Fordmods Logo

1965 Falcon brake upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: 1965 Falcon brake upgrade
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

would like to upgrade my 65 falcon 289V8 3sp brake system from a single bowl master cylinder to a dual bowl one. The car is a drum/drum non power brake system currently and I would like to know when Ford started using the dual master cylinder on there drum/drum brake cars, and if it can be used on my 65 Falcon without a lot of mods. i.e. bolt to fire wall utilizing the current bolt pattern, have the same bore size? I know some of the specialty shops offer the coversion master cylinder but they are about double of a aftermarket one from like NAPA for a 67 Mustang or Falcon but what they can't tell me is if the bore size of the dual bowl drum/drum is the same as the single bowl. So was wondering if anyone has made this conversion? Thanks for any help and or advise. George

Post subject: Re: 1965 Falcon brake upgrade
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

It is easier to get a complete system from people like Hopper's Stoppers....they have the whole thing, plus being engineered as well.
A mate of mine has a 65 Mustang, and thats what he did, and being engineered made it easier for him to register it here in Qld.
It is on the expensive side, but if you go and make a system to fit, then you will need an engineer to approve it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

CJH, Do you have the web site information for Hopper Stopper ? Couldn't find them when I did a search. I have done this conversion on several A body Mopar's by using factory first generation dual bowl master cylinders to replace a single bowl without any problem as Mopar use the same brake system for the drum to drum brake system from 60 thru 70 all you have to do is add a extra lines and the a distrubution block to hook the lines up and a brake system warning light if you want it. I was lucky as there is guys here in this small town that had the stock dual bowl system A bodies I could copy but I'm the only Falcon owner here in this small farming community that is why I was looking for some person that might have already done this conversion. Just trying to save money and also use stock ford parts so later on I can just go to a parts store to get parts and not have to wait on shipping to get them. I appreciate your reply and would appreciate if you could send me a contact for Hopper Stopper.
Thanks and Have a Great OVAL Summer.
George

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The page in particular is this one.......from Hopper's Stoppers.
http://www.hoppers.com.au/falconbrakes.htm

I know what you mean about the A Bodies....I have done the conversion myself with them...I have 2 x 1962 SV1's....and have done it to others as well.

The Fords are a lot of stuffin around...different stub axles, lower arms, upper arms, TRE sizes, etc.
Having a 1965 Falcon/Mustang, and converting to 1971 brakes or later isn't a straight forward thing...they just don't swap over that easy.......too many changes.

Read that page ^^^^^^^.....and you'll see what I mean......I am no expert....just a little expirience.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]