Fordmods Logo

BA, no heater, and its getting cold. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA, no heater, and its getting cold.
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

Just noticed tonight, that even on a long trip my heater still wont blow hot air, nothing but outside temp air and aircon, it has usually worked great but now all of a sudden it s**t itself. Only has 105,000 kms on it so i dont think it should be too serious? heater core... blend doors? any ideas guys....

thanks luke

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Post subject: Re: BA, no heater, and its getting cold.
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

heater tap

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

is that a common prob? where is that located? i dont usually know much about this kinda part of things

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

I reckon it may more be the mixer shaft. if it is its a dash out job.n

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Common problem in the B series...

One of two things... The Hym Module... Which is a dash out to replace... It lives behind the glove box and it has all the motors in it which change your vents and your hot to cold, maybe if you remove the glove box , you can see it try changing from hot to cold and you maybe be able to see the shaft turning (been a while since I've had to look at one)... If its turning then the HYM is fine... You do hope its the mixer shaft though... Last I heard the HYM is worth upwards of $700, and there is now a revised model because they had so many problems with the originals... To change one of these its needs to be programmed to the car... You need to get a "read" done before you swap it and "write" down once its been swapped out...

If the HYM is good This means your mixer shaft is broken... These are a white plastic shaft and about two thirds of it has a re-enforcer bar down the inside of it and I'm pretty sure they shear right where the bar ends... Again the dash needs to come out to change it and you can just dismantle the heater box enough to change it with the the heater box still in the car... Half day job if you know what your doing...

Goodluck,
Timmy

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

thanks for that mate, damnnnn sounds like an expensive fix for some hot air.... if it is the hym.... thanks for all that info mate, i spose ill take it to an auto eleccy and they would do that kind of thing?

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:56 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I doubt it... You'll need the Ford Patented Test Gear if it is the Hym... Only Ford has that...

Best taking it to them and getting it tested to see where the HYM throws a code or not... and then its up to you whether you wanna pull the dash out yourself to fix it or pay Ford... Ask how many hours it'll cost you for before you book it in though... Ford would've fixed heaps so they should be able to say yeah look it'll be x amount of hours... Like I said it took me and my old man probably 5 or 6... two qualified blokes though might be less time... Then you'll get an idea... Shoot George (papa murf) a message in his thread and ask for prices on both items, the mixer shaft and the HYM so you know what to expect...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

damnnn, taking it to ford they would charge like $60 an hour at least to do manual labour! and i might have to since the gear is stuff only ford have.... that does kinda suck... i will maybe give him a pm and see the prices. Ill definately want ford to tell me the price before it goes in, its great because there is a ford dealer accross the road from my work :)

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah see how you go...

Trouble is if you take it to an auto eleccy and they need to test the system... They take it to Ford so you pay whatever Ford charges them plus their time and a profit margin... Honnestly best getting it at least tested yourself... I know manual labour rates here around around $80 + GST is 90% of manual labour type jobs around here... I used to fix computers and they were charged out at $80 an hour and I think Ford is similar...

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

tested myself, so you mean take it to ford?

cheers

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you can see/feel whether the HYM is working or not then depending how flash your auto eleccy is (ours here don't have test equipment etc)... He may know what he is looking for (either HYM or mixer shaft) and no where to look/feel to check the HYM operation... if that is the case he is fine... But if all he is gonna do is take it to Ford (like ours here would) then your best off taking it yourself instead of paying Ford + eleccy your just paying Ford to test then...

entirely up to you... Just offering opinions... Tell them you can't afford to fix it now, just wanna know what the problems is and how much it'll cost to fix...

At the end of the day, your car, your call mate...

Goodluck with it all anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

so strange guys, heater has started working again just randomly works now!!!!!! thats awesome haha

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Did you take the battery out at any stage?? Mine went flat om friday, left the lights on when i got home from night shift, and then my heater wouldn't work.. Was on cold when the battery went flat.. Then today when i was driving i turned it to hot and then cold a couple of times, heard a click and now it works again.. Weird.. :shock:

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Oh and i was at ford in bendigo at the spare parts desk and over heard a guy on the phone... Seems they are having heaps of FG's coming back for issues with the HYM module.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

glad i dont have an fg then. but yer seriously really strange some of the stuff that can happen,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next