Fordmods Logo

03 BA ute with 05 BA Transmission problems. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: 03 BA ute with 05 BA Transmission problems.
Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I have just recently bought an 03 BA ute cheap because it needed a new transmission. So I bought one from a 05 sedan thinking it would be a sinch. I did notice when taking the stuffed one out of the ute that it had an extra wiring plug that the new one did not have. So I ended up swapping the extension housings over so I could still plug in the third connector. once filled I tried to take it for a drive but nothing happens. It does not even try and move, its like its stuck in park. The selector in the instrument cluster changes when I change gears and after a few moments of trying to get it moving the selector on the cluster starts flashing. Does anyone have any ideas on what is happening? My first guess is that the 05 box is wired up differently, considering the absence of the third plug.

Cheers

Josh

Post subject: Re: 03 BA ute with 05 BA Transmission problems.
Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:34 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Sounds strange. As far as I know the cluster will flash when the transmission is over heating.
If its 05 it may be from a BF model. I know the BF Ecus were wired a little different but id assume the btr box was the same..

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Yeah its strange :) This is my first B series so I don't know FA about them, including filling the transmission. I think I put enough fluid in the transmission as it was overflowing from the bleeder when I was taking the hose out :lol: If the level is too low would the transmission act like this? It may get too hot if there not enough fluid in it causing the cluster to flash maybe?

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I was also thinking the selector switch was knackered? But it wont start in gear and it still shows correct gear selection on the cluster.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Might be a longshot, I just pulled out the looms connected to the box and pluged them back in to make sure they had a good connection. Now the cluster is flashing as soon as the car turns on. I will change the gear selector switch and see if that helps.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I read this on another thread, maybe this is why the box wont work?

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 7.45 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Confirmed that my car does not have ABS so at least I know why I needed to swap the extension housings over. So technically then the box should be wired up the same then? I may have bought a dodgy box? Very annoying :(

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

BA with no ABS ? :shock:
Is fluid correct type ? If the box is full yes it runs from the side of the fill plug but best results if you fill it with the car evenly levelled. As we know low fluid will also cause issues with no drive etc.
Does sound like a dodgy box.. :?

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Yep no ABS lol. I'm not sure about the fluid level to be honest. I had the car level and it was running while I was filling it up. You are meant to have the engine running while filling these BA transmissions up? Thats what I assumed because thats what it says on the dipstick on my older cars :)

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ok, I have changed the selector switch and the gear selector notification in the cluster is still flashing. I did however manage to move about a foot in reverse and then it sort of faded out. No bad noises or anything just sort of lost power then to nothing. I am now hoping I did not fill the transmission properly. Is there any tips on how I can fill this transmission corectly?

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 am 

NSW, Australia

Ideally it needs to be filled with the car jacked or raised so that it is straight with the engine running. keep filling until the fill hole starts overflowing.
Did you take the pan off the box before hand and drain / check the oil ? I assumed you may have as to why you filled it.
Was it full of clutch shavings or metal shavings ? Did you notice any ?
It is normal for a little bit of clutch material but if its excessive and you also have gold metal shavings in the oil as well there is a good chance the box you got is a dud, and it will rev and not move if the clutches are worn. (Assuming you installed it correctly)

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

anything happening with this , i want to know if you got it fixed

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]