Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual pedal box conversion (NEW DESIGN) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Auto to Manual pedal box conversion (NEW DESIGN)
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

This document explains how to modify an auto pedal box into a manual pedal box. Note that I am referring to an EF-EL pedal box, but the same can be done to EA-EB-ED pedal boxes. Due to the old umbrella style hand break in EA-EB-ED models these will not suit EF-EL models without modification. So it is necessary when sourcing parts for this mod that take note of this.

Parts and equipment required.
Auto pedal box
Extra brake pedal pin from same style pedal box
A manual brake pedal rubber cover
A clutch pedal with plastic bushes (may be used from any E-series pedal box)
5mm roll pin and 5 washes to suit smaller diameter on spare brake pedal pin
Angle grinder
Welder and associated safety equipment
Oxy acetalyn set
Die grinder with carbide burr
Steel rule

Cutting down brake pedal.
As auto brake pedals are wider than manual ones the auto one will need to shortened. Put your manual brake pedal rubber cover on the pedal on the right hand side as if you where looking at it from in the car. Mark a line where the pedal starts to pet rude the cover on the left hand side of the pedal. Now cut down the line you have marked with an angle grinder and grind any burrs from your cut. Also be sure to grind a radius on both corners of your cut, this will stop your rubber cover from being destroyed but the edge of the metal it surrounds.

Bending spare brake pedal pin.
The way Ford put there clutch pedal pins onto their pedal boxes was a short pin welded on the side of the pedal box. There is a hole it goes through from the inside of the pedal box, and the pin has a hat on the end that rests on the edge of this hole. As a result the pins would over time break away from the weld and leave you stranded. The idea behind bending the spare brake pedal pin is as it is longer than the original clutch pedal pin, with the bend it can be welded in 2 places rather than one and significantly adding strength and guaranteeing you to have a trouble free pedal box.

Mark a line 60mm down the shaft.

Set the pin in a vice with the line you have marked level with the jaws. Add some heat and bend whilst the pin is glowing red using a large shifter.

Before you can weld the new clutch pedal pin in position you will need to notch out part of the pin to clear the brake pedal pin.

This is done with a carbide burr on a die grinder and by placing the new pin through the hole (the hole for the clutch pedal pin is there on auto pedal boxes) lining it up and marking the shaft where the shaft will interfere with the brake pedal pin, setting it up on a vice and burring it out. You may end up trial fitting the pin and taking it back to burr it out further.

Once it fits well with the original pin it’s time to weld it up.

You are now ready to install you clutch pedal. Remember to use the plastic bushes on the shaft. A few neat fitting washers go on before the pedal and 1 after it goes on. You will now need to drill a hole for the roll pin which will hold your clutch pedal on.

Make sure mark your hole for the roll pin in the right place, you don’t want any sideways movement.

And there you have it.

The reason why I modded a auto pedal box rather than buying a manual one is that it can be hard to find a manual one that has not already been repaired due to a faulty design by Ford.

Thanks for reading

XR-Lane

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual pedal box conversion (NEW DESIGN)
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That's pretty nifty...I might actually attempt this with my spare auto pedal box...I have a feeling my manual one might have a cry soon...and another reason to use the welder...:D

Cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

phongus wrote:
That's pretty nifty...I might actually attempt this with my spare auto pedal box...I have a feeling my manual one might have a cry soon...and another reason to use the welder...:D

Cheers

phong =P~

As long as you dont mind removing the dash to install it.

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I like the originality - I welded the clutch pin to the brake pedal pin, as per my doco documents.php?d=92 . I think these kind of designs make it almost bulletproof.
I never would've thought about a variation like you've done.
If you have access to the tools IMO modding an auto pedalbox is the way to go - obviously you need to pull the dash, but you do other common mods at the same time, e,g, climate control, etc.
Be good to see this published in the doco's as an alternate design.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

snap0964 wrote:
I like the originality - I welded the clutch pin to the brake pedal pin, as per my doco documents.php?d=92 . I think these kind of designs make it almost bulletproof.
If you have access to the tools IMO modding an auto pedalbox is the way to go - obviously you need to pull the dash, but you do other common mods at the same time, e,g, climate control, etc.

