Absolute newbie guides? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Absolute newbie guides?
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EBI Gl :(

QLD, Australia

Hey all!

Being an absolute newbie with very little cash, an EB I that the previous owners never looked after and a can-do attitude I've found there's a lot of stuff I'd like to know but can't find. Embarrassing stuff that most newbs like me are too ashamed to ask for :)

So I've found this awesome forum (btw - nice work!) and figured I'd put up a 'wish list'. There are a lot of basic maintenance jobs I'd like to do myself - nothing to do with my mechanic telling me about the next big holiday he's planning, of course - and I figure they're all fairly standard jobs that most people should be able to do themselves, if only the info were available.

For my part, I'm happy to follow instructions, provide heaps of photos, and help edit the results so that they're newbie friendly.

The list of things I'm thinking I'd like to have a crack includes but is not limited to -
- adjusting timing (got a vague idea, but really need to know specifics)
- changing trans fluid
- checking ujoint and diff and the lubrication for each
- maybe brakes

There are other things too, like an oil change that I can already do (if its any indication of how new I am, I'm still kinda proud of myself for being able to do that!) that might warrant guides... maybe I'll do up an oil change howto and contribute that next time its due :)

TIA!

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

hah...dont feel too bad, my modification expertise at this point includes...

* changing starter motors
* changing coils
* installing stereo head units
* oil change
* changing flat tyres

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I'm actually giving serious thought to making up a website dedicated to beginners how-tos. Not the fancy jedi master stuff that goes on here, just the basics - like "what's that bit called, and what's it do?" or "how do I work these cup holders?". I have managed to learn some basics myself but its taken a lot of reading and a lot of brainache - might be nice to make it easier for other newbs out there :)

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:04 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well for starters, get yourself a workshop manual.
A gregories, ellerys etc.
They can help alot.
A basic doco with little servicey things like that probably isn't a bad idea.
Manuals have small black and white photos generally, and can be cryptic, to say the least.
A well written doco with hi res colour photos would make it a bit easier.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

^ what he said...

Gregory's are a great place for a n00b to start. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Good point :) I remember being a lad and doing minor work from time to time on Mum's trusty mitsi van using nothing but a gregory's and brute force :)

Might see if my CFO will let me go out and buy one, and get started then! In the meantime, if somebody wants to put some step-by-step text for engine timing I'll buy a timing light and take some photos to suit...

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

^ it's just like any other car with a distributor EXCEPT you need to take the ECU out of the equation.

This is done by placing the ECU into diagnostic mode (see exisitng tech documents for how-to) with key on-engine on technique.

There will be a point where the ECU raises the RPM - at this point, you should be able to get a steady timing reading (timing light on lead #1). As this is when the ECU locks the timing advance.

You'll notice that trying to read timing advance without doing this to the ECU will result in dynamic timing - i.e. the timing will be all over the place.

Have a play around with it, you cant really damage anything taking a timing advance reading.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Sweet - I'll get cracking on that this weekend :)

End of the day I guess I just want to fix the idle and eliminate the misfires - I reckon though I'll end up doing something to every bit of the car before I find out where its coming from!

If the CFO allows it, I'll swap out plugs (was running very rich until recently, they'll be shagged) and O2 sensor (I reckon its still got the one they put in at the factory!) as part of the job and take pictures the whole way through.. -REALLY- basic stuff but you gotta start somewhere I guess!

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

this is on my list of things to do, doin a bit to my car at ill take photos and doucment the basics caus it needs a serivce :P

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:25 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
^ what he said...

youngins these days prefer to surf the net and find a cheap alternative then spending 20 - 30 bux on a manual that probably won't tell them much since they might not know anything about mechanical side of things. I have a manual but im still scared to take the rocker cover off :S....im a wuss and have bad auroa around me and if i touch anything i dont understand it just blows up in my face......booo

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
^ what he said...

youngins these days prefer to surf the net and find a cheap alternative then spending 20 - 30 bux on a manual that probably won't tell them much since they might not know anything about mechanical side of things. I have a manual but im still scared to take the rocker cover off :S....im a wuss and have bad auroa around me and if i touch anything i dont understand it just blows up in my face......booo

phong =P~

I have that exact same problem. Thats why if i need anything major done i take it to my mechanic, and if he stuff it up, its on his back. Where if i stuffed it up i wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:37 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

kraddy wrote:
phongus wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
^ what he said...

phong =P~

I have that exact same problem. Thats why if i need anything major done i take it to my mechanic, and if he stuff it up, its on his back. Where if i stuffed it up i wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

but u can always attempt it at home ;) and if u fail tow it to the mechanic since its going to get fixed anyway..... =D

btw make sure u have a ramp so u can tow ur car for free if its got anything to do with the engine dying on u.....if not be prepared to pay for a tow truck.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

You'll be amazed at the stuff here on the forums.
If you dig deep enough you'll always find the answer to any question right here.

Don't forget to buy yourself a hammer!
A BIG hammer can fix almost anything - Wife, car, Kids, Tele, etc.
(just be careful smackin the tyres on the car... the hammer comes back)

Check out the site
http://fordstyle.50megs.com/index.html

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

more people should use that big very unsecret noob guide we have here - top right of every page

the SEARCH button

any question you have, chances are it has been asked before!

Like 4.9 EF Futura said - we don't need to reinvent the wheel!!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

Gregorys will Inform you on most mechanical parts in a EA-ED. And is very very simple to understand and read, if You feel like you have the gregorys manual coverd You may want to try and track down an original Workshop manual for EA-ED (these things are freakin FAT and HUGE) :shock: they will advice you on basicly everything you need to know but are a little bit more advanced the simple Gregorys manual

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next