Fordmods Logo

Xh ute running problems 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Xh ute running problems
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford xh ute

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, i've dropped a new engine in my ute 2 months ago n ever since i haven't been able to get it to run right. I've replaced basically everything to work it out but still cant knock it on the head. At rpm range 1700-2500 it jerks n coughs n carries on, if i flatten the throttle it will either run while i have my foot down or it will run on 5 cylinders n backfire once or twice. I've had the timing set several times and the new parts i have installed include plugs, leads, dizzy, map sensor, vacuum lines, fuel filter, inlet and exhaust manifold, head gasket, exhaust, im sure theres others but cant think of abything else at the moment. Any help would be great thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Xh ute running problems
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Just go back to the basics mate. Firstly, check the timing mark is correct - the harmonic balancer may have slipped - to make sure TDC is where you think it is. Then check the cam timing is correct, and work through from there. Check the firing order too - sillier things have happened, so don't feel bad. If all that is correct, make sure the timing has been set the correct way - if you don't know, get a Gregory's book for it.
Good luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yer everything is set correctly and everything has been checked 20,000 times haha. Has there ever been any electrical dramas with the xh utes that could cause it??

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

What Dizzy do you have ? Is it a Bosch or a Chinese one ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

What do you mean by a new engine, a reco or second hand. I just retired an xh 550.oooklm and still going strong. If you have a good mechanical understanding and know how to use a digital multimeter with duty cycle and frequency, and know how to do voltage drop tests the problem will be easy to find. first thing, will it idle smoothly on its own and can you connect a timing light and check that the timing mark is steady and not jumping all over the place. What test equipment do you have to help you solve this problem.

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Its a bosch dizzy. I've heard to much trouble with the chinese ones so i steered clear of them. Besides i hate chinese parts!!

It idles fine on its own but the timing mark on the harmonic balancer does move around a little bit. I have a timing light and multi meter at home to test it out if you have any ideas rod

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ok so just an update on whats happening. The ute ran perfectly at lunch time today for reasons i cant explain :/ She just decided to behave for once i suppose. Got back in her at knock off time and she was right back to playing up again. I took the injectors out when i got home and i'm getting them cleaned out tomorrow at a local shop. Hopefuly that will give me some much needed answers! (Fingers crossed)

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

If the problem is still there after cleaning the injectors you need to check fuel pressure and flow, and you won't have the gear to do it. The easiest thing for you to do is to get a barbecue bottle, a couple of meters of heater hose and connect it to the bottle with a bit of tape. Start the engine and bring the revs up till it misses, turn the gas on with a small amount going into the air scoop, if the engine revs suddenly increase you know you are chasing a fuel problem. If there is no change start doing some voltage drop tests, if you don't know how to do it look around and make sure you have no loose grounds or supplies any where. If your multimeter has frequency on it check pin 45 on the ecm and with the engine running it should be around 100 htz. PIN 46 signal ground zero volts. There are numerous more checks but start there.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Sorry, i should have mentioned that it only misses under load. While sitting in one spot i can floor it n it will rev fine. Pin 45, isn't that the map sensor pin? If so i should mention that i put a new map sensor in it last week

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Missing only under load is a significant thing. Electrical is what it sounds like, what brand and type of plug have you got ? And what Gap are they set to ? 1 plug with a big gap can do what is happening.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have NGK plugs. BPR5EY-11 with a 1.1 mm gap. Its what they recommend for the xh utes. I'm tempted to run BPR6EY-11 for a hotter spark. The plugs are brand new and so are the leads, the dizzy, roter button and cap

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Missing under load usually means a spark breakdown.
The only other thing you've not mentioned anything about is the coil.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Oh sorry. Yer i replaced and relocated the coil to the inner guard to make it easier to replace if need be

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ok so the miss fire is gone but it still chugs n jerks the ute while holding speed. Any clues?

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hello,

What fixed the miss ? The problem you have now sounds like Fuel. Start with the filter, then check the pump and pressure reg. Have a good look under the bonnet in case a line has been kinked.

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next