Yeah thanks Snap, I read your doco a few years back when I was a sleeper on Fordmods but I never got aarround to the conversion.

To be honest I got the idea from you, I just had another idea based on it.

I sent it in to be looked at being added to the tech docs section, I think its good to have a few ways published in there so people have a few ideas to go on.

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
snap0964 wrote:

Yeah thanks Snap, I read your doco a few years back when I was a sleeper on Fordmods but I never got aarround to the conversion.

To be honest I got the idea from you, I just had another idea based on it.

I sent it in to be looked at being added to the tech docs section, I think its good to have a few ways published in there so people have a few ideas to go on.

Cheers

Josh

The more ideas come together, the more s**t items become better ;).

Regards to dash removal...have to do it anyway, kind of bodged the job putting it back in when I pulled it out to swap the pedal box over the first time round. Now have annoying rattles which shouldn't be there.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

LOL, I know what you mean there. My dash is still half together from installing my pedal box. It will be put back as soon as I finnish my conversion this easter.

Josh wrote:
I'm Tired

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok thats a great writeup, and looks to be very solid, well done

secondly, what the f**k are you & fiend doing to your posts, and why? Doesnt make any sense, and youve got "im tired" in a separate section in your coloured post :?

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

ok thats a great writeup, and looks to be very solid, well done

secondly, what the f**k are you & fiend doing to your posts, and why? Doesnt make any sense, and youve got "im tired" in a separate section in your coloured post

FordFairmont wrote:
:?

Thanks Mate, It better be solid 8-).

As for the post's Fiend did it first I just worked out how he done it, its basically typing the message where you would type a name in a quote. And Its a shade of blue...... Bring back the blue :lol:

Cheers

Josh wrote:

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
As for the post's Fiend did it first I just worked out how he done it, its basically typing the message where you would type a name in a quote. And Its a shade of blue...... Bring back the blue :lol:

Cheers

Josh"].

:arrow: And it's bloody annoying

Get over the blue - it's gone!!!
God would hate to see you 2 guys after a break up with a chick :shock:

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

i don't want to rain on ya parade as such but why did you only half weld the pin onto the pedal box, wouldn't have be better to put a nice continous weld around both ends of the pin?

or couldn't you weld the other side as the postion as it may have been awkward etc

other then that good stuff...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Froudey wrote:
i don't want to rain on ya parade as such but why did you only half weld the pin onto the pedal box, wouldn't have be better to put a nice continous weld around both ends of the pin?

or couldn't you weld the other side as the postion as it may have been awkward etc

Don't worry Froudey, there is no parade to rain on, I used a TIG welder to weld it in. And its a 3 run 2 layer fillet weld, its not going anywhere. They say an inch of weld will hold a tone, I seen no need to go over the top as the TIG torch was not going to reach around there. Not to mention, Its a pedal box :roll: . no one is ever going to see it once its installed

But this would not stop yourself, if interested in doing this mod from fully welding around the pin :) .

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Froudey wrote:

Don't worry Froudey, there is no parade to rain on, I used a TIG welder to weld it in. And its a 3 run 2 layer fillet weld, its not going anywhere. They say an inch of weld will hold a tone, I seen no need to go over the top as the TIG torch was not going to reach around there. Not to mention, Its a pedal box :roll: . no one is ever going to see it once its installed

But this would not stop yourself, if interested in doing this mod from fully welding around the pin :) .

Cheers

Josh

yeah sounds like it shouldn't be tempted to move, i had a feeling that the postition would of been the pain. but yeah it is a pedal box but for the life of me i don't know who could of designed such a flawed item straight out of the ford factory.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Some idiot, Ford should fire him, if he hasn't retired already.

Josh

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Ford love him. They have constant supply of stressed people buying parts...

Really tho, the manual pedal box is total s**t from factory alright. Even with the dealerships approved fixes they're still crap huh?

This is nuclear proof, this design, for sure. If you don't want to pull your dash and pedal box out, go have a look at my build thread on page 10 or something. Crikey Joshie - what happened to all those people wanting firewall strengtheners? We missed the boat or something? Could have made a bit of a killing there!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next