see what we can find early tomorrow morning.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mines always a one off , dont ask me why

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Finally got the universal sorted out this morning.
Never have I had so much hassle with a universal but then having a Bronco yoke to begin with didn't help much.

Started her up and then started to see and smell large amounts of fuel after about 20 seconds, turned out the rebuilt Holley hadn't been tightened up properly so an easy fix. His just got to get the exhaust connected up this arvo and then we can start doing a tune up.

This has been my 1st conversion which is something I've always wanted to have a go at. Now I'd like to learn how to port and polish heads... I've got a XF 6 motor that I can play with and someone's already given me a set of bearing and rings ...

Anyone out there got details or info on porting and polishing?

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dont port just polish id suggest or port match if you can

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EL Grrrr wrote:
Finally got the universal sorted out this morning.
Never have I had so much hassle with a universal but then having a Bronco yoke to begin with didn't help much.

Started her up and then started to see and smell large amounts of fuel after about 20 seconds, turned out the rebuilt Holley hadn't been tightened up properly so an easy fix. His just got to get the exhaust connected up this arvo and then we can start doing a tune up.

This has been my 1st conversion which is something I've always wanted to have a go at. Now I'd like to learn how to port and polish heads... I've got a XF 6 motor that I can play with and someone's already given me a set of bearing and rings ...

Anyone out there got details or info on porting and polishing?

Have you modifided the dizzy to suit the 351C???
What size Holley have you got on it???
That FMX box, is it castiron??? Should have a huge slip yoke. I thought Bronco's had C5 auto's in them. They have a really deep pan on them.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:41 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

The Dizzy is a Scorcher bit uncertain about the setup but believe it may have been curved to suit LPG given that it states 10 degree as compared to 3 +-2 degrees for standard dizzy.
Have tuned it to 10 degrees and it seems pretty good but will fiddle later.

The yoke we put in which fitted like a glove unlike the Bronco yoke, and just as you said cjh the yoke has a huge slip on it. Everything seems pretty good, he noticed his external mirrors not working and then tried the washer bottle ... turned out we'd forgotten a plug and so everything electrical seems good.

Now onto putting the 5 speed into the ZL Fairlane we've got the auto out and noticed the front end needed a rebuild may have it finished by tomorrow night if all goes well, looking forward to driving a manual again...

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EL Grrrr wrote:
The Dizzy is a Scorcher bit uncertain about the setup but believe it may have been curved to suit LPG given that it states 10 degree as compared to 3 +-2 degrees for standard dizzy.
Have tuned it to 10 degrees and it seems pretty good but will fiddle later.

The yoke we put in which fitted like a glove unlike the Bronco yoke, and just as you said cjh the yoke has a huge slip on it. Everything seems pretty good, he noticed his external mirrors not working and then tried the washer bottle ... turned out we'd forgotten a plug and so everything electrical seems good.

Now onto putting the 5 speed into the ZL Fairlane we've got the auto out and noticed the front end needed a rebuild may have it finished by tomorrow night if all goes well, looking forward to driving a manual again...

What I meant by the yoke, is that a C4/C5/C6/C10 yoke will just about fit inside the FMX yoke.....those FMX yokes are huge in diameter, about 2".
The original C4 yokes are really long, about 6 to 7" long.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]