Fordmods Logo

XF Falcon Questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XF Falcon Questions
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 4.1 EFI XF Falcon S

VIC, Australia

Hey all, got a few questions about the specs and whatnot of my car. 4.1 EFI XF Falcon S. I've heard that Mitsubishi Magna injectors ( Bosch blue point) can provide quite a good power boost to a Ford 6 can anyone confirm this? Thinking of removing the crank driven fan, worth it or not? Lastly, acquiured another head to play with, maybe shave it a bit but its off a 4.1 carbie motor, will this matter? Whilst im here, anyone know of any other good ways of getting some power out of the old girl?

Post subject: Re: XF Falcon Questions
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

if you havent all ready changed your extractors then do that first and pulling the crnk fan and replacin with eseries thermos will free up a little hp. dunno bout the magna injectors but if you change them then you have to change the amount of air going in as well cos the computer wil have bad air fuel ratio

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Hey man. I used to own a manual EFI XF.

I took the engine fan off mine and fitted thermos, it is more often an advantage but unsure of power gains etc, it dose free up the engine though.
I can't remember exactly what I did or used, I'm pretty sure it was a random fan I got off a mate and some home done wiring.

The magna injectors do bolt on to the XF, and give it about a 10% boost in fuel, however these alone as mentioned will not do much except for overfuel the car, you'd notice a small improvment with a cold night at high revs. But low down makes it too boggy. That's from my experience on my 3.9 EA motor, on the other side of that coin though I had a young bloke come through repco with an old set of XF injectors asking for am exchange for some magna ones, and was sayin his dad (who was a local mechanic) said they did quite well.
As an extra note for you there too VS commodore (ecotec) injectors are the same body as well but have a better spray pattern on the pintle, 4 little holes instead of 1 big one.

That said, if you can get hold of a set of each of the magna and commy ones, some new O rings, and a tiny bit of Vaseline (to lube said O rings when installing with a tiny smear), doing some backyard testing is the easy way. Learn how to swap the injectors easily or even get a couple of spare rails an fit the other injectors to them for a quicker swap (that's what I did with mine) and give them each a try.

With some good mods to the block and head etc (if staying N/A) or a nice turbo kit, these would be a good cheap option for more fuel.
A bloke at the dyno day I was at had a backyard job turbo done on his EB 6, and he used magna injectors.

With the head. I feel pretty sure to say it's different. It won't have the injector ports in the intake ports for a start, not too sure what else though.

For other mods, depending on how far you want to go.

Mandrel bent 3 inch pipe for the intake (the big useless "S" lol)
maybe some ducting into the airbox for more flow
extractors and exhaust.
Maybe upgrade the coil, leads an plugs.
Port matching all the intake pipes, the top plenum to the intake tubes and them to the head.

If you want to get more
a cam
computer system
pistons and rods
maybe roller rockers

250s are pretty much bulletproof. And you can get decent power from a stock bottom end too.

I'd better stop before it's an essay lol, but if you wanna know more just ask.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

If the blue points add too much extra fuel does this mean theres a way to clean up the air system to compensate? Oh and i got hold of a spare air intake setup eg throttle body, tps, and the funny looking thing on top of the motor that runs all those pipes to the engine + pipes. Can anything be done to this?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Really, there's no way to get that much extra air into the engine other than turbo or a charger.

Like I said, best thing is to do some tests and trials, you'll work it out. It may be that XF computer can make them work better (the injectors) but upgrading your exhaust, intake and ignition (spark) you may get some gains.

The funny thing with the pipes to the engine is the intake plenum. You can match the holes for the pipes at both ends.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

If a 3.9 floods, then maybe that little extra of the XF's 4.1 might be okay? I have a spare intake setup to play around with so ill see what i can do. And the Magna injectors are free so if it doesnt work, no loss.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Hmm, I donno I'd say the difference is too small, only 200 ml.

That's the best part of all the playing around. Free parts. As you say, no gain, no loss.

Keep the injectors though. You never know...

Also in the garage....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]