ZA/ZB fairlane rebuild 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: ZA/ZB fairlane rebuild
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

im working on getting a ZA/ZB fairlane as a project car.

Its a 302 but i want to make it a 351. I just have to change the stroke and it will be 351 right?

also what trans do they run. Im thinking about 'getting the converter cut' so it works like a hi-stall. Does this sound right.

What can i do to trick a auto up in these?

Im also thinking of a 9" diff and would like to put disc brake rears on. Is this easy?

I am thinking of things like twin thermo to go in to cool the motor because it will be slightly worked.

I hear that chrome rocker covers hold in heat. Is this correct?

I want to put things like electronic fuel pump and i will be replacing all the fuel lines anyway because i dont trust the old ones. Is this a reasonable idea?

Any information on working these old bests would be good. Hopefully i can have it perfect for the 2008 all ford day at adelaide because i dont think it would be ready for the 2007 one.

Cheers guys

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Post subject: Re: ZA/ZB fairlane rebuild
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

stomper wrote:
Its a 302 but i want to make it a 351. I just have to change the stroke and it will be 351 right?

If it's a cleveland yes (crank and rods), not so with a windsor which a Fairlane of this age might have. These have different blocks.
stomper wrote:
Im also thinking of a 9" diff and would like to put disc brake rears on. Is this easy?

You will need a new hand brake cable and a new proportioning valve but it's easy. The most common mod for old Fords.
stomper wrote:
I hear that chrome rocker covers hold in heat. Is this correct?

That sounds like the biggest load of bollocks your ever likely to hear. Rocker covers do not provide any (or close enough too) cooling.
stomper wrote:
I want to put things like electronic fuel pump and i will be replacing all the fuel lines anyway because i dont trust the old ones. Is this a reasonable idea?

An ELECTRIC (there is nothing ELECTRONIC about them) pump is not a bad idea, but not really needed unless you want to develop considerable HP. The way I see it, in a streeter, it's just adding another failure mode. I mean your gonna have extra wiring, relays, fuses. The more stuff you have, the more likely it is to fail. If you plan to add EFI then an electric pump is a must, but not a Holley blue or other low pressure pump.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

as far as the chrome rocker cover goes i have been told that they hold their heat a lot more than normal rocker covers in that say after u take the car for a run then turn it off they will stay hotter for longer

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]