custom rear parcel shelf docco 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: custom rear parcel shelf docco
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

Ive noticed that quite a few people have made comments asking about custom rear parcel shelfs. As I was one of these people, but could not really find anything to help out, I decided to do this and take pics to help everyone out that want to try this themselves. Hopefully if it is popular and helpful the mods will put it in the docco section!

I have not finished yet, as I have to still do some rear speaker mounds, and carpet/paint it but I will post pics as they come.

Before you touch your car, the first step is to get some decent wood for the project. I used 12mm MDF which was purchased at bunnings. You can use thicker if you like, depending on the reasons why you are doing it, I wouldnt recommend using much thinner then 12 as it started to get abit bendy and such which you dont really want, plus there wont be many ways to anchor it to metal. I measured up and found that 1500 x 600 was enough to cut to right shape but make sure u measure it up yourself first.

Now that you have your wood you can start taking apart your current parcel shelf. This is not too hard 2 accomplish, but you must remember this was done in an EB falcon, other models may be different.

First step is to pull down back seat to get to everything. Only tools u will need are your hands and a flathead screwdriver.

Next step is to use your flathead screwdriver to pop out the plastic screw-clips that are located around. Firstly there are 2 on top of the shelf, 1 on each side. Simply put screwdriver under it up pull it up.

Next step is to take the bolt out of the middle of parcel, it sits at the front on top. Mine was loose enough to undo by hand but if it is too tight, just use a tool to undo it

Now you want to take the plastic guards off from the corners behind the chairs. There are a few plastic screws in these. Just flat head under them again and pry them off. When you have them out, just pull the plastic guards off and place them in a safe spot where u wont forget where they are, probly same place all the clips are would be good :P

The last thing to do before you take the shelf out is to take off the rubber lining across the front. This is simple, just grab the end of it and pull back until it peels off

Now you have done this, you just have to reach under where the rubber came off, and pull the carpet back. I suggest you wear a glove or use a rag to do this as 15 yr old glue gets really gross when its removed lol once u peel it off glue, you can now remove the entire parcel shelf!

You have now removed your stock rear parcel shelf. You cant just leave it like that though, lets face it, it looks s**t and its useless as anything :P Now its time to put in your new parcel shelf. Heres how to make it!

First take the MDF that you bought and lay it on the ground. Take the parcel shelf that you removed from your car and lay it on top of the wood! This will give u a pretty close estimate to where to cut your wood. Trace around the wood with a pencil, keeping the carpet shelf flat as you possible. Once you have traced it, its time to cut! Kids, dont go using the jigsaw without your parents permission :P

When cutting, please wear a facemask as the mdf you are cutting is toxic and the dust when breathed in excessive amounts can be very carcenogenic - which in simple terms means: BAD!

Cut around the traced line staying just outside the line - remember: you can make the wood smaller, you cannot make it bigger!

Once you cut around it, its time to get ur measurements closer. Put it in the backseat, and put it up on the parcel - if you did it like me then guess what, you cannot fit it up can u? :P This is because you have cut it so it would fit in there if it was soft, because it does not bend, the wider part at the back will not fit through the narrower part at front. You have to measure where to cut so it will fit on. This means u will have a small area on each side of parcel that is not covered with wood, but that is ok as when u carpet it, you are going to cover that area up anyway! But if it makes u feel warmer inside, once u have it fitted, u can cut a piece from 1 of the offcuts to fit in there.
Take a pencil while it is sitting up there, and mark where to cut so it will fit up onto the metal - then out comes the jigsaw again. Cut around so it fits nicely up on there, and you have cut it so it does not point over the edge where the backseat will come up!

Fit the piece back up on shelf, hopefully it fits up there nicely :D

Congratulations, you have now taken off the stock parcel shelf, and replaced it with a custom one. Check back soon to see how to fit speaker mounds and carpet it so you can finish it off completely!

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

looking very comprehensive, keep it up and it may just become a docco

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Good work, but maybe put it in the interior modifications forum.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

or the car audio section maybe even

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SpuDEF wrote:
or the car audio section maybe even

i think this is more interior ;) because its just the parcel shelf.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: forum
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

sorry im not sure how to move it to a different forum, if you can tell me I can move it for you if u like

Post subject: Re: forum
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

eb_guy888 wrote:
sorry im not sure how to move it to a different forum, if you can tell me I can move it for you if u like

Should go in the techo docs section under car audio....no real reason why it would go anywhere else cause the only time you modify the shelf is due to new equipment etc being installed and improving the look.

Ive reported this post to the moderators asking for it to be moved as its the only real way to get it moved without you recreating the whole post in the right forum.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Thread moved to tech docos forum. Cheers guys - keep up the good work!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]