Au VCT Phasor Assembly 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Au VCT Phasor Assembly
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford 2002 ghia

QLD, Australia

G'day guys,

I just had one of those days where you go and shoot yourself in the foot by doing something your not suppose to (like taking apart the VCT sprocket on an AU). After reading TimmyA info and seeing his pictures i eventually got the f#$%ing thing back together. Now as he did not actually say how he got it back together i thought i would mention it here in case someone else has the same drama. You will notice a line on the cam side of the sprocket i used this as the alignment (it is the only line on the cam side, if you see a dot as well its the wrong side). So the idea is to get the dowel to line up with that mark (photo is in TimmyA build thread).

First step is to fit the inner cam gear (or inner sleeve i called it that due to it being the part that bolts to the cam) to the ring gear( has gear teeth inside for the cam gear and outside for the VCT case). Now at this stage with the spring holding the two gears together. Only one side will have aligned teeth, either the inside or outside. We want the inside to align as we want to first fit the inner sleeve. To do this you just twist the top gear either clockwise or anticlockwise. once aligned slip the inner cam gear all the way into the ring gear.

Now with the two together you need to work out the alignment use the sprocket mark and bolt holes to make sure when it fits together that it will line up.

Ok now the fun part i recommend a friend helps. Install the smaller spring into the VCT case ensuring the smaller end is located. Now insert the ring gear and cam gear together making sure to align them correctly and have your helper apply pressure on the cam gear to compress the spring and slide them into the VCT housing as far as it will go. be careful not to catch the seals.

Now to get this all the way in you will need to apply pressure to the ring gear to expand the springs holding the gears together. I did this by putting the big spring in its locating groove on the ring gear and then using a ring spanner the same diameter as the spring and push the spring into the housing putting as much pressure as i could whilst my helper was still holding down the cam gear i then rotated the spanner both ways until it clicked and went all the way home. I think it was clockwise in the end?

Keep pressure on the cam gear as a safety precaution. Now slide the sprocket down to the VCT housing and compress the large spring. ensuring the cam side mark is aligned with the cam gear dowel. Have your helper stop applying pressure as you hold the sprocket and case together hold it up so they can install the 4 bolts loosely. Now you can triple check that the dowel and mark are aligned before doing the 4 bolts up tight.

Hope it makes sense... feel free to correct me if I am doing it wrong but it worked for me. Hope this helps someone else as there is not to much info about it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]