Fordmods Logo

2 low! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
shoey50 wrote:
shocks wont do much you are better off cutting the standard springs this is what i have done in my car (ef falcon gli with 17" ba xr8 wheels) and it rides fine i cut i think it was 2 coils all round

i'll refer my above post

and add this little bit.

cut springs are not legal for a reason.
there are dangerous.
your car will not handle or stop properly

one day you kill some one and you will have no insurence at all once your car is inspected (yes that happens when you have a crash) and you will face huge fines and have to live the rest of you llife knowing you killed some because you're a tight a***.

go and get some f**k lower springs and get you mobile death machine off the road. god help you if you hit some one i know. on second thought god don't help them just let me rip s**t through them

my car rides just as good if not better compared to my mates ef that has king spring super super lows and his springs have poped out and mine havent now how is my illegal car more dangerous than his legal car??

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
is it alrite to install superlows without new shockies?

Yes and no. I think king actually recommends shortened struts for the front. Either way its a good idea no get the most out of lowering your car, stop shocks from bottoming out and potentially stop springs from becoming unseated. Unless you're only after the look.....

Standard rears should be fine on a live rear axle. Your thoughts on this tickford 6?

LOL @ cut springs. I've been told it can be done "properly" but either way, why would you wanna drive an unroadworthy car?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
mitch_anderson wrote:
is it alrite to install superlows without new shockies?

Yes and no. I think king actually recommends shortened struts for the front. Either way its a good idea no get the most out of lowering your car, stop shocks from bottoming out and potentially stop springs from becoming unseated. Unless you're only after the look.....

oh well...i'll have to buy some shockies as well then

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

shoey50 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
shoey50 wrote:
shocks wont do much you are better off cutting the standard springs this is what i have done in my car (ef falcon gli with 17" ba xr8 wheels) and it rides fine i cut i think it was 2 coils all round

i'll refer my above post

and add this little bit.

cut springs are not legal for a reason.
there are dangerous.
your car will not handle or stop properly

one day you kill some one and you will have no insurence at all once your car is inspected (yes that happens when you have a crash) and you will face huge fines and have to live the rest of you llife knowing you killed some because you're a tight a***.

go and get some f**k lower springs and get you mobile death machine off the road. god help you if you hit some one i know. on second thought god don't help them just let me rip s**t through them

my car rides just as good if not better compared to my mates ef that has king spring super super lows and his springs have poped out and mine havent now how is my illegal car more dangerous than his legal car??

the problem with his car is he is a tight a*** and didn't get the right shocks to go with his springs. just like you are for cutting your springs.
and by the way his car is also illegal because his shocks are not short enough to hold his springs in.

i don't care if you think you car handles good or not it is illegal to cut your springs. no point trying to fight it. when you cut your springs it changes the spring rate and weakens the the spring, they can sag and crack with out warning.

both you and your friend are a danger to other road users and hope you get whats comming to you.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

I think you'd find superlows wouldn't pass a roadworthy test in Victoria either as you've already said his springs pop out - that's unroadworthy. Plus they make the car ride height too low - that's unroadworthy too. Why would you want a car that low in Sale anyway, the roads around there are s**t.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Seems to be another case of, fully sik look, more interested in the look, than how it handles, you never cut springs, :roll: , be contant with what you have, not looking ffuullllyyyy siikkk uleh. Save some money and do it properly.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

The problem with cutting spring is that when you heat them up you affect the tension on the spring and as you drive over the next few years your car will be going down till one day the springs will fall out.

If you want to lower your car more than what you paid for then go the the manufacture they will either do it at that height or laugh at you.

I have done this (cut springs) it was cheap at the time but when I look at it , it was stupid.People should not knock others for what they read on all discution sites they read that people do things but don't know any better.

The car as pointed out is not a death machine at the moment but a bad dissision on his part. All modified cars could be classed as death machines if that is what you want as any change to the f@rt Billons spent to get a standard car on the road and safe.

DQ

SORRY BAD SPELLING

In Henry I Trust

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB II

QLD, Australia

Everybody now repeat after me 'I SHALL NOT CUT MY SPRINGS'
once again for the dummies 'I SHALL NOT CUT MY SPRINGS'

shiiiiiiiiiit

hey shoey50 I'd suggest you go and drive a car that has been done properly and handles properly. You may just understand then.

Clever people are paid lots of money to design cars
and clever people also design,test and manufacture aftermarket bits.

All we have to do is be clever enough to realise that they may just be
cleverer than us.

if your gonna do it, do it properly.

Still thinking of something witty

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stikky wrote:
Everybody now repeat after me 'I SHALL NOT CUT MY SPRINGS'
once again for the dummies 'I SHALL NOT CUT MY SPRINGS'

shiiiiiiiiiit

hey shoey50 I'd suggest you go and drive a car that has been done properly and handles properly. You may just understand then.

Clever people are paid lots of money to design cars
and clever people also design,test and manufacture aftermarket bits.

All we have to do is be clever enough to realise that they may just be
cleverer than us.

if your gonna do it, do it properly.

very well said.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR8 - GT Replica

QLD, Australia

dasmq wrote:
The problem with cutting spring is that when you heat them up you affect the tension on the spring and as you drive over the next few years your car will be going down till one day the springs will fall out.

I have a question. Not that i plan on cutting my springs as i already have lowered pedders on there with koni adjustables. But just for arguements sake, if someone was to cut their springs with say, a hacksaw, the spring would not be heated up, and in theory, should not affect the spring rate set by the manufacturer. Comments please......

5L, 5 Speed, 2.5" exhaust, 17" EL GT's, GT body kit. Pearl Black.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: VL RB30E

VIC, Australia

i think its more the ammount of coils

Spooling soon...

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

EB XR8 wrote:
dasmq wrote:

I have a question. Not that i plan on cutting my springs as i already have lowered pedders on there with koni adjustables. But just for arguements sake, if someone was to cut their springs with say, a hacksaw, the spring would not be heated up, and in theory, should not affect the spring rate set by the manufacturer. Comments please......

friction from saw = heat, not as much as an oxy, but there's still heat... I can understand this rate talk going on... but not sure iof im on the right track..

If springs tension is tuned to the amount of coils, cut that, and the tension of the spring goes out the window? plus sagging....hmmm

I had cut springs in my car before, from the previous owner.. they started sagging, caused tyre problems, suspension problems, and strange noises of all sorts... now I have pedders all round, alot better...

problem is, my pedders springs just aren't low enough.

my thoughts anyway

cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

EB XR8 wrote:
dasmq wrote:

hey,
the spring rate is governed by the following formular :

stiffness = G*(d^4)/(8*n*D^4)
where G = shear modulas
d = wire diametre
n = number of coils
D = diametre of coils

so, by reducing n, you will increase the stiffness of a helical spring.

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR8 - GT Replica

QLD, Australia

partie wrote:
EB XR8 wrote:
dasmq wrote:

hey,
the spring rate is governed by the following formular :

stiffness = G*(d^4)/(8*n*D^4)
where G = shear modulas
d = wire diametre
n = number of coils
D = diametre of coils

so, by reducing n, you will increase the stiffness of a helical spring.

A fellow Mechanical Engineering Student???

5L, 5 Speed, 2.5" exhaust, 17" EL GT's, GT body kit. Pearl Black.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Have you checked to see if it is riding on the bump stops??????

This is a common mistake...

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next