3 bolt/6 bolt pressure plate for E series Flywheel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: 3 bolt/6 bolt pressure plate for E series Flywheel
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

It's been mentioned on previous threads that EBII onwards went to a 6 bolt pressure plate as opposed to a 3 bolt as in EA-EBI. My EBII workshop manual still shows a 3 bolter, so don't know if this is fact or not.
Obviously the 6 bolter has a stronger mounting due to the extra 3 bolts. I assume this is really only necessary if the pressure plate uses a higher clamping pressure. Both installs use the same diameter clutch (I6's that is).

I've got the gear together for a conversion on my wagon, but all I could find was a 3 bolt pressure plate/flywheel setup - these seem to be more common than a 6 bolt setup.
The pressure plate looks like it has provision to drill the extra 3 holes, and the flywheel will need to have the holes drilled and tapped to suit. None of the other holes in the flywheel will match, so the extra 3 will need to be added.

So:

Q1: Is the 6 bolt pressure plate simply a 3 bolter with the extra 3 holes already drilled ?

Q2: If you wanted to convert to a 6 bolt setup, it would simply be a matter of using a 6 bolt pressure plate clutch kit, getting the extra 3 holes drilled and tapped on the 3 bolt flywheel, along with the usual face skim, but get the flywheel balanced due to the extra holes drilled ?

Q3: As I won't be towing horse floats and be simply everyday normal driving, would the 3 bolt setup be more than enough for my purposes? Granted though the EF/EL's do have a 6 bolt setup, but is it overkill since the power/torque difference between std I6 EB's and EL's is only 12kw/16Nm ?

Hope this all makes sense.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]