XF needing engine, any suggestions 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeah i meant supercharger kit, that was a typo, but either way, a turbo would get you goin quicker.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

its got a carby and its manual
wat sort of internal stuff is there out there?

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

how much power do you want?

Banned

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Seriously for the money hes planning to spend there is no point in enigne swapping. I mean you got to get all the emmisons right and it has to be certified and if it doesnt pass then he gets pulled over by the coppas. Then they see that its got a foreign engine in it, no engineers certificate then its bye bye first car. :?

I personally would just put some work into the carby six :P As its been said Exhaust, extractors, Cam, Holly, Upgrade all the ignition system, and mabe try to add CAI somehow (cold air induction).

You will get good power gains just from doing what is sated above :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FE LTD Wagon

VIC, Australia

Your 16 and I dare say either no or little experiance at operating a motor vehicle so therefore I would recomend repair whatever is wrong with your car and spend the rest of the money on driver education,
In a few yers time you will end up getting a more powerful car and atleast thisway you will live long enough to enjoy it

XE mockup FE LTD Wagan 5.8
AU I Forte Wagon
Dodge D5N Twincab (project)

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 351 Ute

QLD, Australia

dude i'm almost 18 and ive been driving since i was 10, he might have a bit of experience

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yakymoto wrote:
dude i'm almost 18 and ive been driving since i was 10, he might have a bit of experience

I did my advanced driver training course in shepparton Vic. with your outburst I am assuming you have also done one just wondering where?

AU I Forte Wagon

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

in my back yard in a mazda capella 1600

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Im not trying to argue the point but as a general rule at 16 there is usually very little driving experiance.
Now we all know that no experiance and powerful cars are a bad combination .
And I also expect that driving an old Mazda in a back yard is a little bit different to putting an F series ambo under full acceleration that is going sideways back into control.

And yes when I was 18 I thought I knew it all too..........

AU I Forte Wagon

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

you'd be surprised what you learn in a back yard, you go flat out constantly, and you do realise what a cars limits are, even if it's on dirt.
at least you can spin out without worrying that you'll hit someone else.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
you'd be surprised what you learn in a back yard, you go flat out constantly, and you do realise what a cars limits are, even if it's on dirt.
at least you can spin out without worrying that you'll hit someone else.

my point exactly

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XF 4.1 EFi

NSW, Australia

Back to the point...

I'm running a 85' XF EFi X-Flow Leaded, she goes. and i've spent nothing much at all on her. Pod+custom intake <$150, what where ford thinking... "Now a good place to put the air box is on top of the extake manifold, and we can get cold air from behind the head light, and use a 1" pipe to get it to the air box" great work guys. Other then that a T5 $250, exhurst all the way, ie extractors(they are cheap for XF's, 20 bucks!), rest of the way 2 1/2" that was only $280. High fow lifters, $50. and a few other free mods, or removals if you like, :wink: . So thats only $750, and she goes heaps better.

For $4K you'd get a new motor in there for sure. you just have to do it on the dodgy side. I've seen a XE 351, which wouldn't have cost anything to put in. It's the, 2nd hand turbo + upside down exhrust manifold + scrap big tube + MIG welder = Cheap + fast car, idea.

So that V8 you've got sitting in the shed runs, will go in, just like they go into XE's, all you need is the V8 engine mounts out of an xe, and a bit more XE stuff, and it's all kewl. Though i'm not sure about the laws down in VIC.

But with any car you can loose it, so why try and kill yourself in a datto when you could try in a falcon.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Jim wrote:
Back to the point...

I'm running a 85' XF EFi X-Flow Leaded, she goes. and i've spent nothing much at all on her. Pod+custom intake <$150, what where ford thinking... "Now a good place to put the air box is on top of the extake manifold, and we can get cold air from behind the head light, and use a 1" pipe to get it to the air box" great work guys. Other then that a T5 $250, exhurst all the way, ie extractors(they are cheap for XF's, 20 bucks!), rest of the way 2 1/2" that was only $280. High fow lifters, $50. and a few other free mods, or removals if you like, :wink: . So thats only $750, and she goes heaps better.

For $4K you'd get a new motor in there for sure. you just have to do it on the dodgy side. I've seen a XE 351, which wouldn't have cost anything to put in. It's the, 2nd hand turbo + upside down exhrust manifold + scrap big tube + MIG welder = Cheap + fast car, idea.

So that V8 you've got sitting in the shed runs, will go in, just like they go into XE's, all you need is the V8 engine mounts out of an xe, and a bit more XE stuff, and it's all kewl. Though i'm not sure about the laws down in VIC.

But with any car you can loose it, so why try and kill yourself in a datto when you could try in a falcon.

High flow lifters? Where do ya get them mate?

And the V8 engine swap. If only it was that easy. A clevo drop into an XF is much harer than you think. If it was a simple drop in then every second XF would have a clevo under the bonnet.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

That and the fact if he got pulled over by the piggas he would get defected without a problem as XF's never came out with a v8 and unless you have a engineers certificate its never going to work. :x

He's 16 thats the last thing he needs is to loose his first car :wink:

I would just spend the 3-4K doing up the six, it will have massive potensial with that much $$$$ put into it. :)

I didnt have major mods done to my XF and it went like a rocket. Custom Exhaust, custom intake, Hi-flow filters, decent leads, plugs and dizzy. For about 9months it went like a dream :roll: Until i blew the gear box doing burnouts :roll:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XF 4.1 EFi

NSW, Australia

Yeah, i've never really looked into the clevo swap over much my self, the new sixes suited me better. But i've heard it isn't so much of a big deal, like you can't change the plugs, and the engine mounts need a bit of fooling, but thats about it. I dunno, as i've said i've never looked into it. But i have seen it done, and it doesn't look that hard. Thats the only thing the cops would pick on him. but they pick on ppl with too loud exhurst, bald tyres, and such like. I'm not sure what its like down there, but i got a blue slip with a missing EGR valve, not that we knew it was missing then.

But yeah, i agree with that much money he'd have a quick X-flow. Though they don't like reving, but i have heard of people kitting them out and then they take them to 7. But yeah it's all up to the dude.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next