1000 hp gear box 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: 1000 hp gear box
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Magnums are only rated to 700lb/ft. It will need something like a Jericho or similar.

And ZF's are only rated to 600nm, and we all know they can go way past that. 700 is pretty conservative and if its not being drag raced it will handle it no worries.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Magnums are only rated to 700lb/ft. It will need something like a Jericho or similar.

And ZF's are only rated to 600nm, and we all know they can go way past that. 700 is pretty conservative and if its not being drag raced it will handle it no worries.

Yep as said before, running on the salt is nothing like drag racing, low driveline loads up until you are about to run through the traps @ WOT. I was just doing some rememberising, my dad used to tow Keir Wilson's drag r32 gtr, that thing had 1300 HP running through a r33 gearbox IIRC, but it had custom internals and was air shifted. It used to handle that power doing 9000 rpm 4wd launches all day.

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

buckets4LTR wrote:
NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Yep as said before, running on the salt is nothing like drag racing, low driveline loads up until you are about to run through the traps @ WOT. I was just doing some rememberising, my dad used to tow Keir Wilson's drag r32 gtr, that thing had 1300 HP running through a r33 gearbox IIRC, but it had custom internals and was air shifted. It used to handle that power doing 9000 rpm 4wd launches all day.

A Viper spec T56 will handle what your doing.....It will be benificial, however, to run a thicker than spec oil in it, and have a cooler to keep the integredy of the oil......since the runs are like 5km or more.......thats my thoughts.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
67RCE wrote:

There is a big difference between 700lb/ft and 700nm.

700lb/ft is approx 950nm.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
67RCE wrote:

There is a big difference between 700lb/ft and 700nm.

700lb/ft is approx 950nm.

I was using the ZF rating as an example, it really had no correlation to the rating on the manual box discussed. I was just trying to show that factory ratings can easily be exceeded, with a shorter service life being the trade off.

The Magnum will easily handle more than 700 lb/ft in this application.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2