MPI convert back 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: MPI convert back
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford EA

SA, Australia

hey guys i have a ED motor that has been converted to cpi who knows why (motor is in EA) i want to convert back to MPI. how do i do this and were do i start? Really i have no idea where to even start. but i do have a mpi engine in a wreck. have heard allsorts like dont have to change computer unless i go to 4 speed and alike! i just want to know for real what i have to do? Have ya say all will help in some way
thanks

PS pictures would be a bonus

Post subject: Re: MPI convert back
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:50 am 
Fordmods Junkie

you will need, the ED ECU, injection manifold, engine loom ect. And your not really converting back at all. The EA was always cpi, thats why you will need everything to do the conversion.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
you will need, the ED ECU, injection manifold, engine loom ect. And your not really converting back at all. The EA was always cpi, thats why you will need everything to do the conversion.

yeah thanks the ea was always cpi yes but becouse someone has replced engine with a ED and runing the old EA cpi on it im just asking what i have to do? also the engines running gas only no fuel atm but that would change with the mpi but wat mods will have to happen with the gas

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

utekid2 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

yeah thanks the ea was always cpi yes but becouse someone has replced engine with a ED and runing the old EA cpi on it im just asking what i have to do? also the engines running gas only no fuel atm but that would change with the mpi but wat mods will have to happen with the gas

If you are going to go to the trouble of converting your EA to mpi then I suggest you put EL injection on, along with thermo fans and and serpentine belt setup. I suggest the best way to do this is buy a EL that has been damaged in an accident cheap and swap the wiring loom, ECU and all Engine accessories over to your EA. This way you could even put EL interior in your car.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
utekid2 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

If you are going to go to the trouble of converting your EA to mpi then I suggest you put EL injection on, along with thermo fans and and serpentine belt setup. I suggest the best way to do this is buy a EL that has been damaged in an accident cheap and swap the wiring loom, ECU and all Engine accessories over to your EA. This way you could even put EL interior in your car.

ok i dnt really want to got the expence of all that but i thought i could just get the ED engine back to orignial MPI after all its just a cheap daliy drive. bolt the maifolds back on change computer????? idk what if i cant do it i just wont bother thanks heaps anyway

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

of course you can do it mate. you just need the engine loom, injection manifold and ED ecu. But my point was if you are prepared to go that far you might aswell go that little further. An EL falcon can cost under $1000 these days. Of course a $1000 example would be trashed in the sense it most likely have have done a lot of kays, but you want the accessories and wiring etc witch would still be fine in most cases.

Basically what I said in the first post aswell as in reply to your PM's the other day.

You need to read threads in the garage like the one I sent the link you you for.

Last edited by XR-Lane on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
of course you can do it mate. you just need the engine loom, injection manifold and ED ecu. But my point was if you are prepared to go that far you might aswell go that little further. An EL falcon can cost under $1000 these days. Of course a $1000 example would be trashed in the sense it most likely have have done a lot of kays, but you want the accessories and wiring etc witch would still be fine in most cases.

Basicllay what I said in the first post aswell as in reply to your PS's the other day.

You need to read threads in the garage like the one I sent the link you you for.

ok engine loom? where would i get somthin like this from? do i have to wire up engine and eveything else too? MPI manifold ok i can get a EB ED one. ED ecu can rip on from wreckers aslong as its auto(as i have EA 3 speed box) any other suggestions????

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Mate like I said read the thread I linked you to in the PM i sent you. Also try the search function you WILL be surprised on how much info you will find on this subject because if has been brought up so many times before.

Thanks

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

utekid2 wrote:
PS pictures would be a bonus

You want someone to tell you in detail exactly what to do? basically spoon feed you the info?

I know the boys at ACF told you the same thing as I have done, you just need to do the research Like all of us have done before you. All the information is here on fordmods and I have linked you to a thread to get you started.

Last edited by XR-Lane on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

How much do you want to spend on the parts?

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
How much do you want to spend on the parts?

parts say 500 i got no idea what i need and more importantly what things r worth but if i was offered everythink i would think about it seriously. im goin to adel tomora to price a few places for a compleate job so ill know what sort price im looking at!

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

XR-Lane neither of your suggestions will work. He needs to use a pre-smartlock ECU.

With his budget either a smartlock bypass (to run ED or EL ECU) or a J3 chip and tune (more suitable with EL ecu/manifold as his gearbox will be either manual or have a separate TCU so he should run a manual ECU config or EA MPFI ecu which doesn't really care if the car is manual or auto) is possibly a little tight

It is perceivable if shopping was done well enough BBM is an option and will allow ECU controlled thermofans but it would be a scrape.

You'd have to budget $130 for J3 including a tune (EL XR6 Manual), and then get the ECU, BBM incl injectors, an MPFI engine bay loom, etc for within the rest of the budget (including replacing all rubber hoses under the manifold and maybe heater tap while it's off) It could be worth doing serpentine etc all at the same time as this if you can find all the bits cheap enough.

I got most of the bits I needed for my BBM/Serpentine conversion (manifold, injectors, vac switch, throttle pedal, throttle cable, cruise cable, alternator, alternator bracket, a/c pump, p/s pump, metal heater pipes, top hose and top thermostat housing) for $220, but still had to spend $50 on an ECU, $110 on a J3 (I bought a burner for this too but it's incidental as will be used on more than one car), $50 on another p/s pump, I was lucky and got a spare ECU connector from the wreckers with 1' of wiring attached for free, as well as the thermofan wiring loom. I bought a new water pump and serpentine belt from ebay for around $100, and I also replaced all the hoses and the heater tap while I had the manifold off (around $100).

Even with the p/s pump not having failed, the price I paid for the bits I needed was quite good and it blows the $500 budget.

It really depends how much you can spend, you need a fuel pump from either an MPFI or BBM car too and that will cost around $60-80 from most wreckers.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I know that he would need a smartlock bypass if he did not have the rest of it. When I said

Quote:

I said that loosely as I had already linked the guy to a thread that explains all of this in quite a bit of detail.

I also suggested getting a donor car and swapping everything over including dash and ALL wiring etc.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

That's an option but a very big job compared to just an MPFI conversion.

MPFI could be done for a first timer in around 8 hours or so, give or take a few hours depending on their experience spinning a spanner or two.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Oh yeah for sure I agree its a big job, but would make a great EA once finnished :) .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next