XF Driveline Vibration/Noise 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XF Driveline Vibration/Noise
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I've got an annoying vibration through the driveline in my XF. It seems to happen different amounts at different revs, and doesnt seem to happen as much (if at all) when it's not in gear. Now I've gone through all underneath the car, and checked to make sure every bolt in sight is as tight as can be, engine mounts are tight, gearbox mount seems fine. I changed the engine and transmission over myself, it was fitted with an EFI 4.1 and an Auto, but I put another EFI 4.1 and a T5 5 Speed Manual in it, could I have missed anything when I did it? I am also concerned about just how harsh and noisy the car is, I understand that having a lowered car with a 2.5" exhaust will be harsher than a normal vehicle, but this is beyond belief, it's like driving a big old 1930's Truck, although it goes & handles quite well. I know the exhaust is hitting on the underside of the car near the fuel tank, and that may create the illusion of driveline vibration, but I'm unsure

Cheers, Gab

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

If its doing it when in gear it could be a f**k or poorly fitted clutch or it could be the universal joints on each end of the tailshaft.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

my ef had the exhaust just tapping the diff as i was cruising.
it also had a small rock stuck in the lower link arm, and everytime i'd accelerate, i'd get a clunk.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

your car is almost the same as mine by sounds,, lowered, 2.5" exhaust, t5

to solve the exhaust rattle i made a new mount which mounts hard to the body (yes it vibrates a little at low revs i mean low like 500rpm) but it stops the pipe hitting anything.. as for the ride,, i discovered my bump stops on the front to be destroyed so i removed the entire plate that they are mounted too,, so the top ball joint mount hyas nothing to hit against.. much better... idn if your car sits as low as mine but if it does i would suggest doing this...

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf panelvan

NSW, Australia

Does it vibrate mostly at a given speed?(say60km's or 80km's)

TWIN T03 5L XF PANELVAN- THE ULTIMATE WORKHORSE!!

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Anything touching the body will cause nasty noises even a small screw that is touching something moving (like an exhaust) check underbody and make sure there is NOTHING touching that shouldn't be :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Post subject: Re: XF Driveline Vibration/Noise
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
. I know the exhaust is hitting on the underside of the car near the fuel tank, and that may create the illusion of driveline vibration, but I'm unsure

Cheers, Gab

This is probably your nasty noise :roll: :roll:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
i discovered my bump stops on the front to be destroyed so i removed the entire plate that they are mounted too,, so the top ball joint mount hyas nothing to hit against.. much better... idn if your car sits as low as mine but if it does i would suggest doing this...

-mitch

that isn't a good idea, the bumpstop is there to stop the balljoints recieving excessive flex.
you've now removed this, so the balljoint could go over an inch higher.
my ute almost rides on the bumpstops, and i cut mine in half, which i thought was a bad idea.
i suppose it works, but i reckon balljoints would have to be constantly replaced.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
that isn't a good idea, the bumpstop is there to stop the balljoints recieving excessive flex.
you've now removed this, so the balljoint could go over an inch higher.
my ute almost rides on the bumpstops, and i cut mine in half, which i thought was a bad idea.
i suppose it works, but i reckon balljoints would have to be constantly replaced.

Thats exactly what I thought, will check other ideas tho.

Gab

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yehn i know it wasnt a good idea,, however with the bump styops cut the ball joint was hitting the bolt which holds the bump stop on,, made such a fkn horrible noise that it seemed like the most feasable solution at the time.. its working at the moment.. might rethink next time i do the ball joints.. lol

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

I got exactly the same problem in my xf wagon. I put a new uni joint at the front of the tail shaft and it helped but i still have a little noise. I haven't checked all the bolts but i know most of them are tight. The thing i have fopund which i haven't corrected is the exhaust hitting the diff. I think this is the problem.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

removing the front bump stops is bad, removing the panels they mount to is worse

with the bump stops removed, when the top ball joint hits the mounting panel, there is about 1/2" between the top of the lower control arm and the frame at maximum compression, and if the panel is removed, there's nothing from the front suspension compressing to the point where the lower control arm hits the frame, and is bent or snapped by the force, and this can lead to a serious or even fatal accident

Banned

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hehe.........problem solved guys.........it was the strangest thing and no one thought of it.........the vibration was so bad that I overlooked the problem, thought it was something far more serious. The engine was running on 5 cylinders !!!! it's amazing how much vibration can be caused by a really rough running engine. Now that I have found the problem (1 injector had come unplugged) I think I can say that I am an idiot. Removing the bumpstops was never on the agenda eithier, as I know what damage that can cause. Thanks for the help guys.

Gab

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

oh cmon.. it doesnt hit the frame... the shocks bottom out before that.. bend the lower arms?? how hard do u hit speed bumps?????

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Mini

NSW, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
oh cmon.. it doesnt hit the frame... the shocks bottom out before that.. bend the lower arms?? how hard do u hit speed bumps?????

Spped bumps slow, but what about a bad pothole you didn't see on a highway @ 110km/h, tthat can't be good :shock:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next